MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

93 and still driving..? this is tragic

93 and still driving..?  this is tragic - Forums [Biker Match] 93 and still driving..?  this is tragic - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

93 and still driving..? this is tragic

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/7666943.stm Condolences to Mr Bennetts family and friends. Also to the car driver, he must have been shaken up... but still driving at 93?!?! should this be allowed? Maybe a re-assessment every few years or so?

Update Reply
Karey @ 13/10/2008 12:56  

That's awful news, what a sad story. RIP Mr Bennett. I do think there are already tests in place for certain age groups

Update Reply
Matt @ 13/10/2008 13:03  

hey Matt, as far as I'm aware - all you have to do is re-apply for your licence @ 75 years old & state that you're in good health. There is no other test involved! (although I think that there SHOULD be some sort of re-test every few years!) RIP Mr Bennett

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 13/10/2008 13:11  

Jeeez...thats unbelievable, Stella. I wonder if when they re-apply their doctor is contacted for clarification?! Even so, if they haven't been to the doctors recently, its of no use. It's so sad that Mr Bennett has worked all his life and should have been reaping the rewards, that his life is taken in this way. Be careful out there people. x

Update Reply
Karey @ 13/10/2008 13:28  

requiescat in pace Mr Bennett I don't mind old people driving on the roads, even if they are doddery. Dangerous driving,...you can see it everyday on every road, you are just unlucky when it hits you. You are fine if you see in every other road user an enemy who means mischief. I'm more concerned about the uncounted amount of blind drivers. In my circle of acquaintance are a few of drivers who shouldn't be allowed on the road, just because they are too vain to wear their glasses or even having an eye test done. It is a fact that more than 90% of people over 40 have to wear glasses somehow. You have to do an eye test when you do your license, that is when you are 16 up to 20 normaly. I have passed my eye test without wearing my glasses when i was 18. Now more than 20 years later my sight is at -2.75 on both eyes (that is shortsight). Without glasses i can barely read my speedo and on the road i would be able to miss an incomming yellow coloured bus. What if your eyes are not that bad, that you still can see "something"? Did you miss a few times a greyish coloured car on a dry road which appears to come out of nowhere? Maybe it faded into the background on distance. And that is a huge problem. When you can't see anyone and you drive like there is no one else, that can cause dangerous driving and you are not aware of it. How to solve the problem? Not possible in my opinion. You know, i come from the country with "too many rules" and they have no rule for that yet. Only lorry and bus driver over 50 have to do a health check including an eye test every two years. I think it's here the same. The opticians would be very happy if you establish an annually eye test for everyone to keep the license. How do you think about that Holmfirthgirl?

Update Reply
BadGer67 @ 13/10/2008 14:06  

I quite agree Badger - there deffo needs to be something in place - there's been loads & loads of things in the papers etc about older people & the lack of testing after a certain age, but the government seem to not want to do anything about it - prob cos they're all old fogeys themselves! But even at the minimum an annual eye test should be the way to go !

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 13/10/2008 14:58  

Well it's time that the law was changed and anyone causing death on the road should be treated as the murderer they are! Yes I know very black and white but have you seen the far too leanient sentences people get when causing a death in an auto accident! Someone shop lifting get stiffer sentances the law in this country is a bloody joke!

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 13/10/2008 15:13  

I agree that the eye test in particular just isn't good enough. Maybe there should be a time when older drivers need their sight checking on a regular basis to keep their licence current.
It needn't cost the government anything. My dad eventually gave up driving aged about 80-ish under pressure from his insurance company, and that may be the way to go - refuse insurance to those whose health and faculties aren't up to it.
There was a plan for professional drivers to meet a minimum standard WITHOUT their glasses. What ever happened to it? I remember a nasty accident involving a school minibus at night on the motorway several years ago when it seems that the driver, a teacher, had taken her glasses off for a moment to rub her eyes or something, and had gone straight into the back of a vehicle on the hard shoulder with several deaths. OK so she wasn't a PSV licence holder, but you get the general idea.

