MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Do You Suffer From Migraines?

Do You Suffer From Migraines? - Forums [Biker Match] Do You Suffer From Migraines? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Do You Suffer From Migraines?

You may be aware of this: Bright Idea: Ban On Popular Bulbs A Turn-Off Sunday, August 30 09:17 am © Sky News 2009 Shoppers are stockpiling traditional light bulbs while they still have the chance. An EU ban comes into force on Tuesday making it illegal for retailers and wholesalers to import most of the old-style bulbs. It means once stocks have run out, the only ones available will be the more pricey, low energy variety. Roger King, who runs Hampton Hill Hardware in Middlesex, said: "I've taken orders this week for quantites in the 50s and 100s." "People don't like being told what to do for a start. Many are concerned that they are not going to be able to see properly with the new type of light because it rapidly diminishes in effectiveness." But the evidence suggests energy-saving bulbs have come a long way since they first went on sale. While much more expensive, these days they are said to be as bright as conventional ones but use a fifth of the energy and last up to 10 times longer. It is estimated that each bulb could save as much as £40 before they need to be replaced. Energy Saving Trust spokesman, Richard Llloyd, said: "There is no time limit on when people have to replace their bulbs but the question would be: why wouldn't you? "They save you money, they save energy, they could save one million tons of CO2, which is the equivalent of taking 70,000 cars off the road." But one shopper at Mr King's hardware store was not impressed: "It's probably another big brother attitude, everybody trying to tell each other what they should and shouldn't be doing." Another was happy with the change: "There are a lot of people who are very selfish and think about their lifetime but we have got to think about our children and our children's children." The first bulbs to go will be conventional frosted or pearl bulbs. Time is also running out to buy clear 100 watt bulbs. Lower wattage ones will be phased out by 2012. ---------------------------------- But were you also aware of this?: Energy-saving bulbs 'can cause migraines' warn experts By JENNY HOPE and DAVID DERBYSHIRE Last updated at 12:52 04 January 2008 Energy saving light bulbs can trigger migraines, health experts and charities warned last night. They have been inundated with complaints about the fluorescent bulbs, which are due to become compulsory in homes within four years. Campaigners are calling for the Government to allow an opt-out for people with health problems so they can continue to use old-style bulbs. The warning follows concerns that eco-bulbs can trigger dizziness, loss of focus and discomfort among people with epilepsy. There have also been complaints from people with lupus - an auto-immune disease causing many symptoms including pain. Low energy lightbulbs are miniature versions of the fluorescent strip lights common in offices and kitchens. The latest generation are the size of conventional incandescent bulbs with a filament, but use just a quarter of the energy. Although they are often five times the cost of old-fashioned bulbs, they use around a quarter of the energy and can pay for themselves within months. Critics, however, say the technology is still not up to scratch. Many complain the light is cold or green, and they take up to a minute to warm up properly, and because they are fluorescent, they flicker. The Migraine Action Association said there was growing concern about the links between the bulbs and severe headaches. The charity's Paul Jansen said: "For some people a migraine attack can be triggered by fluorescent lights, video screens, stroboscopic effects and flashing lights. "Most of the currently available low energy light bulbs are based on fluorescent light technology. "We hope that the Government will allow regular light bulbs still to be available to those who need them.' The Government has acknowledged low energy bulbs could pose a problem. In a written parliamentary answer, Health Minister Ivan Lewis said: "It is known some people with epilepsy may be affected by energy saving light bulbs." The Lighting Association denied that flicker was a problem with modern energy saving bulbs. "Compact fluorescent lamps give a constant, flicker-free, nonstroboscopic light," said spokesman Jo Jackson. She warned against poor quality, cheap lamps, saying: "A small number of cases have been reported by people who suffer from reactions to certain types of linear (straight line) fluorescent lamps. "These were almost certainly triggered by old technology." A spokesman for the Energy Saving Trust said: "The technology has changed massively over the last few years. We would advise people to only buy bulbs with the Energy Saving Recommended - SR - logo." ---------------------------------- If you are a suffer it may be wise to do your own Googling to see if there is any more foundation for this assumption and if so maybe stockpile some of the old type bulbs? I personally hate the light these new bulbs give off (once they have finally warmed up), think they look ugly and believe they also might contain mercury? They are also more expensive and take more energy to manufacture than the old type so I can't really believe these 'green' savings figures.... If anybody has any further information on this, please let me know.

