MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Help needed please yamaha XJ550 seca

Help needed please yamaha XJ550 seca - Forums [Biker Match] Help needed please yamaha XJ550 seca - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Help needed please yamaha XJ550 seca

ok not sure where to start, well i bought my last bike just recently about 3 or 4 weeks (pic on my profile) ago and am in need of parts to restore it, which is turning out to be more of a problem than i first thought it has got me down a little but i live for the challenge and so far have set myself the target of riding it to NABD (may) next year so plenty of time. it's a Yamaha XJ 550 83 seca I belive. right as it seem to be an import model haynes don't do a manaul which i could do with as i am not very mecanicaly minded person in the world, (give me pc and i am all good) but engines are a differant matter altogther. I have tried ebay and have had some small amount of luck with some stuff. but i am still on the look out for a fuel tank. i must thank everyone in advance for any help given please help i pulling hair out here.

Update Reply
Blitz @ 05/08/2008 09:59  

If it's an American import, there's a good chance that Clymer do a manual for it even if Haynes don't. There's quite a few US parts shops on the internet that are good for old Yam parts. Even including shipping they're often cheaper than British shops for small parts. Large parts like a tank might be a different matter. I've bought from this place in the past; http://www.z1enterprises.com/

Update Reply
mat750 @ 05/08/2008 12:49  

Mat you are a star i am looking at the website you have recommend and i thank you alot a real gent. thanks !! yeah that website is the bomb, this is my first restore on a bike and i would like to get it as near to how it was new as possible with my own little touch. got some very friendly friends that are going to teach and help me restore it. and who know finger crossed i might see some of you at NABD rally next year. just look out for a fatty on a yellow yamma. that will be me finger crossed

Update Reply
Blitz @ 05/08/2008 13:15  

This website might be useful as well; http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx It's got all the parts diagrams for all the American market Yamahas since 1963!! It's always useful to know part numbers when you're looking for replacements.

Update Reply
mat750 @ 05/08/2008 14:50  

also thanks again has been very helpfully i think i might have found my tank on ebay today in the states but not worried he wants £20 quid for it just hoping it not going to cost to much shipping it over. hoping to get a list of other parts he has might something else worth getting as well, as it might put the price's down a little of the combined shipping. finger crossed. But the main thing with the bike i am restoring was the ticking over did not like to tick over without the choke on, had a good friend and bike build come over today and re-adjust all the carbs and it is fine now. very happy today got a lot of what i want to do done today. very please with myself and am in need of a well deserved beer or two.

Update Reply
Blitz @ 06/08/2008 15:30  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email