MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

my xs11

my xs11 - Forums [Biker Match] my xs11 - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

my xs11

hi can some one help please need help my xs11 on a t 1978 as a problem with the second gear it keeps jumping out 1st is ok 3rd is 4th is and 5th is its just second . 1st whats causing it and 2nd what or how can i fix it please not very good with engines lol but willing to try as i love my baby shes 30yrs old and also money is tight at the mo like it is for everybody. well hope some one can help .cheers rob happy new year

Update Reply
skull666 @ 30/12/2008 17:15  

Hi skull. There are a few xs1100 based sites with forums. Probably best to ask there. seems to be a well known problem though.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 30/12/2008 18:19  

cheers blue il try and find some .see i want a trike so i want to swap her but i couldnt until its fixed i wouldnt feel right if u know what i mean.

Update Reply
skull666 @ 30/12/2008 18:42  

Hi skull Welcome to BM.. good luck with the xs11....and good luck with the kids too You will get lots of support on here

Update Reply
Karey @ 30/12/2008 19:27  

thank u karey . hope it can get sorted before summer been stuck in the house long enough need some rallies and beer and new freinds to run with and a special lady to warm my pillion seat lol

Update Reply
skull666 @ 30/12/2008 20:09  

Its a gearbox out job, it will either be worn dogs on the gears or worn selector forks. Given the bikes age The odd engine/gearbox problem is expected. I'm sure the XS is too old to have a cassette type box, so it will be a full engine split job. Get the spanners out!

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 31/12/2008 09:03  

in addition, make sure they never suffered from new, some bikes used to need a good boot up into second then they were ok, old Honda boxes are a good example.

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 31/12/2008 09:05  

ty ghost right never took a engine to bits the person that did that for is dead now bless him so now what to do she runs now but if i strip her she will never run again lol

Update Reply
skull666 @ 31/12/2008 11:52  

Jumping out of 2nd gear is a well-known problem with the big XS's. My 750 is just starting to suffer from it too. With the big torque of these bikes (especially the 1100!) some people just learn to ride round it and change straight from 1st to 3rd. Relacement parts are difficult to get hold of and very expensive but there is a fix which involves using a grinding wheel to reprofile the gears. It's a major stripdown job but you don't need to take the engine out of the frame. There's a lot of info on the net, but I would recommend the xs11.com site. Good luck!

Update Reply
mat750 @ 31/12/2008 12:41  

CHEERS MAT FOR THAT I WILL GIVE IT AGO AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS IL CHECK THAT WEB SITE OUT FIRST HAPPY NEW YEAR TO U AND YOUR FAMILY . RIGHT PUB TIME SEE U ALL IN 09

Update Reply
skull666 @ 31/12/2008 19:40  

GH & Mat have covered it,engine out job,reprofile ect. Give Ely biker breakers a ring though,think I saw an XS11 last time I was down there.

Update Reply
Oggy @ 01/01/2009 12:54  

cheers oggy will do that on pay day lol

Update Reply
skull666 @ 03/01/2009 19:32  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email