MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Most memorable winter riding or driving experience

Most memorable winter riding or driving experience - Forums [Biker Match] Most memorable winter riding or driving experience - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Most memorable winter riding or driving experience

Following on from a few other threads here and there it's got me thinking, what was your most memorable winter riding or driving experience? Good? Bad?

Mine was a couple of years back driving home from work. I knew snow was on the way but I had confidence in my trusty Suzuki Swift 4x4 would get me home.
Mine was going down a gentle bank in one of the villages I passed through. A solid stone wall one side, a line of parked cars the other, a T junction at end and the ABS purring away. I wasn't speeding down, but I wasn't slowing down either.
Do I crash my car into the wall or the cars to stop? Or do I just sail across the main road at the bottom, hope nothing is coming and drive into another wall opposite.
Thankfully a short distance from the junction was a small patch of dry tarmac under tree, just enough to stop me.
The psychologically scarring was, much worse than all the getting stuck or pirouetting down the road I've experienced. If it had all happened quickly I wouldn't have bothered me but it was all in slow motion.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 18/12/2022 09:01  

I remember many years ago in Germany, freezing rain was forecast and we were told to leave work early to try and get home safely. I had a 30 mile drive, decided to take the longer way back, avoiding little country roads and stay on hopefully gritted main roads. This was before mobile phones, my partner at the time waiting for my return.... It took me 5,5 hours....!! Heavy snow, freezing rain, rear wheel drive cars sliding all over the road... Eventually I reached a motorway and stuck myself behind a truck....

Update Reply
TheSlasher @ 18/12/2022 09:08  

Many years ago when i was young I had a triumph combo loved that bike and wish I still had it. Anyway I had gone to a girlfriends house and it had been snowing all afternoon the ride home was 1 of the best rides on a bike I have ever had. Every corner every turn was just a massive power slide no traffic and no police to spoil my fun. I didnt even feel the cold i was almost crying with the laughter.

Update Reply
JP @ 18/12/2022 11:33  

Last Saturday the gritters dint come out.i didn't know.n thot il be grand ..roads like a glass bottle and back wheel slipping about like mad.crazy ride to work and v scary.work's car park like an ice rink and all the girls staring out the window at me like I'd 3 heads.never again!!!♧☆♧

Update Reply
Suziwuz123 @ 18/12/2022 17:59  

Me and my mate on a Honda cd 200 and two up. We'd got caught in persistent snow deep in the Yorkshire Dales then slid off and as we picked ourselves up a car whizzed past with the occupants out the window laughing their asses off. Ten minutes later, after we restarted, we came across them again just over the brow of an hill and to our delight the same car had stuffed it into a Drystone wall as we sped by. Karma anybody 😃😂

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 19/12/2022 00:00  

Great subject. Always interesting to hear other stories. 🙂

My memory: 2003 NEC Bike show. I knew it was going to be a bit parky, forecast was for +3 degrees C for the trip home to Cheshire.
Journey home on my CBR 600F took 3 hours. Very icey. Some roads closed due to accidents. Needed to keep stopping to warm up.
I remember riding past an accident. Car was on it's roof. Police in attendance. I rode past at walking pace with both feet on the ground, acting as skis. I notice one Bobby mouthing " what the ...." as a trickled by the carnage.
Once home & thawed out I checked the temperature... it was -6 degrees C!!
No idea what windchill temperatures I'd experienced but it showed I had learned pretty quickly, having only started riding 16 months earlier.

Amazing what's possible when you put your mind to it.

Update Reply
Coffee n Cake @ 24/12/2022 14:02  

Blue fingers and the pain warming your pandies up on the real open fire afterwards. Oh the pain 😂

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 24/12/2022 23:37  

oh my god the pain!!! running arou d feeling like my fingers are gonna explode!!!
I always thought I ought to get some kinda mitten cover on my handlebars or heated grips but I never did and Sheesh I felt it!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/12/2022 00:21  

sliding 50m sidewise, next to my cb200, on compacted snow at 8am riding to work. no damage to me or bike thanks to compacted snow

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/12/2022 14:07  

My (then) girlfriend's Mini was staring at an MoT failure through rotted sills, and she'd decided to scrap it as the whole contraption was held together by body filler.
While it was still legal to drive, I took it out for a spin one wintry day on deserted icy roads, without a care in the world. Several spins, to be accurate, each one wilder than the other.
Eventually the fun had to stop, and I drove home rather more carefully on roads where there was traffic about. First set of lights, I rolled gently to a halt on the stop line, which is more than the car behind me managed.
He locked up all four wheels and slid full-tilt into the back of the Mini.
His insurance paid for the lot. And the write-off value for a Mini with an MoT was considerably more than what the scrappie was offering.
Result!

Update Reply
Wills @ 28/12/2022 10:24  

The first time I encountered snow, having recently passed my test. I was working, I looked out of the window I could see the roads were beginning to disappear under a white blanket.

Having pulled my big girl pants up and braved the trudge to the car. I gave myself a pep talk... You got this, Linz...

I managed to get myself out of the car park and onto A64, all was fine, although nose to tail traffic, until I took the stupid option (thought I was being clever) and took a 'short cut' up Halton Hill... Traffic queued to the left, I took the right lane, up to the top junction but couldn't get my car over into the other lane. Ok, let's go straight on through the grounds of Temple Newsam House (stupidity?).

I slowly battled my way through pristine snow, my poor little Hyundai X2 protesting every so often. I eventually got home (it took hours) it seemed once I got to A63 that everyone had forgotten how to drive and were abandoning their vehicles.

When I pulled up at home I was told in no uncertain terms (by my then husband) that I had been very stupid to go the route I did. As that would have been the last route anyone would think of using.

Ahhh well it worked for me.
The only downside was that after protesting for months about not wanting or needing a mobile phone, I was immediately given one and told to use it!

I was so proud (*smug if I'm honest!) of myself having had a short chat with my mum about winter driving, after passing my test, that I got back without mishap. Thanks mum 🙏

Update Reply
Lindsay @ 30/12/2022 15:16  

Going over the moores on my brand new suzuki ts125j trail bike
jan 1st 1974 first regesterd
We stoppd for stoppd for lunch walkd arpund to sort of keep warm
Time to set off again
Cud ride my bike over snow drifts and it didnt sink
One of the lads had triumph trail bike 500cc thingy
He set off front suspension frozen solid
He ended up raming it into the old stone wall to free it off
It workd after 5 mins
Worst part was going down hill on green road
Brakes water logd z bend in the track
Was a wild ride bike bucking and trying to chuck me off
But made it even though bike was at the bottom of walls where grass meets wall on both sides of track
Needles to say we all had coffee brake when we got to grassington
All good fun

Update Reply
havfun @ 12/02/2023 19:32  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email