MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Seal between can and frontexhaust leaking

Seal between can and frontexhaust leaking - Forums [Biker Match] Seal between can and frontexhaust leaking - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Seal between can and frontexhaust leaking

Hello the connection from my can and my frontpipe where they connect together is leak oil and dripping down.

How can I stop this? something I can cover it with?

Update Reply
Paul @ 01/08/2009 13:47  

Hi Paul, There is a problem further forward if the exhaust is leaking oil. Is it a 2stroke? is the leakage just oil or petrol mix? If it is a 2 stroke you may have the wrong oil mix, too much oil in the mix and it will not burn cleanly causing the plug to soot up and the unburnt mix will end up coming out the exhaust. With the right mix the exhaust should be just gases no liquids and any small leaks will quickly carbon up (small as in unable to get a nats c**k in the gap)

Update Reply
lezg @ 01/08/2009 13:59  

It's a two stroke and I'm using fully sythentic 2 stroke oil.

Mixture screw is set right and I don't have blue smoke, It doesn't smoke too much also.

It's black the oil so thats mixed I think? as my oil is red.

Update Reply
Paul @ 02/08/2009 15:05  

So apart from this leak the engine is running smooth? Has it only just started happening? Might seem silly but could it be rain/water getting into the can?

Update Reply
lezg @ 02/08/2009 15:20  

Nahh it's still doing it. does it everytime I go for ride on it... should I turn my mixture screw up a bit? It hardly smokes my bike and for a 2 stroke.. aren't they sopose to?

Update Reply
Paul @ 02/08/2009 15:23  

Not really. modern strokers are metered to get the right mix not like the old ones mixing it in the tank, that was easy to get wrong and so used to smoke a bit. Is your air cleaner clean? Check the plug should'nt be black and oily. If all that is ok try some exhaust paste. take the can off, clean the pipe and inside the can, smear some paste on both surfaces and put back together. If the exhaust is warm the paste will set quicker.

Update Reply
lezg @ 02/08/2009 15:33  

I think I need a new air filter as my bike has a custom one I THINK and it's a bit lean and was told I should get a stock one?

Could a custom air filter cause this problem?

Update Reply
Paul @ 02/08/2009 15:35  

only if it's resticting the air flow, altering the fuel/air mix if its a custom probably letting more air through so should'nt affect things. How much is leaking out? drips or runs?

Update Reply
lezg @ 02/08/2009 15:51  

looks like drips but it comes out the end of the can also..

reason I say drips because theres like lines running down.

Update Reply
Paul @ 02/08/2009 15:52  

Do you do short runs on the bike? If so this could just be condensation, the exhaust fills up with it until the engine/exhaust gets hot enough to vapourise the liquid. This is a normal by-product of compressing air.

Update Reply
lezg @ 02/08/2009 15:56  

Nope long runs, it always does it...

Update Reply
Paul @ 02/08/2009 21:05  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email