MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

What's happened to common sense???

What's happened to common sense??? (2) - Forums [Biker Match] What's happened to common sense??? (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

What's happened to common sense???

Satnav is a wonderful tool, like all powerful tools it will bite you if not used with a little care.

Update Reply
prof @ 25/03/2009 23:40  

still might invest in cheap one for car that shows speed limits, and sounds a claxton when approaching speed camera's as i've been busy topping up goverment funds lately!!!!!and I hate my pic taken

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/03/2009 23:43  

i got a tom tom classic 99 sqid curry's fits in pocket for pedestrian use with european maps made me jump when it sounded off about speed camera's wouldnt spend any more on one,for motorbike use i tape the pillions mike fronm a cheap intercom [4.99 aldi a few yrs ago] to the speaker put it in a waterproof bag an bung it in the tank bag works a treat

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 26/03/2009 10:13  

good tip TM, I am waiting to see if the big electrical stores or halfords are going to have any easter specials on sat nav, if not I'll just bite the bullit and get one..............

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/03/2009 11:29  

simple to use and you can update maps online an download extra's like different voices etc,think a rds reciever for it[more junk in me bag!] may be useful and they are being advertised in the sales so see if i can grab a bargain over Easter!you have to subscribe to get updates on speed camera's i think!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 26/03/2009 11:37  

I got a TomTom 720 Go, in Halfords sale a year or so ago, it was actually cheaper than the basic one, and was meant to be part of a new bathroom..yes yes i know, but the bathroom can wait! lol Altho I curse it, when it teks me down wrong ways, its pretty good really, ( i just needta update it via website, not sussed that bit yet), but it has lots of good features, cant think off the top of my head, but borrowed my sons tomtom which was basic version and didn't realise quite how many 'extras' i got. Depends how much you use it, what you want out of it. If its just point n go, get a basic one.

Update Reply
Karey @ 26/03/2009 11:40  

I dont mind getting a better one if its in sales, would rather pay a little more now incase i actually like them and saves upgradeing later......if it saves licence then they are worth it!!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/03/2009 11:43  

Thats true Craig, mine has a warning alarm, (which can be turned off), when you are approaching speed cams, tho I think most do, and also beeps if and the speed indication turns red if you're 3mph above the limit. Does anybody else find the satnav speed is slightly less than the car/bike speedo? I think im over the limit but the satnav says not?! I'm assuming/hoping the satnavs correct?!?!

Update Reply
Karey @ 26/03/2009 11:54  

like the idea of a nav that warns you when you are driving over limit as all my points (from car none on bike) were when I was less than 10mph over and did not even realise i was speeding, no excuse as my fault!!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/03/2009 12:00  

I'd still recommend this one; ebuyer.com/product/146672 45 quid and can be easily modified to run Tom Tom software complete with speed camera alerts... apparently!

Update Reply
mat750 @ 26/03/2009 14:37  

Karey, speedos always read higher than actual, its a manufacturing thing to make sure there on the safe side. GPS is absolute, far more accurate. Worst thing I ever drove was a van, speedo read 8mph higher than actual at 80mph. Meant I was doing 72 in reality. Having said that, I got an SP10 cause I didn't know a van over 3500KG (laden weight) was only allowed to do 50mph (not 60mph) on a single road, pedantic buggers!!

Update Reply
Newkid @ 26/03/2009 14:48  

Insult to injury, I wasnt even loaded, empty!! Why bother putting a turbo on it if ya have to crawl along.

Update Reply
Newkid @ 26/03/2009 14:50  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email