MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

CBT and first ride out

CBT and first ride out - Forums [Biker Match] CBT and first ride out - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

CBT and first ride out

Looong post - sorry! I did a post Friday night about my CBT (after Geoff posted to say I'd completed it) but it was lost and I was so tired I couldn't face typing it all again. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p> It was a long day, at the school for 7:45am (time for lots of tea); training began at 8:30am and finished at 4:15pm. Although I'd done a CBT the week before I was taken through the five elements from start to finish. There was one other trainee, a young lad who'd never ridden a bike before, doing it on his own brand new little Yam...rather him than me! <o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p> We had another instructor join us towards the end of the on-site training so both of us benefited from one to one tuition. It was decided I was going out on the road but the other lad would continue on site. It was really nerve wracking going out on the road but I was glad it was just Mark (my instructor but also a good friend) and I as that took a lot of pressure of screwing up in front of someone else away. Mark gave me lots of encouragement and kept urging me to get up to speed quicker. Just over 2 hours later and we're back at the school and I'd done it! Made a few mistakes, (pavements are for people Rachel! - oops!). <o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p> More cups of tea (which I had to make - the cheek of it!) and then the bike was loaded into the van and we made our way oop north. I have to say as well, this school was so much better than my local one. If anyone is in need of training in the Derby/Notts area then I can't recommend Shire's Motorcycle Training enough. <o:p></o:p> Saturday I had an hour on a little car park near Geoff's (where the bike is living for now - thanks hun) but it was a bit small, even to practice slow riding. Tried to sort out insurance but something seemed to have gone horribly wrong with my details and half the companies weren't quoting anymore and the lowest price was now well over £300! <o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p> Sunday morning sorted out insurance, I think the sites objected to the Smartwater datatag. Managed to get fully comp with legal cover for £172 (kept at Geoff's). Also got RAC cover for me (so covers car and bike) for £33, roadside assistance only. <o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p> Sunday afternoon, my first ride out! Went out with Geoff and we were out for about 1.5, maybe 2 hours and did a massive 33 miles!! I had a great time (apart from cold fingers). Stalled a couple of times which is a right faff as the bike will only start in neutral but I think being a car driver helped as I didn't get half as flustered as I remember getting as a car learner getting it wrong, I'm more inclined these days to just gob off at people that are hassling me. <o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p> Got a few issues to iron out, namely not getting up to speed quick enough (it is only a 125, I think these folk on big bikes should remember that! ) and observations...oops! It'll come though and hopefully I won't have come unstuck in the meantime. The controls are already becoming more natural so I don't think it will be long before I'm not foregoing proper observations in favour of controlling the bike. <o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p> Big smiles all round here and can't wait to hear how the other girls are getting on. Huge thanks to Mark for my instruction (CBT and hopefully test) and Geoff for garage space and hand holding on my first (and I'm sure future) ride.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 07/12/2008 17:32  

Well done Rachel , it all get's easier as you progress . It was great to see you at the meeting on saturday , hopefully we'll be seeing you at future meetings too .

Update Reply
fastjock @ 07/12/2008 17:53  

Fantastic stuff Rachel!

I'm dead proud of you girlie! I'm so glad you didn't quit with your less than wonderful experience at the first training centre and top marks to Shire's

The observations will come and, as you know from car driving, stalling will soon become a thing of the past as your confidence builds and as you get the hang of clutch control and your engine sounds.

Might sound a bit silly, but try to start using the same observations in the car as you would on the bike - I know it's not as effective as looking over your shoulder on the bike, particularly over your left - I've always looked over my right anyway for driving, ever since I first learned - it was well drummed into me! It's something I've been trying to do in the car, so I don't forget what I learned on the CBT all these months after it!

The more you practice the observations, the more it sinks in and becomes second nature. And when you're riding pillion, pay attention to when and how your rider does his/her looks, speeds up and slows down - you'll soon pick it up. Another good exercise is to give yourself a running commentary of upcoming hazards etc and what you're doing, when you're doing it... you feel a bit daft chatting away to yourself, but it's amazing how much it improves your awareness.

As for getting up to speed, don't be afraid to give it some right hand... often when we start to learn these skills - both riding and driving, we think we need to be a lot more gentle than necessary

P.S. If you're ever dahn Sarf, I thoroughly recommend going on the back of TJ's bike - I've never pillied with anyone whose observations & checks outdid his... I really felt I learned a lot just from sitting on his bike.

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 07/12/2008 17:58  

Yehhh well done Rachel.. Good for you. And good to meet you at the meeting yesterday. I can't wait till I'm out on the road too. Will just have to bide my time :o)

Update Reply
Karey @ 07/12/2008 18:08  

well done roachy, wannabe is exactly right!! the more you go out the easier it becomes and you will find yourself doing all your observations automaticaly, and you will start to really enjoy it more!! well done you... big claps and cheers... yeah hey!!

Update Reply
diamondsabre @ 07/12/2008 18:08  

And having witnessed the amazing transformation in Diamond Sabre's riding from her second time out on her bike to our local meet about 6 weeks later, I can assure you she's living proof of it!

P.S. Not only that but the first time I saw DS riding was in glorious sunshine (it was that single afternoon that was the Summer of '08! lol) and the second time it was in thick, thick fog and I was convinced she'd pull up in her car!

