MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Bikes V Cars

Bikes V Cars - Forums [Biker Match] Bikes V Cars - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Bikes V Cars

I've noticed over the past few weeks that 'tin canners' get repeatedly slated for failing to see bikes and even car 'brands' are being targeted as if the badge makes any difference??

I drive a car mostly but also ride a bike and so i'm always looking out for bikes. As a biker we weave in and out of the tin canners, filter through them when they're going too slow for us yet expect them to understand where we are and what our intentions are when we arrive behind them like a balistic missile and peel their paint off with the acceleration when we pass!

I've ridden 5k over the last 3 months and not had a single incident or 'close shave' with any car including beemers or audis cos as a biker i'm also aware of car drivers limitations and ride accordingly. Some car drivers have never ridden a bike so have no real understanding of our vulnerability!

If i'm in the car I pass lorries with caution as I know they have blind spots the same as car drivers do where bikes are concerned.

Maybe if we all became road users instead of 'tin canners' and 'bikers' we could all be educated in each others needs and far less 'close shaves' or ultimately accidents would occur between us.

Anyone any thoughts on this??

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 23/09/2009 23:30  

think you hit the nail on the head buddy.....nice post

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 23/09/2009 23:32  

Nice one RK

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 23/09/2009 23:40  

"Quote" Arrive behind them like a ballistic missile and strip their paint with the acceleration when we pass them ???? You ride a Fazer !!!!!!! That only happens when your on a Blackbird...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 23/09/2009 23:42  

i got one of them, and i agree they do do that !!!!!!!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 23/09/2009 23:43  

I've been riding bikes n driving cars since the 70's. In 79 I wrote off a car with my bike, was my fault for overtaking near a junction, at the time i blamed the car driver for not indicating. I've seen some absolute idiot bikers taking stupid risks and i've seen a white van man try n take a bike out by swerving into him and hitting the bikes exhaust (M25 a few weeks back). I stick with the view that everyone is out to kill me on the bike and ride accordingly, i've not had a single bike problem since the 70's but I have been rear ended in the car 7 times by other cars. Ride within your limits and keep a zone of safety around yourself and you will reduce the chance of an accident but you will never be totally safe on a road as there is always some nutter doing something stupid. Bikers or tin canners we all need to have our heads tuned into staying alive and watching out for that idiot, wether they are cyclists, car, bike, coach or HGV drivers.

Update Reply
nuttydriver @ 23/09/2009 23:45  

jockwalian don't make me educate you on the performance of a Fazer, we've done that one before

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 23/09/2009 23:47  

I'm only a car passenger, not this year, or pilly (again occasionally) so the Nut will refrain from commenting, will stick to camping thread and abuse accordingly!!

Update Reply
Nutkin68 @ 23/09/2009 23:47  

well said rk and very true, also there r the idiot car drivers like the 1 i came across the other week, i woz sat opposite my house indicating to turn right 2 park outside my house, waiting 4 a gap in the cars, wen the driver behind me decided to overtake me just as i woz turnin. luckily i seen him and stopped b4 he knocked me off.

Update Reply
drobess @ 23/09/2009 23:47  

Knicker fillers !!! Best bike by a mile that i`ve ever owned Sorry for going off thread but i must bestow the virtues of owning one of these.Tour for ever,scratch with the best of them and put the 6mm spacer in and Rossi would have a problem keeping up !

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 23/09/2009 23:49  

6mm spacer jock ?? tell me more buddy

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 23/09/2009 23:50  

drobs could that be down to our teeny little indicators! I've been behind many a bike with those tiny little LED indicators that are ni on impossible to see in sunlight. Not saying that was the problem but you'll never know. Car indicators are much larger and easier to spot

Nut, don't start!

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 23/09/2009 23:51  

Ian i`ll PM you cuz i`m being rude and stealing the thread.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 23/09/2009 23:55  

Yes get your hands off my thread jock!!

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 23/09/2009 23:56  

ok thanks

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 23/09/2009 23:56  

Sorry Rusty ! But as you ride a Fazer you must be thick skinned anyway !

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 23/09/2009 23:58  

Nuts only just begun.....

Update Reply
Nutkin68 @ 23/09/2009 23:59  

*ahem*

So back to thread then

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 24/09/2009 00:44  

RK....................does a 20yr old virago have led indicators??????

Update Reply
drobess @ 24/09/2009 00:59  

Erm drobs I think not but they're still tiny compared to a cars

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 24/09/2009 01:01  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email