MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

The Longest Day...

The Longest Day... - Forums [Biker Match] The Longest Day... - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

The Longest Day...

... Friday 20th June. (Not the film about the D-Day landings). The last few years I have climbed a local mountain and watched the sunset. Just wondered if anybody else does anything special...

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 19/06/2008 14:19  

errr...the longest day is the 21st June!..MY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!! Have spent it up in NW Scotland on previous occasions - Ullapool a few times, just sitting out watching the sun not quite going down (well it made a pretence of going down lol) Always wanted to get to Stone Henge, but never quite made it there!

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 19/06/2008 14:30  

ermmm... are you sure? I have looked at five different sources and they all say the 20th... I LOVE Ullapool!! We might be going up there for a ride this weekend! Contemplating riding up to Chanonry Point tomorrow night... that is where I saw the first sunrise of the New Millennium in... on a beach with the dolphins... *sigh* p.s. can you get anywhere near Stonehenge now?

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 19/06/2008 14:36  

This year technically its: in the UK on June 20, 2008 at 23:59 UTC. ;o)

It slightly varies each year...

I wouldn't recommend Stonehenge at Midsummer - it's a bleedin' nightmare... unless you get in with a friendly druid! lol

I used to go to Avebury, but likewise, that's got a bit silly recently... I prefer to find somewhere to be alone, preferably high up, to have a good old ponder...

Failing that, there's always nekkid dancing around the local standing stones? I make sure I do that alone too... I wouldn't want to inflict that on any innocent passersby ;o)

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 19/06/2008 14:38  

Glastonbury Torr its my second home usually get there for about 4am to watch the sun come up.

Update Reply
Scary @ 19/06/2008 14:41  

Oh... & just in case, UTC is equivalent to GMT ;o)

Universal Coordinated Time... Yes I know that's UCT... I think it was the Frenchie's fault? Someone like that. May as well blame the French as anyone eh?

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 19/06/2008 14:42  

Ooops!

Sorry France... *hangs head in shame*

Temps Universel Coordonné

*ahem*

Not their fault then ;o)

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 19/06/2008 14:43  

lol..poor confused Wannabe... (wouldn't that be TUC then?) Good to see some likeminded spirits on here....

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 19/06/2008 14:47  

Check out the "Druids Temple" nr Masham, N.Yorks.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/06/2008 14:51  

Prezackly... couldn't call it TUC... they probably held about 24 meetings to discuss what to call it... that's where your tax pennies went in 1972 ;o)

Scary - if you see my ex up there, have a word... tell him to stop being so damned soppy and get on with life? He's just moved to Wiltshire to follow his dream but he's suddenly decided he doesn't want that dream any more and wants to come back here! Noooooo! Lovely chap & all that, but noooo! lol

Maybe the Solstice will sort him out? ;o)

That, or Lui will ;o)

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 19/06/2008 14:53  

My 'Letts Academic Year Diary 2007-2008' states: Longest day Saturday 21st June. Sunrise 4:43. Sunset 21:22 BST. .

Update Reply
M.S. @ 19/06/2008 21:19  

http://scienceworld.wolfram.c...html

Update Reply
Sandi @ 20/06/2008 03:13  

Well, my W H Smiths Wall Planner says it is today.... The table on scienceworld says it uses a mathematical formula which could be an hour out, and seeing as four different sources I have found say that the solstice is on 20th June 2008 23:58 UTC then I can see where the confusion is.... Certainly, the event organised by English Heritage for the Summer Solstice is happening today (Friday 20th June) and the National Maritime Museum also indicates today as being the longest day. Why not just celebrate both days just in case....

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 20/06/2008 04:15  

LOL @ celebrate both days, any excuse for a knees up It used to be called 'Flaming June' but it always seems to be raining these days. I guess the 'Flaming' is the same as the 'Flamin' in 'Flamin' Hell!'

Update Reply
Sandi @ 20/06/2008 04:21  

lol Kwak! I put forward the motion that we should rename it Splishin' June...

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 20/06/2008 04:28  

'Motion' and 'splishing' I feel slightly sick "don't rock the boat, baby"

Update Reply
Sandi @ 20/06/2008 04:34  

*splishes around in her wicked wellies* Works for me

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 20/06/2008 05:00  

i'll jus get pissed as usual,cant be arsed wiv all this druid crap!gonna rain anyhow! life!tell me about it!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 20/06/2008 05:08  

Sounds like someone needs a hug.... er... that's a big MANLY hug.... *cough* ...maybe just a pat on the back... ..from a distance....

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 20/06/2008 05:11  

Are you telling me TM that going to Glastonbury and seeing all the naked Pagan witches dancing around the Torr doesn't interest you???

Update Reply
Scary @ 20/06/2008 05:14  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email