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 30/08/2009 21:35  

TC you may be aware but there is a law relating to the 'type' of lighting in the workplace due to some types of lights ability to cause migraine (due to the rapid flicker of fluerescent light) or the ability to make things appear stationary (the stroboscopic effect) which is very dangerous around rotating machinery.

Surely the same rules for safety must apply to homes so there is a valid argument against 'low ' energy bulbs. Personally I think they're a load of sh*te from an efficiency and a safety point of view!

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 30/08/2009 21:45  

Yep, RK, you are right! I remember when they were looking into the whole 'Sick Building' syndrome that fluorescent lights were having a lot of side effects. I personally think LED lighting is the way forward...

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 30/08/2009 21:53  

wouldn't fancy using a bacon slicer under a fluerescent tube if I was deaf!

Now did I turn that off, ooh ya f**ker, figers gone!

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 30/08/2009 21:54  

TC I totally agree and the fact you're seein them all over the place shows there's already a big market for them, the people know best in the end by voting with their pocket

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 30/08/2009 22:19  

I am still trying to work out how the deaf butcher lost their fingers....

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 30/08/2009 22:33  

Well he couldn't hear the motor, the light made it look stationary and he caught his fingers on the blade reaching for the off button obviously!.......

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 30/08/2009 22:37  

I've used 'energy saving' bulbs for years, bought some of them, and they aren't that expensive, not as expensive as they were when they first came out, I can't afford to spend much,and others I've got free from the electric company and the C A B (Citizens Advice Bureau) I prefer them to ordinary bulbs especially when I get up in the middle of the nite cos they are less painful on the eyes. I use an ES bulb in the kitchen but leave it on all the time cos they take a while to get to full glow. Only place I don't have E S bulbs are the bathroom and toilet, not in there long enough to worry about wasted energy. I've never noticed any of the E S bulbs flicker until the new one I put in one of the bedrooms, that flickers when I first switch it on, not sure why tho. If the ordinary bulbs aren't going to be manufactured anymore that will mean a load of folk will have to change their lighting system cos ES bulbs aren't compatable with DIMMER switches. I'm surprised about the migraine claim.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 31/08/2009 12:27  

kwak there's been loads of health & safety cases going to court where workers are being subjected to 8 hours a day of fluorescent light. Obviously made worse because some peeps don't move around at work and sit at a desk all day.

Isn't leaving the kitchen light on all the time enough evidence to suggest they're sh*te, surely that defeats the object of them being low energy

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 31/08/2009 21:38  

and they have mercury in them! another load of cobblers methinks dreamed up by someone who is a bit of a 40 watt bulb himself!

Update Reply
pondlife @ 31/08/2009 21:46  

What you mean you didn't know they had mercury in them and double up as a thermometer pond tsk!

Bit behind the times mate aren't ya!

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 31/08/2009 21:55  

long as i can see in the dark i dont give a fk!!!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 31/08/2009 22:02  

If you can see in the dark TM, there's no argument for you

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 31/08/2009 22:12  

i leave big decisions to the powers that be! theve given me a good life so far!! as for seein in the dark its carrots!!! guy gibson swore by em!! fook my spellin!!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 31/08/2009 22:42  

TM maybe you should open an opticians that sells nothing but carrots. Getting the frames to fit could be a bit more difficult mind you

Not sure who guy gibson is but i've no doubt he can see in the dark!

fook is spelled fcku mate (due to site rules that was an anagram lol)

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 31/08/2009 23:03  

Sheesh RK - Guy Gibson is that dude from Lethal Weapon! Think he was in Lethal Weapon 2 too (tutu?)

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 01/09/2009 07:52  

Desmond?

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 01/09/2009 08:47  

Talking about Desmond Tutu , he will be in York soon i read somewhere ...in my book he belongs in the same company as the MAN as in MANdela ....may they live many more years , both of them .

Update Reply
excalibur @ 01/09/2009 17:53  

Let's hope so exc, as once they are gone you know how bad it will be in SA....

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 01/09/2009 18:03  

I did'nt want to say it TC it seems you know more than you let on ...but i've picked that up already !

Update Reply
excalibur @ 01/09/2009 18:11  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email