MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

so is goretex really waterproof?

so is goretex really waterproof? - Forums [Biker Match] so is goretex really waterproof? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

so is goretex really waterproof?

well what do you all think, fancy `splashing` out on a decent jacket but no 1 priority is that it is waterproof. Am i better of just getting seperate waterproofs? does anyone have a jacket that they have been really pleased with, or not?

Update Reply
julie j @ 03/09/2008 12:18  

Gortex will do a good job of keeping you dry Julie. the trouble is after a certain amout of time and becouse of all the folds and creases. water has a habit of finding it's way through even the best clothing. especially at speed. So most of the time you'll be ok but it's really tested on the motorway in a downpour.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 03/09/2008 12:47  

a one piece [or two piece] light waterproof to put on over your leathers or jkt is handy on a long wet trip!pus waterproof socks!ive used walkers goretex over boots[19squid on ebay] as extra protection an warmth on long wet trips! this winter gettin some heated grips!! although these days i tend to be a fair weather rider

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 03/09/2008 13:10  

Julie, the best waterproof leggings by far that I've ever used have been a set of ex-army Goretex overtrousers that i bought at the great Yorkshire Bike Show last year. Absolutely brilliant, and to hell with the fact they're camoufaged. Totally waterproof and lightweight and go straight on over leathers.
Obviously you've got to size up a fair bit. I'm a 36inch waist and the overtrousers are a 40inch waist.
The seller was Raygill clothing up in your part of the world in lothersdale, and they've got a website raygillclothing dot co dot uk.
I use a (more or less) waterproof Buffalo jacket for the top half a lot of the time, and i've got an old Rukka overjacket in reserve. Bit sweaty but it does the job.

Update Reply
Wills @ 03/09/2008 13:53  

Got to agree with wills my Ex Army gortex camo over trousers and jacket are the best I've owned (no padding or linings so only good at over protection not a lot of good as only layer) no pockets on either so a pain if you need to be in and out of pockets for cash etc........ Johnsons of Leeds bought at Farmyard Party (they have a web site I believe and are at most MAG rallies) they are at Storming the Castle this weekend in Co Durham

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 03/09/2008 14:35  

also

Update Reply
julie j @ 03/09/2008 14:46  

also very groovy looking as i recall

Update Reply
julie j @ 03/09/2008 14:46  

Lol don't know about that but were as cheap as chips £25 jacket £15 trousers But Hien Gerick have an offer on a Jacket at the mo and it's lined and has all the CE armour in it too

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 03/09/2008 14:53  

I have a Hein Gericke gore-tex jacket bought brand new about eight years ago and I still use it to this day. It is machine washable (with the use of special cleaner) and I do this and then treat the jacket every six months or so. I have ridden all day through some of the worst weather that Mother Nature can throw at you and it has never ever leaked. It could be that I was lucky when I bought this particular jacket, but believe me, my next jacket is going to be another good quality gore-tex jacket. My gear is all gore-tex nowadays, jacket, gloves and boots and considering that I have ridden non-stop for over three hundred miles through torrential rain in the past with nothing getting through, I'm impressed. The exception are my leather trousers (can't quite bring myself to sacrifice the security of leather for my legs) and when the weather's bad I throw a pair of cheap leggings over the top. What I would say though is that you buy according to the likely use. By this I mean that if you are the sort of rider who ain't getting the bike out if there is a risk of rain, then buy leather for the protection with an oversuit for the occasional time you get caught out. However, if you are likely to be riding in all weathers and for sustained periods, then my personal advice is that gore-tex is the way to go.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 03/09/2008 15:32  

cheers geoff think i will go for the goretex cant be bothered jumping off and spinning round wonder woman style (not unless indoors and ive had a few lol) would rather spend a bit more and get something thats going to last and do the job (would quite like that indoors too!!)

Update Reply
julie j @ 03/09/2008 15:54  

rather see yu in leather!!!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 03/09/2008 16:04  

Being decades old military technology, GoreTex is very effective. However, the mistake people make is not realising that the breathable membrane that keeps water out can (and will) get damaged by grit, dirt and ill treatment. Therefore re-proofing and proper care is needed!!

Update Reply
ttaskmaster @ 04/09/2008 07:22  

Excellent question Julie and one that is relevant to me at the moment cos I'm going to be buying new bike clobber soon. In the past I rode all-year-round and got fed up of products, to waterproof my bike clobber, that didn't work. Even my waterproof suit leaks at the Rs, but that's cos it's SEWN there. Anywhere where there is stitching WILL LEAK, unfortunately. I've heard good things about Gore-Tex. Lightweight,warm and waterproof and after reading the positive comments here too I'm convinced I'll be better off with Gore-Tex. Proof will be in the pudding, lol it's cos of the pudding I'm having to buy new clobber Just a couple of questions...WHERE to buy it? and do ALL bike clothing shops stock Gore-Tex? How to take care of Gore-Tex http://www.outdooreyes.com/goretex.php3

Update Reply
Sandi @ 06/09/2008 10:52  

I use a Hein Gericke Gore-Tex jacket and trousers (looks like black denim) my earlier one was a tastful blue with a large star on it. Great stuff always dry if not warm, only problems where any pockets outside the gore-tex lining get wet. So watch what goes in them. One thing I belive that is true about gore-tex is it will only have the Gore-Tex label on if it is water proof, in that all seams and stitching haveto be sealed with tape.

Update Reply
Suzuki_bob @ 10/10/2008 20:38  

bought hien gericke gortex jacket a couple of weeks ago (thank you ernie!) it fits well ,is comfy, havent got it wet yet, could get in the shower i suppose, but you are right it aint very warm and i thought it would be for the price

Update Reply
julie j @ 10/10/2008 20:48  

Definitely get gortex kit!!! I've had a heine gerrick outfit for 4-5 years that ive been wearing EVERY day since i bought it, and i lived in the rainiest part of the UK - Rochdale! Rain, snow, slow/high speeds... it's been perfect and never let me down once. Only problem now is im fatter and wish id got a bigger size lol. As for boots, you cannot been Altberg boots. It's what the police use. 100% waterproof and top quality stuff. Had mine again 5 years and theyre brilliant. I can walk for days in them with no problem. No sweaty feet and never let any water in - ever. No need for waterproof socks and all that crap, just get some good boots. HOWEVER - be prepared to spend big money for Altbergs and the waiting list is about 1 year!!!! No joke. They will also reline, resole and rewaterproof them if you'd like after so many years. There's bikers who've had the same set of altbergs for 30 years and they just resole them every 10 years. Mine are 5 years old and i'm nowhere near ready to get them maintained.

Update Reply
Matt @ 10/10/2008 21:44  

altberg.co.uk/Web/motorcycle1.jsp

Update Reply
Matt @ 10/10/2008 21:46  

just up the road from me, might have a scoot up there sometime!

Update Reply
julie j @ 10/10/2008 22:26  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email