MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

wots this karma bar?

wots this karma bar? (2) - Forums [Biker Match] wots this karma bar? (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

wots this karma bar?

I haven't a bloomin clue either Ian LOL. I even tried to click onto it like discussed earlier..still no idea..

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 29/06/2009 14:11  

well this morning it was at 30% after being took down from 99, benn on here all day whilst at work and its gone down

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/06/2009 14:13  

I'm sick of explaining this now. I've said a million times that it's partly what you do and partly what others do to you (ooo er). If you post a million short forum messages then not a single one will count! If you post longer forum messages then they will count. You also get extra points for posting lengthy news articles, cos this is something i want folks to do! Now, just because I say you'll get extra points for this or that, doesn't mean your PERCENTAGE is going to move! Because this is relative to the person with the highest Karma. So if you post 50 good forum messages, private messages, etc and the person at the number 1 spot posts 2x more than you... then YES your Karma WILL go down and not up! Plus as I say, it's party about what others do to you. So if nobody views your profile, sends you nods, private messages, adds you to their favourites etc... then you wont get any points for this factor. The only way you can increase your Karma therefore is to post forum messages, send PMs, join in with the chatroom etc... but this only accounts for PART (PART PART PART!!!!!!!!!!) of your Karma! If you wanna boost your Karma, then boost your public profile. Join events (You get points for being on the attendance list), get private message conversations going etc. And if someone is flying ahead with far more points than anyone else, then I will look at why they have so many points and I'll adjust the Karma calculations accordingly. But quite simply - it's not "Who posts the most in the forums".

Update Reply
Matt @ 29/06/2009 14:26  

on the subject of Karma, I've just removed the Karma bar from the Active Members page, as there are too many people listed on that page. During peak times it was taking 15 seconds to load the page. Now it's down to <1 second again (you can see now how demanding the karma calculations are on the server) Also moved this topic from General Chat into Website Issues

Update Reply
Matt @ 29/06/2009 15:06  

matt i understand what your saying, think the subject is best just left alone or take ther thread away,as you seem to be getting aggrivated, all i was saying is, today since 9am, i have been chatting via pm's, posting comments etc and it has gone down, thats all, which to me does not make sense, plus i have recieved a nod, shock horror

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/06/2009 16:01  

It doesn't matter how much chatting "you" as an individual have done via PMs, forum posts, chat room posts, nods sent/received, member views sent/received, photos posted/tagged etc etc etc etc... what matters is the overall site activity by EVERYONE.

Your karma count is a value determined as a percentage of everyone's site activity and is a comparative value, not an absolute one.

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 29/06/2009 16:21  

read back what matt said lou, i am not commenting on this anymore as its winding me up lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/06/2009 16:29  

exactly wb!!! :-) Look, I cannot increase the "weighting" of what forum/chatroom posts are worth because we end up with 1 or 2 people flying way ahead with 10x more Karma than everyone else. This ends up pushing everyone elses Karma below 10%!! I know this because it's how it was when I first built the Karma thing a few weeks ago, i had to constantly adjust the value of each variable until I found a relatively 'fair' balance. So Ian, you should look at the popular members page at whoever is number one (Males and Females are in a seperate table, so just checkout the guys page). Your Karma is a percent of that person's Karma. If you see that there's a massive % difference between the number 1 and 2 spots then I need to look at why the number 1 person is so far ahead.

Update Reply
Matt @ 29/06/2009 16:33  

i do look at that matt, but there are people on there who i as well as others have commented on they are never seen to interact on the site, anyway over and out on this issue now for me.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/06/2009 16:46  

wanna's any chance you can puit that in laymans terms , i may be able to open banks vaults etc, but i dont speak this language that you and matt are, anyway matt and wanna's, i am nnot being awkward about this, i just dont lay down and take something if i dont agree with it, i will speak my mind, hopefully this it what the site is all about, opinions

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/06/2009 16:52  

I don't understand what the issue is here ? are we meant to make comparisons with each other , surely that is not what the karma bar is about , i for one don't even notice it ! as long as i get my pennies worth in when i feel like it i'm a happy billyboy ...lol orders another triple Bells on the rocks @ the Karma Bar and slinks away:-)

Update Reply
excalibur @ 29/06/2009 17:04  

If the Karma Bar is now open, I'll have a med sweet cider please

Update Reply
Dragon13 @ 29/06/2009 18:15  

It's not really that tricky... it's a comparative value...

Example of a daily site activity:

Bloke 1 sends 20 nods, receives 10 nods, gets 25 profile views and views 50 girlie's profiles, sends 20 PMs and receives 25 PMs. Makes no forum posts whatsoever.

Bloke 2 receives 1 nod, sends 5 PMs, receives 5 PMs, makes 20 forum posts.

Comparatively speaking, bloke 1's karma count for the day is going to be higher than bloke 2.

Bloke 2 might appear to be more active on the site to you, cos you've seen his name crop up on the forums 20 times, but bloke 1 has been more active "privately".

It's not just what "you" do, it's what everybody does and what others do to you, e.g. click on your profile to view it, send you a nod or a PM. Stuff you have no control over whatsoever.

& it's not exactly something worth getting wound up about, cos it's just a blue bar on a website and I'm with Dragon, only make mine a dry cider please!

P.S. Billy - I didn't mean we should "make comparisons" with each other ... just that the karma value is a "comparative value" - it's not a "points mean prizes" thing, it's an index of overall site activity. There are always people in the "top 20" list who never post to the forums. That's not a problem at all - the forums are only a small part of the site.

We've got over 20,000 members haven't we? You can't base a karma value solely on forum/chat room posts when only a handful of those 20,000 use them in the first place

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 29/06/2009 18:56  

P.P.S. Trevor:

Don't tell anyone I told you this, right, but there is another aspect to the karma count that only those in the know have access to... that it's directly linked to the number of goats you've ritually sacrificed in the interests of ensuring good weather for an event, divided by your birth date and indexed according to your Chinese horoscope for the day.

I suspect I may have overdone the goat killing thing this weekend though, as it was so damned hot, everyone just sat in the shade, drinking, instead of wandering over to my stall to spend their hard-earned cash!

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 29/06/2009 19:04  

WB , i knew exactly what you meant , i was referring to other posts i've read since Matt started the karma bar , i get by reading the interesting and amusing subjects that pop up , lots of very informative topics and equal amounts that are humorous ...i'm not going to get into a bind over a fluctuating blue bar . that said and done calls for another triple Bells on the rocks.

Update Reply
excalibur @ 29/06/2009 19:22  

Ah OK cool

I thought "ooops! maybe I shouldn't have used the term 'comparative' in my post" as I might be adding to the apparent issues, without meaning to.

Triple? Blimey some people are greedy!

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 29/06/2009 19:26  

triples come in handy , you dont bother the barman so often lol

Update Reply
excalibur @ 29/06/2009 19:36  

*triples come in handy , you dont bother the barman so often lol*

Good plan................better make my cider a pint while you're there!

Update Reply
Dragon13 @ 29/06/2009 19:41  

goats ?..wanna, thats where i have been going wrong, i have been having sheep...i mean,,,err...well.....best shut up lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/06/2009 19:58  

i'd like to announce Wannabe as my official spokeswoman lol

Update Reply
Matt @ 29/06/2009 22:31  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email