MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Well Done Matt

Well Done Matt - Forums [Biker Match] Well Done Matt - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Well Done Matt

Well done Matt, you are an SQL Superhero. Unless you have done some other work in the background the resuffle of the forums has worked wounders. ** WARNING GEEK QUESTION*** I assume that the site has speeded up because now the forum is only searching throught a smaller talbe for that forum subject rather thatn on e immense table containing everything?? Ok the rest of you can look now.

Update Reply
Phil @ 08/03/2008 17:04  

I've lost the feeling in my arm. I've been moving bloody topics over for nearly two and a half hours!!!!

Update Reply
Di @ 08/03/2008 17:43  

yea my eyes are gonna blow up Di. We still need help everyone - so if anyone has some free time, PLEASE HELP US SORT OUT THE OLD TOPICS. PP - thanks for the comments. It's the miracle of SQL mate, tables, indexes, relationships and keys. With a bit of tricky programming at the front end. The back end (SQL) was really simple, add a few pages and change some existing ones... only took me all day lol. And no there isn't less tables, it's one giant one. Normalisation. Several tables is a bad idea, it means if a topic is moved then it has to be deleted/recreated elsewhere. Which would give it a new ID and everything - very bad idea. How it works is that you create 3 tables - Categories, Topics, Posts... and link them through keys. Each category has a key, each topic and every post also. When you view a specific forum now, it displays only the topics that have a specific category/forum key in them. Just as when you view the posts it only shows the ones that have a specific topic key attached to them. :-)Now, when we move the topic, it doesn't delete or move anything... it just changes the category key attached to the topic. Try this... go to the All Forums page. Click a forum, and you will be sent to AllTopics.asp.... with a parameter after the URL. Same again when you view a topic... you go to posts.asp - with ?topic_id=1234 after the URL.

Update Reply
Matt @ 08/03/2008 18:06  

Yeh...Well Done Matt! It's looking brill ! Rite..I'm gonna havta wimp out now..my right arms gone numb too! Glad to help out and will do some more tomorra ! Goodnight !

Update Reply
Karey @ 08/03/2008 21:00  

I gave up at 10 last night my eyes were burning and I couldn't destinguish a Joke from News anymore. But Im back at it already and will be throughout the day.....only 50+ pages left!!!!

Update Reply
Silvi @ 09/03/2008 01:52  

Oh yes, well done Matt ....... Now to find a particular thread I have to click twice!! Twice I say!! I personally think it's an outrage! Silvi - a lot of the things I see on the BBC nowadays, I have difficulty distinguishing jokes from news with!! What you need is a good back rub ........

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 09/03/2008 05:35  

Having seen the result, i think i prefere the old site. can you put it back the way it was please. (Thats a joke matt) I notice there isnt a section for miserable / suicidal. Have you just deleted them all? that must've freed up quite a bit of space.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 09/03/2008 05:49  

geoff That sounds like a great idea...are you offering??

Update Reply
Silvi @ 09/03/2008 06:56  

Cracked up at Blues suicidal comment I think the new layouts great, its a lot easier to use - well done to all the people who have done the work

Update Reply
Nutkin68 @ 09/03/2008 09:07  

geof an silvi get a room!an nutkin stop brown nosin!go to matlock an praise the almighty there!i hope to be there it'll be like goin on a pilgrimage to be saved!!one touch from the master an i will be saved!! praise be!amen! ps site does work better methinks at this early stage!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 09/03/2008 09:26  

cya there then TM

Update Reply
RC @ 09/03/2008 10:04  

ohh matt looks like the time is out by an hour lol its only 14-05 pm lol

Update Reply
RC @ 09/03/2008 10:05  

Nice one Matt, just finished a 2 hour stint moving topics. Sorry I couldnt help out last night i was working a late.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 09/03/2008 10:18  

Nice revamp folks top work *round of applause*

Update Reply
ZZRpilot @ 09/03/2008 12:05  

Blues - I reckon Matt figures that the suicidal probably won't be around long enough for their own forum Soz - bit late I know, but I'm trying to catch up...

Update Reply
stueylewie @ 09/03/2008 13:07  

Much much better style of forum Matt, I for one, think it is much better, it MIGHT stop some people moaning about certain threads being hijacked by triviality! My word, TM is coming to Matlock, what with Matt, it will be a meet no one can miss!

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 09/03/2008 13:55  

Fantastic work on the re vamp of the site, and excellent job done by all, thanks all for working so hard to make this all happen.

Update Reply
Cruiser gal @ 09/03/2008 14:13  

im gonna hide at matlock, and spy on you all for a little while. See how you behave when im not around lol. Thanks for all the comments guys, it's taken myself and all the staff a long time getting things straight. Lots of new code too, so dont be surprised if it doesnt work at times - just let me know as soon as u see any errors. Cheers

Update Reply
Matt @ 09/03/2008 14:55  

from what I can tell there are no errors at all Matt, well done everyone are there I what errors no all well Matt, everyone from tell done from can at

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 09/03/2008 16:34  

Well done Matt, you made it easy for us to swop everything over. Just about getting the feeling back in my arm now!!

Update Reply
Di @ 09/03/2008 16:38  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email