MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Mirror Signal Manouver?

Mirror Signal Manouver? (6) - Forums [Biker Match] Mirror Signal Manouver? (6) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Mirror Signal Manouver?

*Nobody likes a back seat driver, in a car they are annoying, on a bike they can be lethal.* prof, in a car they're in your lughole but on a bike they're silent, oh the joys of biking!! lol

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 09/08/2009 21:28  

The question arises "Which person, rider or pillion, has undergone the necessary training to allow them to control a motorcycle on the road?" Invariably it is the rider, with the pillion having little or no qualification to make judgement calls and distract the rider. A case in point with regard to a pillion being more of a danger than a passenger was a few years ago when I was travelling south on the M1. Unbeknown to me, the pillion had been having an exchange of hand signals with a car driver because that driver was on the phone whilst driving and the pillion was not amused by it. I was aware of the pillion fidgeting, but was concentrating too much on the road ahead of me. As it happens I was already making progress away from the driver, BUT this scenario could've taken a worse turn if that driver had taken umbridge and decided to vent his anger at being told off by retaliating. Imagine being hassled by a angry driver when you haven't got a clue as to why. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy taking a pillion with me, but leave the riding to the rider and enjoy the journey.

Update Reply
Blueboy955i @ 09/08/2009 22:15  

In a car they are in your lughole, on a bike they are kidney punching you!!

Update Reply
prof @ 09/08/2009 22:15  

Albeit kidney punching is communication, it's very quiet communication prof, well worth the pain lol!! Blue, haven't you just described the only situation by law where it's permissable to kick someones wing mirrors off and give the special 'V' sign to the driver whilst wheelying past at 90mph and doing a moonie? I'm sure I read that somewhere in the 'Biker Highway Code' lol

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 09/08/2009 22:25  

Kwak, how do you alert your rider to a potential hazard that you believe they haven't seen when I presume you don't have an intercom and in time for them to understand/interpret your signal and abort whatever they're about to do? I'd have thought they'd already started to change direction otherwise you'd have no reason to think they were about to and/or hadn't spotted the danger already. I also assume you're not turning round but taking a lifesaver yourself into the blind spot?

Update Reply
Roachy @ 09/08/2009 22:44  

kwak said in this post, its when she is pillioning and sees a potential danger , and notifys the pillion, i would rather just concentrate on whats in front and in my mirrors

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/08/2009 23:28  

I think a very Loud screem of car might just set alarm bells off in riders head. If I have missed a car thats about to crush me and the pillion is screaming I think I would give just that extra check. If your so close to the car in front that you dont have time to check you may want to rethink your road position. You will never be going that fast that something cant sneek up on you

Update Reply
micksaway @ 10/08/2009 00:52  

Wow that little vid on you tube grew into a good debate thred :oD

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 10/08/2009 01:18  

Good debates are great nobody taking it personal and lots of ideas to take away and ponder Like in the pub but with less beer

Update Reply
micksaway @ 10/08/2009 02:33  

It's more fun with beer

Update Reply
prof @ 10/08/2009 19:10  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email