MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle Racing

Stoner hails Silverstone switch

Stoner hails Silverstone switch - Forums [Biker Match] Stoner hails Silverstone switch - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle Racing /

Stoner hails Silverstone switch

Ducati rider Casey Stoner says moving the British MotoGP from Donington to Silverstone is "fantastic". Silverstone agreed a five-year deal last summer in the wake of Donington winning the Formula 1 grand prix, which it has subsequently lost. "Silverstone is fantastic; the speed is a lot higher and the racing will be a lot better there," he told BBC Sport. Stoner said his only regret was that revisions to the track layout would remove the flat-out Bridge corner. "Unfortunately with Silverstone the best corner I was looking forward to - going underneath the bridge - at the last complex is not part of the circuit," the 24-year-old Australian said. "So that's the only disappointing part, that we haven't got that corner there; it was a lot of fun. Rule changes will improve MotoGP - Stoner"For some reason Don(ington) has never agreed with me. The only part of the track I enjoyed when I was younger was the tight twisty section at the last bit, which everyone hates." Stoner, the 2007 world champion, also said he hoped he might receive a little more support from British fans following the change of venue. He received little crowd backing at Donington, despite doing much of his early racing in the UK. "I appreciate everyone's help that I had in the UK but for some reason I've got 70% of fans [against me]," he said. "I might have a few more fans there (Silverstone). To be honest I've never really enjoyed Donington." Stoner missed three races of last season after suffering from fatigue, but returned late in the season after a lactose intolerance problem was diagnosed and claimed three late wins including the last in Malaysia. Stoner explained: "It was a scare, it helped not to think about what people were saying. I think things will be a lot more even now Casey Stoner on the new MotoGP season "At one point we went to see so many doctors and nobody had an idea. They thought it might be the end of my career. If we hit another hot race I was going to be destroyed. "It was right to take that time off and it was huge decision and although I was not pressured into the decision I saw a lot of doctors only one came up with the fact that I was lactose intolerant. "He was the only one who looked at all the blood tests and saw that I was on the low side on all of them. He looked at all the different causes - glucose, lactose and salt intolerance and the mixture of salt and lactose was the answer - and we are very grateful to him. "It was great to come back to people with a reason." With his health restored, Stoner is excited by the prospect of significant changes having been made by Ducati for 2010. "The first two seasons the bike was basically the same - I certainly did not develop the bike," he stated. "I think they have done a very good job with this bike we have a lot more torque and a lot more engine and a lot more connection with the rear wheel." During the 2010 season riders will be limited to six engines for the season, a development Stoner favours. "It will be fun won't it? Everyone is in the same position and it might even things out in the long run so that factories with a lot of resources will not be able to just thrown a lot of resources at it," added Stoner. "All these people are saying that satellite bikes are not being competitive - I think things will be a lot more even now," Stoner added. "I think the one tyre rule did a lot it stopped a lot of complaining. 606: DEBATE Your thoughts on the 2010 MotoGP championship Dani Pedrosa, Valentino Rossi, Jorge Lorenzo and Stoner dominated in last season but Stoner is backing Ducati team-mate Nicky Hayden to put his bad luck behind him to produce a strong challenge during this campaign. "I think there will be a similar four a the top but whether anybody else joins us is up to them, there are rookies coming in so we don't know where they will finish," Stoner added. "Nicky (Hayden) was taken out in three races last year which was pretty unlucky. Let's hope he can pick things up for this year."

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 19/01/2010 18:50  

Lets hope he uses the same tyres at Silverstone lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 19/01/2010 21:58  

It's going to be ACE so looking forward to the racing season starting again. get yourselves along to some this year

Update Reply
No 1 fan @ 20/01/2010 06:52  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email