MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

bike to bike intercom

bike to bike intercom - Forums [Biker Match] bike to bike intercom - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

bike to bike intercom

Does anyone have any knowledge of any bike to bike intercom systems. I am trying to buy one for my brother for a wedding present. The only ones I have found have to be used with a full face helmet and he and his lady are open face riders. Any suggestions or advice? I think they'll like it more than a toaster or a duvet set.

Update Reply
ballymary @ 11/05/2008 12:26  

hi there there is a few bike to bike intercoms out there for openface helmets but the tend to get expensive we looked at a few and they were around £70 for the actual radio and then another £30 for the openface mikes!!!!! we went to lidl's and bought some of theirs and we got 2 radios with the mikes and earpplugs for £50 the pair and they work great,,, the only difference between openface and fullface is the mikes (wind noise etc) so the actual radio doesnt matter!!! get some walkie talkies with earplug adaptors then get the mikes you need monk

Update Reply
monkeyhanger @ 11/05/2008 13:50  

Hi Ballymary. I have an autocom system with a kenwood radio. Its one of the best systems out there but it's by no means cheap. Maplins also do an £80 system which inludes the radio. The one problem a lot of peeps had with autocom was the PTT switch. They aren't very well made and after a while they go oper circuite. I've fixed it by taking off the switch and wireing it into my passing light switch. there is also Starcom but not used that.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 12/05/2008 04:43  

I have two radios I got from maplins and at the time they were doing a really good deal two radios and headsets for less than £100 the headsets are normally £29.99 each, they are press to talk but I find I have never had any problems with them and I can tune my radio in with others I ride with, my headset isn't for an open faced helmet though I use mine in my flip front but you can always get the radios and headsets seperate.

Update Reply
Cruiser gal @ 12/05/2008 14:26  

thanks everyone for yr suggestions. I have a big Maplin store near me so I'll go and have a look.

Update Reply
ballymary @ 12/05/2008 16:30  

i would strongly recomend having a look at a autocom and fitting a sheap radio. I am onto my second autocom. i upgraded for the bluetooth dongle and fitted my old anf still fully functional one to my partners bike. The voice activated transmitt for the bikr to bike works well and is you want the push to tal switch mentioned befor is optional. autocom also let you plug in your phone mp3 player and sat nav too. also all partd are teplaceable including the leads that come out of the control unit.

Update Reply
Phil @ 14/05/2008 07:44  

I have a starcom system and it has been brilliant - admittedly as Bluesbiker says about the autocom, it ain't cheap, but they are good. (I think to be fair, the two systems are very similar). I don't have a PTT button, relying instead on the standard VOX system which I have never had a problem with. I have had a few very surprised people phone me to find I am on the bike, including one whilst I was doing about 90 along the M62! Only ever had two problems with it, neither of which were the system's fault. Firstly, I trapped one of the leads from the unit under the seat (where it shouldn't have been anyway, my fault entirely) and autocom replaced the lead for me for a tenner including postage. And the only other problem I have ever had was when I put the bike in for a service and the mechanic (for some reason) turned the volume to max! I was a little stunned when on my next long ride the little lady inside my Garmin Zumo screamed "TURN RIGHT IN 100YDS!!!!!!" as I left the house. It was so loud my neighbour heard it as she was getting out of her car! Overall, if you can afford it, get one (or an autocom).

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 14/05/2008 08:00  

i have had the satnav woman sout down your ear problem too. but that was my fault, i forgot my earplugs. I have to agree it is fun to hear the surprise in peoples voives when they try to fathom how you can be talking on the phone and riding a bike.

Update Reply
Phil @ 15/05/2008 13:57  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email