Oh me of little faith!

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 07/12/2008 18:14  

lol @ WB ...and Well Done DS !! Hey, Lou.. i reckon me and thees got sum catchin up to do, lass! but we will, when the times right.

Update Reply
Karey @ 07/12/2008 18:26  

Oh Shucks wannabe..... lol... its amazing how much you can achieve when your supported by your friends and i am lucky enough to have been very well supported by wannabe, ricdude and arf on those early rides out!! i couldnt let you down mate on that foggy morning!! it was me bike or nothing!! lol..

Update Reply
diamondsabre @ 07/12/2008 18:29  

I reckon I'll be living vicariously through others for a while yet Karey

With no Xmas bonus this year and 6 weeks of SSP coming, I'm the equivalent of over 2 months short on my salary! Eeek! Reckon I'll be concentrating on paying the bills rather than attempting to save for a ride...

Ah well... It took me 26 years from first wanting to ride to actually doing the ruddy CBT... I obviously don't like to rush these things!

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 07/12/2008 18:41  

Well done Roachy hopefully your experience will show others that they shouldn't give up.

Update Reply
Cruiser gal @ 07/12/2008 18:43  

lol @ WB...dunt get me started on finances.. and yeh, like you, its taken me long enuff to get the CBT..im sure a bit longer wint hurt! lol... wise words as usualy mate..

Update Reply
Karey @ 07/12/2008 18:45  

I really want to do my BT again I did it about 10 years ago used to tootle anong on my old GS125E but never passed withing the timescale In fact I never put in for my main test. Silly me. Now I really want tp go fo it again but why am I so much more nervous is it cos I havent been in a riding seat for so long or is it because the test has so much more been made harder?/ Is it that much more difficult does anyone know? I just need to pluck up my courage and go for it so come on get on my back and make me !!!! HELP Linny Moon ....

Update Reply
moonstone @ 07/12/2008 19:11  

Moonstone, the advantage you have now over ten years ago is a network of biking friends, many of whom would be happy to assist in your learning. So get to a couple of meets, have a chat with any of the FFS girls and get that CBT booked again. As for Rachel - I was almost as pleased as she was watching her ride around the route I had planned today. I couldn't believe it was only her second time on the road on a bike. You did great hun, you made me proud.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 07/12/2008 20:55  

Great reading through these posts me dear...well done you

Update Reply
Triumph_Sy @ 07/12/2008 20:58  

Yep go for it Moonstone! You have nothing to lose... I think the longer we leave things, the more they build up inside us and we start fretting unnecessarily...

I had to quit scuba diving just after qualifying a few years ago due to developing a vertigo-like inner ear condition... I'm supposed to take a dive medical before being allowed to dive again, but decided to risk it on a "try-dive" while in Malta last year...

It'd been 6 years and I was nervous about my ears and thinking I'd forgotten everything... I had a complete panic attack the first time I tried to go under the water... took 5 minutes, just to breathe and relax, reminded myself that I LOVE diving and tried again

You will get past those nerves if you allow yourself to. Just relax and think positively.

Don't worry about how hard the final test is. The CBT isn't a test - it's just to ensure a level of competence - it'll come flooding back to you once you get past that nervous stage.

The full test is going through changes as we all know and people don't like change, so everybody's panicking and telling us how totally impossible the new test will be to pass... Or... Are they cashing in on the unknown factor and persuading us all to leap on the panic bus and grab our DAS courses and line their pockets with lots of lovely extra profit?

Cynical? Moi?

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 07/12/2008 21:21  

Congratulations, first step accomplished. Do work on the observations cos you aren't paranoid they really are trying to get you!! Seriously keeping tabs on hazards is something you need to practice until it's unconscious. You will find the bike improves your car driving as well, practice on the bike and in the car, as Wannabe suggested try verbalising it all, it's one of the drills they teach on the IAM courses. "parked cars and kids ahead watch out, manhole cover near the apex of next bend take a wider line, hay on the road maybe a tractor ahead" etc etc. One tip for that, dont do it on a bike with an intercom (dont ask me how I know) Hopefully the big freeze will let up a little so you can keep up the practice without cold fingers.

Update Reply
prof @ 07/12/2008 21:51  

Thought I better say, Well done Roachy. I must point out that Roachy was a star, started the day with negative thought's mostly thanks to a bad training school but ended the day with a huge smile. Her progress through the day was excellent, confidence grew visually, so congrates and well done. and keep it up.. Although I must say I only gave her the certificate cos of the delightfull brew she made at the end of the on road section. Mark

Update Reply
Spyder @ 07/12/2008 23:39  

Nice one Mark :o)

Can't beat a winning brew, eh?! lol

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 07/12/2008 23:50  

Major well done! (Just discovered this thread..) Once you get your confidence levels up and your competence to match it you will sail through your test and enjoy the absolutely liberating freedom that comes with having a licence and bike. I love it, only passed this year and am so so pleased you overcame your doubts etc. You should be dead proud of yourself. Total congrats! :D

Update Reply
Shellshine @ 08/12/2008 10:06  

well done Roachy can't wait to get mine off me soddin drive & get out there practicing! Once I do, we'll have to meet up somewhere & have an FFS girls pootle

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 08/12/2008 10:56  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email