MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

comp teccies...help please

comp teccies...help please - Forums [Biker Match] comp teccies...help please - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

comp teccies...help please

ok, here it is, will try to keep it brief n simple...*gulp*...... my house mate moves out tomorrow, n with him goes my free internet, wireless hook up:o(........... so am gonna have to sort out connection of my own..gonna be off line till i can:o(............ will have access to a BT landline connection, but wont be needing to use a phone.............sooooooooooooooo....options please guys...... oh, and cheapest only!...........am with o2 contract on me mobile if that could help.....i dunno......waaaaaaaaay outta my league here..............cheers guys........

Update Reply
Triumph_Sy @ 30/01/2009 17:56  

Ive got Sky Arf and it only costs me £21 a month depends how much i use my house fone
Thats for internet and phone calls and i get free evening and weekend calls to land lines Plus basic package sky telly

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/01/2009 18:00  

Oh meant to add thats with a BT Connection on house fone but hoping to get it changed over to Sky

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/01/2009 18:04  

thanks sweet, duly notes:o)..........someone else has mentioned to me about gettin l line connected...........is that free by the way?........then switching to talk talk straight away.......could work out to about £11 per month?...........more info needed pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease:o)........

Update Reply
Triumph_Sy @ 30/01/2009 18:38  

Dont think its free think its a one off payment cant remember to be honest tho
Only reason i have Sky is my son works there and every so often they have introduce a friend and you basically get all the above for about a £5 a month even installing Sky is Free but you do need a land-line might be worth just ringing BT and asking them??

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/01/2009 18:42  

don't touch sky internet! It's crap crap crap! My mum and grandparents have it, and i did some testing when i was home at christmas... it's foul! Sky should be fined for giving such a poor connection. Not only is the speed apalling but so is the availability. I often found the connection dead for a minute or two before it would kick in again. (No my wireless wasn't an issue. as i could connect to the router etc. I'm an IT Professional and spend my entire life diagnosing servers and networks, so trust me when i say dont get sky!) Cant tell you who is good in the UK anymore tho. I used to have plus.net and they were good. With internet u really do get what u pay for tho.

Update Reply
Matt @ 30/01/2009 18:55  

here's the test results for your area... http://www.speedtest.net/global.php?continent=3&cou...p;city=379

Update Reply
Matt @ 30/01/2009 18:58  

I have virgin media,basic tv (which is crap anyway),phone with free evening and weekend calls and 2mb broadband for £24 a month. One-off £30 connection fee. No BT rip-off charges or hidden Sky charges. Go on-line tonight to check it on the net Arf while you still got it.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/01/2009 19:00  

Cheers for saying that now Matt lol
Bit late cos i have it should have asked you first

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/01/2009 19:00  

haha sorry. They're really bad tho, i had to 'borrow' next door's wireless to check my mail lol. Virgin are also bad... the only UK ISP who monitor your internet traffic and report you to the police for file sharing!!!

Update Reply
Matt @ 30/01/2009 19:03  

I don't file share so its not a problem. Got it all turned off on the puter.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/01/2009 19:04  

thanks alot for that Matt..thats sky well n truly crossed of my list then!....... Cheers Ricdude, exactly the reason i've asked for help etc. ....now, is so i can check out options online tonight while i can, as you say:o).................

Update Reply
Triumph_Sy @ 30/01/2009 19:08  

Hi Arf I have BT Broadband.The main reason was coz my boy had an XBOX360 and could only have that.But,I get loads of freebies;anti-spyware,virus checkers,blah,blah,and the the 'support' are really helpful.Highly reccomended

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/01/2009 19:39  

cheers HG how expensive is it though?......like per month n that too?...

Update Reply
Triumph_Sy @ 30/01/2009 19:44  

£22 for Option 2,you get free w/end calls and 6 til 6 w/days.check any extras tho,just in case.Also,I've been with them so long I've got free BT Vision for 24 months from last Oct.I've no complaints.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/01/2009 20:06  

Talk Talk..you first have to have a BT landline connected(i think approx 100)..and also on Option 1 only as no contract with that. i pay 21 a month with talk talk and that includes the 11 a month line rental to BT...you then get free calls to landlines in the UK and 28 countries in Europe and Australia and New zealandm and the USA. Highest bill i have had is £3 ontop of the 21. that was for phoning 0845 number at the bank!!...you then also get free internet as well included in that. Paul

Update Reply
meza95 @ 30/01/2009 20:49  

cheers guys;o)........................m95, when you say 'i think approx 100' are you saying thats how much it'll cost me to get connected with BT, or am i having a BBM?!...........

Update Reply
Triumph_Sy @ 30/01/2009 20:57  

Presumably there's already some sort of phone line connection in the house?

If it's BT, no probs, it'll be free of charge to reconnect... if it's cable, then BT'll charge £125ish to connect you to their exchange. They only make this charge for a "new" line, not to reactivate an existing BT line.

But just because you have a BT (or whatever) line, doesn't mean to say you have to go to them for internet service. You just plug your wireless modem/router into the phone line.

As Matt says, you really get what you pay for. Sky's complete pants - the last few weeks spent at my parents' has confirmed that to me.

Sky's doing a big promotion at the moment as well... Avoid anyone doing this, cos they can never keep up with the extra demand when everyone swaps over to them!

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 30/01/2009 22:34  

cheers WB..........yeah there is a phone line connection in the house................maybe you can have another go explaining it to me in simple Arf language on sunday me dear!......my head hurts...........

Update Reply
Triumph_Sy @ 30/01/2009 22:47  

Arf..basically if you have a BT line in the house they may well connect it for free.. if not they will charge you around the 100 mark to install on....just give them a call with the address they should find if its one of their lines...u can then either stay with them for everything or go to other companies such as talk talk to provide the service for u..they just need an active line. www.talktalk.net

Update Reply
meza95 @ 30/01/2009 22:57  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email