MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Single carriageway filtering

Single carriageway filtering - Forums [Biker Match] Single carriageway filtering - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Single carriageway filtering

Took a little run out this afternoon and came back with a question in my mind I'm still not decided on.

If on a single lane road with a queue of traffic can I filter over the centre line (not solid) if no other space allows, and then do I need to pull in and stop for oncoming traffic as it approaches or only if the vehicle approaching needs the space on the carriageway?

Did this for a mile or so this afternoon and didn't feel like I was being reckless, but did get hooted once by a car approaching although they had plenty of room I was holding a bit of their carriageway.

Can't google an answer to this tonight, your thoughts?

Update Reply
njl @ 13/02/2009 20:54  

As far as I know its ok as long as you dont obstruct oncoming traffic. I do it all the time and never thought weather it was legal or not. Living in Dorset in the summer you wouldnt get anywhere if you didnt filter. There must be a boy or girl in blue on here that will give us the facts

Update Reply
micksaway @ 13/02/2009 22:07  

tis good manners and common sense to pull in for oncomming traffic surely?

Update Reply
julie j @ 13/02/2009 22:11  

Ive had oncoming driver move out to the white line to force me to stop even though they have had loads of room. Cant work out some people they must just hate bikes. Takes all sorts

Update Reply
micksaway @ 13/02/2009 22:16  

I found the following online :

www.survivalskills.clara.net/riding_skills_20.htm

Looking in Motorcycle roadcraft the content is limited but does say to "avoid conflict with other road users"

Update Reply
njl @ 13/02/2009 22:40  

good topic, and it's got me thinking too. I also do it all the time, and have been beeped at.

Update Reply
Matt @ 13/02/2009 22:51  

Hi all I just had to consult the highway code on this an paragraph 160 says.... General rules .."Be aware of other road users, especially cycles and motorcycles who may be filtering through traffic these are more difficult to see than larger vehicles and there riders are more vulnerable. Give then plenty of room especially if your towing or are a large vehicle"... So that tells me that you can filter as they seem to expect us to in the highway code.. Of course we cannot cross solid white lines though I shouldn't think. Also, it has to be a manouver that does not make oncoming traffic have to brake, swerve or stop! Do you think I will pass my theory now? I have it in a couple of weeks.... Why else do you think I would have a highway code at hand ?? LOL

Update Reply
moonstone @ 24/02/2009 14:04  

Grey area I'm afraid ... I do it all the time as well, but it is unfortunately down to the decision of the copper who sees you. Technically making a third lane of traffic isn't illegal as far as I know, but forcing other motorists to change direction in order to avoid you is. This is "driving without due care", doing so at speed is "dangerous driving". I'd say that if you do it sensibly then you won't have a problem. Get spotted accelerating harshly, passing cars at speed opposite side roads, being ignorant in your road positioning or a combination of the lot and you could well be looking at three points and a sixty squid fine, if not more.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 24/02/2009 15:44  

Filtering isn't illegal, you can even do it on your bike test but you must do it safely etc - read this in the DSA guidance for examiners. Full of useful stuff like you CAN *dab* - (not foot down) on a u-turn but it still would seem to come down to the judgement of the examiner. Overtaking isn't illegal either (not talking about where road markings etc prohibit it) but if you do it dangerously, you're breaking the law. Seems to be me to be a similar thing.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 24/02/2009 16:44  

I was told by my instructor that you can cross double white lines, if there are stationary cars blocking your lane.

Update Reply
Karey @ 24/02/2009 16:51  

That's true Kaz. I *think* the highway code says vehicles moving at less than 10mph - certainly it's a question on the theory test but there it says a highways maintenance vehicle or similar but surely the same thing. If something is blocking your way you can't be expected to sit there until it's gone!!

Update Reply
Roachy @ 24/02/2009 17:16  

I ran this past a bike bobby once and got an answer similar to Geoff, ie it's a bit of a grey area. Basically, he said that as long as there's no accident you're probably ok, but if there is an accident and an insurance claim you may have to work a bit harder to defend a charge of due care and attention, and the insurance company may need a lot of convincing that it wasn't your fault.

Update Reply
Wills @ 24/02/2009 18:09  

details from another site..it is now legal to filter through traffic that is going in the same direction as you( this is now a factor in insurance claims)..ie a dual carriageway...crossin over the broken white lines in single traffic is classed as overtaking and if you obstruct or cause another vehicle to move to avoid you you are then driving without due care and attention or even recklessley and can be prosecuted for this. the best option would be to stop and let any oncoming traffic go past before continuing your journey.You are not allowed to cross solid white lines. From RoSPA :-)

Update Reply
meza95 @ 25/02/2009 00:36  

I'll ask my old man. he is an ex bike copper. If you are pulled the office will most likely be dangerous driving or driving without due care and attention. both of these offense's are at the discretion of the prosecuting officer so there is no hard and fast answer. Watch this space....

Update Reply
Phil @ 25/02/2009 23:48  

OK got an answer from my dad. Like anything in UK law there is no one correct answer but here is his based on 30 years of police biking experience. Phil, you are right about it being on individual circumstances. i.e. the width of the road, speed limit, view ahead, junctions to the right. The danger is that a car in the queue my wish to turn right and may not be aware of the presence of the bike. Also someone turn out of a junction of the right may be looking left and pull out without looking. If overtaking on the other side of the white line results in an accident then the rider would have no defence because he should not have been there. But you will always get the nutters who do not wish to wait in a queue and put themselves at risk. My original email to him was this Hi Dad, The following question was posted on a biker forum that i moderate on. Can you provide any info from a traffic point of view? It is my understanding that although not illegal depending on the individual circumstances of the filtering it could be viewed as either dangerous driving or driving without due care and attention. how far off the mark am I. I have omitted the original posing from the forum. Dad

Update Reply
Phil @ 26/02/2009 19:17  

Ride like fxxk down the middle of the road because it doesn't matter one little bit. No matter how safe you are doing it the ones who don't like bikes will say you a menace to the driving public, the ones who are neutral won't be bothered and the bikers will pull to the left to give you more room.

Update Reply
vinnie @ 20/03/2009 20:33  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email