MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Ultraseal - Any Opinions?

Ultraseal - Any Opinions? - Forums [Biker Match] Ultraseal - Any Opinions? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Ultraseal - Any Opinions?

Had a rear wheel puncture on my 'bike a couple of weeks ago where a large nail pierced the tyre. I ride in some pretty remote areas and could really do without being stranded in the middle of nowhere for hours waiting for recovery (or worse, being thrown off round a corner as almost happened). I have read reports about Ultraseal being a pretty good 'puncture-proof' sealant and have seen the video demonstration but I was wondering what peoples thoughts/experiences with it are. My wheels are laced so I run tubed tyres and I know Ultraseal is not as effective in them as in a tubeless tyre so any info from tubed tyre riders would be especially useful. Many thanks in advance, TC

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 03/06/2008 15:36  

Dunno about ultra seal but steer clear of "green slime" it's bloody crap it can just about let you limp home but not at any great speed and it fooks the tyre up making it nye on impossible to repair it later (my bikes tyre are rated at a level you are allowed to repair them and I had loads of tred left with a hole in the ctr part of the tred but could we buggery get a plug style patch to stick after we used slime) we even used an air powered stone to clean the area around the hole............. as far as I know non of the brands will g'tee a tyre will stay up if it's tubed (too many holes to plug once the tube is damaged, they tend to tare if forced to stay up after the hole is made then all air can escape through the spokes)

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 03/06/2008 18:31  

Very interesting topic I purchased two big bottles of Ultra Seal when I went to the Bluith Wells bike show a couple of years ago, enough to do my bike and my caravan tyres, it's still in the bottles as I have heard so many different reasons why I should and shouldn't use it, I have tubes in my bike tyres. When I spoke to one of the guys at Rospa bike club he swears by it and has said its saved him a few times and he rides thousands of miles on alsorts of road surfaces. I think now with me its just having the confidence to actually have a go at putting it in my tyres.

Update Reply
Cruiser gal @ 04/06/2008 04:41  

I have ran it in my bike tyres with no problems, I've had it in 2 sets of tyres, but I only had it put in this time as I was going to the TT where a puncture on way to ferry would ruin everything. I would never have it in my car tyres ever again. It caused handling problems in the car, which the company admitted was caused by their operator, but it still took about 5 months of constant phonecalls and creating a scene on their stand at the NEC bike show to get them to do anything about it. The customer service side of the company stinks, I wont be putting it in the next set of tyres. The car problem was about 3 years ago.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 04/06/2008 14:38  

Ultraseal is a thread that comes round and round again on one BMW forum I'm a member of. This was posted back in January, and is passed on without comment: Be Warned, not all Ultraseal is the real thing, apparently there has been a problem and the American manufacturers are going to get a new UK distributor. There are rumours that the imitation is not as effective as the genuine article.

Update Reply
Wills @ 04/06/2008 15:59  

thought about useing it last sunday when i got a flat on my way to loomies (buggered my whole day up) but id heard too many bad things about it nackering the tyre and valve ,my tyre being 10 miles old didnt take the chance got relayed home instead fixed 4 £15 im a a haappy larry again

Update Reply
tj.zx6r @ 04/06/2008 16:39  

Yeah ok if you are in a recovery co! Accept I was in the RAC and they took 3 hours to come look after me I was at the end of an 18 hours shift very early morning finish no shops open other than ASDA super market and all the pillock did when finally arriving was plug my tyre and send me on my way with a sorry but do not have trailer to take bike (he turned up in a small van)......... No longer a member of that org anymore bloody planks........

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 05/06/2008 11:49  

Thanks for all the input, guys & gals! H750R - I have heard the same about green slime!! CG - I will be going the DIY route myself - I am not going to trust it to a franchised installer. If you do it soon, please keep me informed? Fraglette - I am wondering if your problems were due to an inexperienced installer either putting the incorrect amount in and/or not going through the correct run-in procedure afterwards. (The operators just buy a franchise so their standards and capabilities may vary!). This is one of the reasons why I am going the DIY route. Wills - thanks for that!! I knew they had supply problems to the UK in late 2007 but not that there were cheap imitations going around... that is ANOTHER fly in the ointment.. TJ - are you talking about one of those aerosol puncture repair solvents? That was another option to carry around with me instead of having Ultraseal fitted. Have heard mixed reviews on them too. I have HOG assistance which guarantees to pick your bike up within 90 minutes and deliver it to a Harley dealer. I found this to be a fantastic service, the only downside that my repair bill came to about £110 to cover the labour they spent on removing my seized rear axle!! (Well it is a Harley with 2000 miles on it, what do you expect?? ). Gone are the days of just carrying a spare tube & repair kit around.... Thanks again for all your comments - further suggestions are more than welcome!

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 05/06/2008 12:16  

As we are sort of talking about break down assistance thought i would let you know what i heard from my AA man as he fixed my car, seems the car did not like me getting my new bike and riding it all week, front spring broke going out house gate for 1st time. He said they don't have trailers for bikes any more a management decision, they all used to keep a fold away trailer on the vans but all were scraped as it wasn't cost effective as not many bikes needed it. Well it seems it is now costing them loads as they contract it out to who ever is closest. And now they cannot carry you more than 60 miles anyway. This is the problem when a service for it's members is privatised for profit.

Update Reply
Suzuki_bob @ 05/06/2008 14:23  

I think MAG run a scheme for bike breakdown (and cars too for members) so that's bikes 1st then!!! Not too sure of details i did read it once but memory is not what it once was. It's time as bikers we put our foot down what's the point in paying for a return to home service that won't?

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 07/06/2008 16:38  

Tee Cee, I run Ride On TPS in all my bikes, tubed and tubeless. It is perfect for untreated alloy, doesn't corrode etc and works. Also, it's not as messy as the others when changing tubeless tyres. No one imports it to the UK so I usually buy a few bottles when I'm in the States but they will ship it to you. Touch wood, I have 140,000 plus miles without a puncture in the 6 years I've been using it. http://www.ride-on.com/

Update Reply
shooter @ 26/06/2008 06:22  

Thanks for the info, shooter! I am ordering some stuff from the States now so will see if they stock that too.

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 26/06/2008 06:54  

Now available in the UK! http://www.ride-on-uk.com/

Update Reply
shooter @ 09/07/2008 17:44  

Cheers shooter! Just trying to work out how much I need now. Good job I didn't order it from the States with my other stuff - am on the verge of cancelling that order through incompetency!

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 09/07/2008 18:00  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email