MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Free Interactive Riding Guide DVD

Free Interactive Riding Guide DVD - Forums [Biker Match] Free Interactive Riding Guide DVD - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Free Interactive Riding Guide DVD

Free Interactive Riding Guide for Motorcyclists The Highways Agency has produced a free interactive DVD to help motorcyclists keep safe while riding. Using clever filming techniques, it puts you on the bike, inside the helmet and close to the road, helping you to identify hazards and 'read the road'. Great Roads Great Rides 2 Motorcyclists are 30 times more likely to be killed or seriously injured than people in cars The DVD includes a 14 minute ride-out film following the rider from motorway on to urban and countryside roads. It also includes an interactive challenge when the disc is used with a computer. Here the ride-out section freezes at certain points so the viewer can have a go at identifying the clues that they would use when reading the road ahead. When the viewer gets a highlighted clue right they score a point. There is also an option to display all useful hints and tips throughout the journey. Where to get a copy The DVD will be distributed at events organised or attended by the Highways Agency and its partners. You can also order one by calling the Highways Agency Information Line on 08457 504030. Road Safety Minister Jim Fitzpatrick said: "The new 'Great Roads Great Rides 2' DVD is a valuable addition to the existing materials designed to improve the safety of motorcyclists. "Filmed using helicopter views and cameras on the bike and helmet, it gives riders an invaluable view of the road, helping to sharpen up their observation skills and riding technique."

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 12/08/2009 08:56  

You can also watch it online here: public.tv/channel.php?group=4EW9-3P8K-9MF4-C6GO-YVU5

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 12/08/2009 09:00  

dunno if this is the same thing , but lately i've noticed an ad on tv with a biker heading home and various obstacles appearing , ends with "IF ONLY" very good .

Update Reply
excalibur @ 12/08/2009 09:05  

Different thing, exc but still a good ad!

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 12/08/2009 09:07  

Nice one TC - cheers for posting... I still live in hope of sorting my life out and actually ending up with 2 wheels before my blessed CBT runs out!

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 12/08/2009 09:51  

Just ordered mine TC, great post mate

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 12/08/2009 10:03  

WB - *puts in mock Mexican accent* "Yoo can doo eet* RK - have watched it a online a couple of times and just about to order the dvd so I can do the interactive questions. Think it is very well produced. Glad to see it mentions using reflections in shop windows. I use them a LOT when I am driving (especially when parking).

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 12/08/2009 10:19  

driving or riding TC i suppose both ways ..bike or car ?

Update Reply
excalibur @ 12/08/2009 10:22  

Driving more as it easier to watch the gap when reversing from a side perspective than judging it in mirrors. I am lucky in that I hardly ride down high streets.. (lucky me!)

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 12/08/2009 10:26  

Just spoke to a very nice lady and ordered three copies. Why not order yourself one and make it into a quiz night with some fellow bikers? Could be fun....

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 12/08/2009 10:28  

sounds good to me , anything that makes the going safer is worth a few bucks.

Update Reply
excalibur @ 12/08/2009 10:32  

These Government departments work on statistics so if more people get in touch and order then hopefully the funding for motorcycle safety will increase for next year (for both education and actual highway enhancements). That is the Way of the World at the moment....

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 12/08/2009 10:40  

Just ordered 2 copies of this from a very nice lady from the Highways Agency. Thanks TC, wouldn't have known about this if you hadn't posted.

Update Reply
Bandit_Mr_P @ 12/08/2009 13:00  

i have always admired myself in shop windows!!! now i'm in love with the girl from the highways agency!!!!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 12/08/2009 13:06  

That poor girl... what have I let her in for?

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 12/08/2009 13:35  

hardest days work for a long time trying to understand the gibberish from sex starved morons from BM!!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 12/08/2009 13:50  

Good vid. A truly model motorcyclist! I quite liked the bit where he was following the three cars on a rural road, came around a right hander and I thought "Come on man! I'd have been past that first car there!" A second later another bike appears overtaking our Glenn and the first car!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 12/08/2009 15:21  

What happened to "Great roads great bikes 1 the early years" Id like to see them in order. Can i get it at blockbusters?

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 12/08/2009 18:15  

Thanks from me teecee, tho I didn't pester the lady Ian has ordered one for my son so he can have a look at it too

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 12/08/2009 22:03  

Grrr.... the original Great Roads Great Rides DVD was released in 2007 and had some real interesting topics: "Great Roads, Great Rides" takes riders step by step through everything they need to know; from basic maintenance checks at the start of the season to riding out with a group. It looks at how to overtake and ride through bends safely so you don’t get caught out and what to do if you’re first on the scene of an accident involving another rider. "Great Roads, Great Rides" is backed by the Academy and DSA, and features contributions by Cleveland Police, the Virgin Mobile Race Team and many other partners all named in the "Behind the Scenes" section of the DVD. The unique nature of the DVD is that is has been written by bikers, for bikers and as such, is pro rider. It’s like having your best mate alongside you every step of the way – and because it’s a DVD, riders can go back and refer to it again and again. Key things for motorcyclists to think about: Kit Group riding Crash Scene management Foreign drivers Bike preparation at the start of the season Science behind the bike (comparing road bikes to track bikes) Security of your bike and kit Planning your ride Reading the road Keeping your licence

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 12/08/2009 22:40  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email