MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Manchester Fuel Duty Protest

Manchester Fuel Duty Protest - Forums [Biker Match] Manchester Fuel Duty Protest - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Manchester Fuel Duty Protest

Hi every one just let you all know that today in manchester approx 1500 bikes took part in a protest against fuel duty, it all started at 8am from birch sevices on the m62 and rode a go slow into manchester ending in salford quays outside 106.1 local radio station,the police would not let us ride part of the planned route so there was a 10 min stand off before alternate routes were agreed,all in all the protest was hailed a success by organizers with more protests planned,let you all know more as i find out more because there is rumours of a national protest to london in near future.

Update Reply
Leachy @ 05/06/2008 14:29  

Yeah was listening about it on Smooth all morning, although never previously knew about it was it advertised much, because a few of us would certainly have thrown a siccy to have joined them. I do live on Merseyside though. Do you know of any similar events happening on Merseyside, if so please PM me. Saw all the bikes on the news tonight, what a spectacular sight. Linda

Update Reply
lcotgrave @ 05/06/2008 17:46  

Same here...could have organised a Merseyside ride-out (probs not today, actually as I'm up to my eyes in builders, but that's another story)

Update Reply
Wills @ 05/06/2008 17:56  

I heard about ir too late. apperently it took the police and highways agency by surprise because of how quickly it was set up and by the fact it could not be stopped. the Times online has a good artivle on the protest with video from Sky News. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article4071480.ece The article also states that there is a national fuel protest on the 22nd of june that is being organised via facebook. i can't find it if anyone else can can you post the link.

Update Reply
Phil @ 05/06/2008 18:47  

Thanks Pagan wondered why not advertised, but understand now. First one to find info on facebook PM each other please Thanks Linda

Update Reply
lcotgrave @ 05/06/2008 19:11  

thats fantastic! If i was still livin in manc then i'd have been there (If id had known about it). Next time make it 20x bigger and last for longer, going all around the city. The police do help, and they block the junctions to allow you to go through on red etc (The do it on the Egg-run). Thumbs up to all who were in there.

Update Reply
Matt @ 06/06/2008 09:24  

ok time to let you know whats coming up.sshhh keep it between bikers,lol, JUNE 14th M56 Chester services riding to stanlow and thornton oil refinery at 7:15pm and for anyone around bury,rochdale meeting at 6pm at the white lion pub in centre of rochdale,hope to see you all there

Update Reply
Leachy @ 06/06/2008 16:24  

oh and the vids for 5th june ride in manchester are on youtube, heres the link http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bikers+fuel+protest&search_type=

Update Reply
Leachy @ 06/06/2008 16:26  

Maverick one of the organisers of the Manchester protest emailed me this link http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Lowerdut...30/

Update Reply
Phil @ 06/06/2008 18:32  

Hi all, the cost of fuel is starting cause real problems in the transport industry, i heard of so many companies going out of business some have been going almost 100 yrs. When are "car" drivers going to realize they can make the goverment listen!!! everyone alse acts whilst they just moan!

Update Reply
Retrowheely @ 07/06/2008 13:10  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email