MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Mirror Signal Manouver?

Mirror Signal Manouver? (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Mirror Signal Manouver? (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Mirror Signal Manouver?

A f****in big t**t! lol

Thanx for the PM

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 03/08/2009 00:13  

If your nearly past and your bikes got the grunt Then it is sometimes better to go for it As frag says always have an escape route so your in the danger zone for as short as posible or better still try and avoid danger zones

Update Reply
micksaway @ 03/08/2009 00:15  

Car driver not the only one at fault, bike was way too close and badly positioned no need to ride right on the bumper, hang back, position so you can be seen in door and interior mirror in the hope that they may look in one of them, move out to get a better sight line and then if it's clear nail it. The car driver was definitely a muppet but the bike contributed to the accident by making himself an easy target.

Update Reply
prof @ 03/08/2009 00:18  

i always....always...think a car is gonna pull out on me when there at a junction...that way i am ready when they do....and why do car drivers pull out a bit and make me poo my pants !!!!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/08/2009 00:27  

I agree with prof, however the car driver cannot be held totally responsible for the collision. Imagine you are driving that car, you come out of a 'no overtaking' stretch and want to get past the muppet in front of you. The video shows a rather nippy VW involved, but not the vehicle in front of him. You quickly check your mirror and there's nothing there (cause the biker's in a blind spot). Modern day bikes can accelerate like bullets nowadays and in the time between checking your mirror and you moving out, that rider has managed to get his bike up alongside you. When driving a car the last thing you would ever expect is another vehicle on the wrong side of you.

Update Reply
Blueboy955i @ 03/08/2009 00:38  

It's the right side BB it's a foreign bit of film, but that bike was behind the car a while before it all went "pete tong" we all have lapses now and again (if we did not there would vertully be no accidents) but I use the same check in a car as we all should on a bike, life saver it's called "for a bloody good reason" it actually does........

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 03/08/2009 02:14  

Was just thinking that very same thing HR was drilled into me by my instructor. Mirror, Signal, Double check, Lifesaver then Maneuver

Update Reply
micksaway @ 03/08/2009 02:25  

Few things to note here .How many of us ride with full lights on ? Also look through the car if your veiw is obstructed to see what is in front of the car we are about to over take . Be in the danger zone for the shortest time possible always !!! Take note of the road surface ( dry, good ,breaking up etc ) Look at the white lines ( short = no junctions ) long ones take caution ! Lots of things have changed in the last 25 years of riding bikes/ driving cars but mostly the shear volume of traffic . And modern bikes are so damm fast compared to roads clogged up with cars vans etc There is no substute for experence miles under your belt but good training will always help . Take care all ride safe

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/08/2009 04:23  

I have to agree with Prof here , the car driver was obviously waiting to overtake the 1st vehicle , as soon as the solid line ended he went for it...IMO the biker should have anticipated that move , they were ultimately both in the wrong though , riding on each others arses like that...impatience = accidents .

Update Reply
excalibur @ 03/08/2009 09:58  

Wow.... nearly 14 months and 11,000 miles have passed since I made my initial comment on this video!! Time flies like the wind... (but fruit flies like bananas).

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 03/08/2009 10:18  

I re bumped a load from back then TeeCee (for the newbies that missed them) supprisingly so a load only had a couple of post replies and most did not get any new comments

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 03/08/2009 11:03  

All points still relevant, HR - good job! People should go back through the archives to see earlier topics - a lot of wise people said a lot of wise things... and I think XK said something sometime too...

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 03/08/2009 11:05  

shhhhh he'll hear you, oh by the way if he can raise £100 in donations he'll shave his "Tee Cee" wannabe beard off at the Friendlies Rallie lmao "Having done his stirring for the day HR makes a bolt for the door" Finding it's now locked uses the window pmsl................

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 03/08/2009 11:18  

There's a lot more newbies on here since the 1st posting , i never check the dates...but goes to show 100% still relevant , good one Hull....this type of reading is always welcome imo.

Update Reply
excalibur @ 03/08/2009 12:47  

I'm just amazed someone agreed with me, I must be losing my touch.......

Update Reply
prof @ 03/08/2009 21:30  

I agree with you too Prof, as I do with Blue. 75/25 in favour of the car driver in my opinion. There is definitely a small car immediately in front of the red car and this small car has moved well over to the right after the bend, clearly to allow the red car to overtake. Check the vid again at around 9 seconds in. The red car is right up this small car's rear end and obviously itching to get past. The biker should have seen the small car move over and realised that the red car was probably going to overtake, if he was aware of course. As such, although the red car should have perhaps been more observant given that he must have known the bike was there, the biker should not have attempted the overtake of the two cars until he knew the red car was going to let him past. The bike should have hung back a bit and either allowed the red car to go or made his intentions very clear and not gone himself until he knew it was safe. Incidentally, having viewed the vid a few times, I notice that the bike doesn't really get alongside the car at all and it is only the rear of the car that collides with the bike. I am certain therefore that a quick touch of the brakes would have pulled the bike out of danger. Given this, I don't believe the rider was paying much attention to things at all to be frank, but then again, I'm not sure the car driver was either.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 07/08/2009 12:41  

Another point perhaps worth discussing; indicating/lifesavers for overtakes? I rarely indicate or perform lifesavers when overtaking as I believe they take up too much time. As soon as I see an overtake is both on and safe, I want to be gone. By the time I've started indicating and done my lifesaver, I could well look back up to find the opportunity has gone. Lifesavers are important, but if you are regularly checking around you anyway, you should have sufficient information to be able to get away with a quick look in the mirror before overtaking. There is a safety reason as well for not performing a lifesaver prior to an overtake. If I feel an overtake is likely to be on very soon, I will move up closer to the target vehicle (the vehicle I want to overtake). Once in this position I feel the last place I want to be looking is behind me. Even if the target vehicle slows down a little rather than brakes, which is quite possible if the driver has spotted you about to overtake, not watching him could have me in his boot. And as far as indicators are concerned, who are you indicating to? The chances are the first time the driver of the target vehicle realises that you are actually overtaking (rather than probably going to overtake soon) is when he/she realises you are alongside. Sometimes I will make the judgement call that although a vehicle is coming the other way, it is still far enough away to be able to make a safe overtake. Under these circumstances I may well indicate, but this is for the driver of the oncoming vehicle's benefit, not that of the target vehicle. What are peoples' thoughts?

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 07/08/2009 13:00  

Gents,

What is 'performing a lifesaver' first of all, i've done first aid but carrying out resuscitation just before an overtake could be difficult with a helmet on!

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 07/08/2009 13:32  

if thats a serious q lifesaver is a quick look over your shoulder b4 manouver

Update Reply
dunans @ 07/08/2009 13:53  

if you are aware of your surroundings at all times then yu will know where cars are and by looking well ahead you can generally tell impatient drivers both behind and in front!![generally bmw 's lol!!] and can steer clear or wave them on, a car a straight stretch of road means overtakin may happen specially if the car is up the one in fronts arse!! can yu see the drivers body language is he shifting the wheel or reaching fore a gear lever? or looking and leaning constantlyto his right trying to see past the car hes wanting to get past!! even the car goin side to side showing his or hers impatience!! this jerk is goin to go at any time so stay clear!!let him go! youll catch him up at the nxt obstruction or lights where you can be head of the queue!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 07/08/2009 14:54  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email