MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Specs3

Specs3 - Forums [Biker Match] Specs3 - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Specs3

A word of warning; the new SPECS Cat 3 speed cameras have just successfully completed all testing for Home Office Type Approval and are now being recommended for full approval by the RPET (Road Policing Enforcement Technology) Committee. SPECS3 is one step up from the forward facing speed cameras you tend to see at roadworks on motorways. However, these are faster and more accurate and as such are better at taking readings of vehicles moving away from the camera from the sort of distance that motorway ANPR cameras need to be sited. As such we could very soon see far more rearward facing average speed camera zones. Currently the vast majority of these, such as those on the A1 and the M1 are forward facing ... and of course bikes don't have number plates on the front, which means that presuming you don't take the p***, no Police authority is going to expend the resources tracking you down. Of course, if speeding through forward facing cameras (which I would never condone), make sure there are more than say .... 2 of your particular type of bike in the country lol!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 27/04/2009 12:05  

speed!!! what u mean actually go faster than the legal limit....NEVA, mind u havin a bandit 600...hmmmm IT WASN'T ME lol

Update Reply
chunkichick @ 27/04/2009 15:04  

Ummmmm one of the problems with having thundering great panniers on a CBR, not many people have!

Update Reply
Dragon13 @ 27/04/2009 15:41  

Oh nooo rear facinggggg not many 750's with a towbar.... let alone a trailer lol

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 27/04/2009 15:49  

Hey Geoff I think these cameras became operational on the Cat and Fiddle last bank holiday, they are triggered by riding over pressure strips and are powered by a box at table height at the side of road, I understand they are for motobikes as they are average speed with high powered camera for our number plates, rumour has it those naughty vandals will find it easy to destroy them.........such a shame!!

Update Reply
Peter69 @ 27/04/2009 22:19  

Does anyone know what Matt's VRN is ?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/04/2009 22:27  

They did indeed Peter ... Derbyshire have them planned for a number of sites. The good news is that in Derbyshire at least, their main purpose is for research. Derbyshire want to know where the motorcyclists are coming from (hence the need to know their number plates) and which roads are subject to the greatest speeds. They can then cross reference this to accident data in order to learn where they should be targetting their road safety campaigns. Now the bad news. Derbyshire have confirmed that the Police will be allowed full access to the data also and any biker found to be regularly breaking speed limits is liable to be prosecuted. This should only be possible if the date of the offence is within the statutory 14 days, but if there are a number of incidents within those 14 days the biker in question could easily find him or herself prosecuted for every one!!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 27/04/2009 22:31  

Only about 4 like mine on the road in UK an I have 2 of them I'll never get away with it

Update Reply
Emzed @ 28/04/2009 10:03  

Lol!!! That's a bummer Em! Funny though!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 28/04/2009 10:52  

Yeah, couldn't write script could you If I fell in a bucket o nipples I'd come out suckin me thumb Em

Update Reply
Emzed @ 28/04/2009 11:44  

so if ive got he only one in this colour and with a very easy to read number plate.........yourvsaying in stuffed really..glad i live in Wales then..cant remember the last time i saw a police man.let alone the very rare police woman.......bless em... i dont mind being tugged by a human ...but the bam cameras are nearly all mobile ones down here..and i have heard we have onl 5in the area any way.......saying that there are only two main roads to the coast in mid wales ... so there normaly sited along those....well every time i have see them in the landy.....which is great because she never goes fast enough to get a speeding ticket....well she is 43 years old now....

Update Reply
anewroadtaken @ 19/05/2009 17:43  

Could try regestering your bike to a pikey caravan site see if they even send a ticket out

Update Reply
micksaway @ 19/05/2009 19:47  

I'm going to Wales when I get my full licence then!!!

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 30/05/2009 22:33  

Did you know that every time you go through an ANPR camera it records it. that info is held for up to 2 years. Even longer if you actually do something wrong. They now have the ability to track the progress of journeys around the country

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 31/05/2009 00:42  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email