Update Reply
Wills @ 13/10/2008 15:18  

I totally agree Badger and Stella. I wear glasses but just for work ( ie working on the computer ) and I'm not due for another eye test until 2009, but I shall be booking one before that as I know myself my eyes are getting worse. It's not just eyesight, its the reaction time and the memory of older drivers.

Update Reply
Karey @ 13/10/2008 15:21  

well actually Hull, I heard on the news last week that they are actually bringing in a new law re causing death whilst driving & that's it's gonna be a jailable offence from now on. ind you - what they gonna do to a 93 year old?..they aint gonna stick him behind bars!

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 13/10/2008 15:22  

its not just ur eyes And even if a doctor says a 75 year old is in good health... doesn't mean he's got good reaction times, good perception of hazards etc.

Update Reply
Matt @ 13/10/2008 15:43  

The only reason the government doesn't do anything about it, is that to do so would cost them votes, as motorists might get upset. They are more interested in staying in power than saving lives.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/10/2008 16:23  

yea its sad how they think. If i saw the government take more decisive action on such subjects, they'd certainly get my backing. It's about time we had a government who are willing to stand up for the majority and implement well-needed changes in the UK. Time for a change next election!

Update Reply
Matt @ 13/10/2008 16:31  

Whats the law like for driving over in Veldhoven Matt, just as a comparison? My grandad drove till he was 70, he was a great believer in giving up at 70 when he believed he was a danger the older he was ( thats his opinion, and not everyones the same) then gave up his license, in a way it was lucky he did as a few years later he was diagnosed with Altzeimers and died at 76, 13 years ago - but what could have happened if he hadnt given it up, doesnt bear thinking about really........ as another comparison my mums 66 and is learning to drive, its something she wants to do and I believe she will be successful but is 66 too old to be taking your test and going on the roads now ? Each to their own I guess, but Ive raised the question on here as I guess some of you may have your own views and Im interested in them ?

Update Reply
Nutkin68 @ 13/10/2008 17:39  

Doddery old folk driving......... More dangerous than a great white thats come over a bit peckish!

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 13/10/2008 18:13  

Stop talking about yourself like that Jim....... oh and your not that old either !

Update Reply
Nutkin68 @ 13/10/2008 18:21  

I say good luck to your mum, Nutkin! I live in a village where there are MANY retired folk driving around of various ages and abilities. Without their transport many of these would be unable to come into town and would have to give up their independence. I must admit that a couple of years ago I would have got upset when I saw a car driven by an elderly driver doing 40 on a road with a 60mph speed limit but recent events have seen my views change and I can look at life through their eyes and see what they have to contend with. Two months ago I was also first on the scene at a head on collision where the occupants of both cars were in their early 70's and 80's with unfortunately a double fatality. Although the cause of the crash is still unknown it is a strong possibility that the driver of one car was taken ill at the wheel and swerved into the path of the other. I don't think this is a problem that can be solved by a blanket law. The drivers themselves have to realise that they are in control of a one tonne missile and have a responsibility to others around them, and the families of anyone that is no longer capable of controlling their vehicle safely must unfortunately take action and ask them to surrender their licenses. Unfortunately for some, this will also bring to an end another chapter of their lives as they enter their twilight years, so must be dealt with with compassion and understanding. p.s. this has nothing to do with my parents, but rather a new understanding I have of any problem and learning to be open minded.

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 13/10/2008 18:31  

...XK, with the plethora of cameras (or even 'Speed Helicopters' in certain counties!!), imminent toll roads and exorbitant fuel tax do you really think the Government is afraid of upsetting motorists?

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 13/10/2008 18:37  

Thanks TC X

Update Reply
Nutkin68 @ 13/10/2008 21:35  

...TC, cameras, toll roads, fuel tax...all have one thing in common - ie money. So they offset the upset factor with the extra revenue. Unless they can devise a cunning plan to cream off money from, say, 5-yearly eye tests, they will continue to ignore the carnage.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/10/2008 21:47  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email