MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Welsh riding post 20mph changes

Welsh riding post 20mph changes - Forums [Biker Match] Welsh riding post 20mph changes - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Welsh riding post 20mph changes

As someone who grew up in South Wales and goes back every so often, I'm wondering what folks think about how the new 20mph and other lower speed limits affecting their riding/enjoyment?

The thought of winding through miles of 20mph limits is kind of putting me off the thought of a trip back next summer to visit, are other people having the same reaction?

Update Reply
BAT66 @ 01/11/2023 15:28  

Well, I'm sort of getting used to it. The only thing is I get bored, loose my concentration and tend to veer off in the wrong direction

Update Reply
Fink @ 01/11/2023 19:51  

Many villages and towns in England are doing the same, just in a piecemeal fashion. The trouble is, if all these lower speed limits are reducing accidents and injuries how come car insurance has gone up by an average of 61% ???

Update Reply
Strom67 @ 01/11/2023 20:06  

The 'odd' village in England with the 20mph limit is one thing, but say a ride from Cardiff Bay up into the valleys to Brecon if you wanted to stay off the A470 could take ages. With many of the towns and villages in effect running into one another, you could be riding for miles stuck in a 20 limit. As Fink said, miles and miles of 20mph gets boring, not alone what it does to the engine and fuel consumption as I would doubt one would get out of 1st or 2nd gear on many of the roads with the hills.

Added to that it's frankly embarrassing getting overtaken by a cyclist, as they share no legal obligation to adhere to the same speed limits as motorists. Given cyclists who breach the speed limit may not be prosecuted for a speeding offence this has often happened in London (ok they also run red lights etc. etc. which drives me nuts, since I've never seen a cyclist stopped by the Police for an offence).

(edited.... On checking it seems that it is, possible for local bylaws to impose speed limits on cyclists and on Hampstead Heath in London there is an 8mph speed limit for cyclists as well as Richmond Park which has set a speed limit of 20 which applies to all vehicles)

Update Reply
BAT66 @ 02/11/2023 17:32  

Stroms67 comment
if all these lower speed limits are reducing accidents and injuries how come car insurance has gone up by an average of 61% ??? It's down to the amount of claims they are getting from the EV market from what I have read lots of insurance companies are being hammered as body repair work won't be taken on by repair shops due to the fire risk isn't covered by there business policy so the cars are having to be written off. That's if they haven't already spontaneous combusted

Update Reply
JP @ 04/11/2023 06:33  

Too true JP. In addition apparently Teslas cost £17k for new batteries if they are driven through Scottish puddles... Imagine that insurance claim🤔

Update Reply
Strom67 @ 04/11/2023 08:19  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email