MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Forking oil seals

Forking oil seals - Forums [Biker Match] Forking oil seals - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Forking oil seals

When I first got my bandit the guy selling it said it needed the fork oil seals doing, so did them myself with a little help from the local bike shop to separate the leg. All was well for a couple of months but one side started leaking, so I decided to take them in to be done by the shop this time. I've only had them back on for a month and now both legs seem to be leaking heavily! The bike is getting on now but I don't see anything in the chrome where it travels that would ruin a seal, they did charge for 2 hours labour so I'd have thought they would have sanded out any blemishes. Grr, back to DIY again.

Update Reply
njl @ 12/04/2009 11:09  

Have you checked to see if the stanchions are straight bent legs can wear seals prematurely! Also never fit new seals dry always lubricate with a littlte fork oil when assembling Otherwise check the legs with a steel ruler to see if they have any surface blemishes which are not immediately visible, (hold them horizontal with a light behind if you can) If they've been "cold" straightened in a press with "V" blocks they may have "ripples" which cant be seen with naked eye Which is why "rolling" straight is the professional choice (when new is not an option due to availability or price) Good luck Em

Update Reply
Emzed @ 15/04/2009 13:09  

Blimey EM,just what I was going to say

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/04/2009 15:12  

I might have known you'd know all about bent legs HG

Update Reply
Emzed @ 15/04/2009 15:14  

This is just a test, I have selected topics from last 3 days in "drop down box" topics seem to be back! I think I selected "today in an earlier session" Em

Update Reply
Emzed @ 15/04/2009 22:50  

Thanks Em, tbh I think I've been over optimistic in the serviceability of the chrome on them, partly why I took them in to be done - i'd have rather they told me they'd need rechroming than just do the seals. I'm torn between trying to get another s/h set or get the stanchions chromed or replace them, options in rising degrees of cost I think.

Update Reply
njl @ 16/04/2009 00:34  

Oh, and HG, you sarcastic little madam PMSL Brill, cheers girl (I was actually trying to be helpful for once)

Update Reply
Emzed @ 16/04/2009 01:46  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email