MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Scotoiler ends

Scotoiler ends - Forums [Biker Match] Scotoiler ends - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Scotoiler ends

ok ive got a scotoiler, its always been installed. Problem is - it's only got one of the single ends on it, as opposed to the double/split end that puts the oil in the right place.(Ok this is starting to sound dirty aint it? lol) So, my questions... 1) Are the single end scotoilers ok?2) If so - where should it be aimed - centre of the chain? My old mechanic told me that its no use oiling the chain in the middle. 3) Can the 'double-ender' (oo er) be fitted to an existing scotoiler, and where can one be bought from?

Update Reply
Matt @ 12/03/2008 19:22  

Hi Matt I like the single enders because its simple and works-i give the inner links an occasional extra oiling but the oil does migrate across [from the outer links].Aim it at the top of the outer link for the single ender.

Update Reply
iggypup @ 12/03/2008 19:28  

Hi Matt you can fit a double end to your exsisting oiller it just slids on pipe. Most shops that sell Scott Oilers will sell the double end. I fitted one to my Bbird drilled and tapped the swing arm as I didnt like the cable ties it came with dirt was always getting stuck behind them.

Update Reply
micksaway @ 13/03/2008 00:15  

"Aim it at the top of the outer link for the single ender. " How will it get accross all the chain then though?

Update Reply
Matt @ 13/03/2008 06:10  

Centrigugal force I believe Matt. If you go to their website scottoiler dot com it has all the info you could ever need. And they are really nice bods so they would probably post over to Holland for you

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 13/03/2008 14:40  

How will it get accross all the chain then though? Hi Matt the oil gets across by "capillary attraction" meaning the oil migrates across by finding tiny paths in the surface - like blotting paper. I have tried the single and the double injector and believe the single to be best. The double tends to feed one side more than the other and and is difficult to set. I once found when wheeling the bike backwards the double had snagged the chain and twist out of line. In fact Scottoiler said they only developed the double injector because some punters thought that a double would be better. I have mine set just before the rear sproket - TIP don't set the flow too fast - I find 1 drop a minute OK

Update Reply
Steve55 @ 23/03/2008 13:37  

is that 1 drop per minute on tick-over?

Update Reply
Matt @ 23/03/2008 13:55  

Yes - I always set mine at tick-over - but as far as I'm aware the speed of the engine does not effect the flow rate as it is regulated by the oil reservoir which is controlled by the vacuum from the inlet manifold.

Update Reply
Steve55 @ 23/03/2008 14:08  

the faster the engine is going the more air is being sucked in through the intake - and more suction on the scotoiler... surely?

Update Reply
Matt @ 23/03/2008 16:11  

No. Only 3cc of air moves back and forth in the engine intake actuating the diaphragm-valve. The engine side of the diaphragm is 'closed' so no air can be drawn in. The unit does not use a continuous vacuum. (From Scottoiler web page) http://www.scottoiler.com/support_faqs.asp#engine

Update Reply
Steve55 @ 23/03/2008 17:52  

Steve...how do you set it to start with tho please.....the VFR has one on and altho I filled the resevoir I don't know if it's actually dripping onto the chain...would appreciate your help

Update Reply
Herne @ 23/03/2008 18:11  

The vacuum is only to open the valve in the oiller then the oil flows by gravity so engine speed dosn't effect it. Herne if you turn it fully open you will see the oil flowing then turn back to set flow level

Update Reply
micksaway @ 26/03/2008 18:29  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email