MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

kill switch

kill switch - Forums [Biker Match] kill switch - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

kill switch

anybody else had a problem with the prop stand kill switch ? , . they reckon it will play up esp. when its raining ? .

Update Reply
baxi @ 28/07/2022 10:01  

Never had a problem with them in rain snow ice or that sunny day we had.
But if 1 failed i would only bypass it to get home

Update Reply
JP @ 28/07/2022 11:28  

On one of my old Tiger 955i I had to clean the switch every so often because road dirt would stop plunger coming out so the bike would cut out when I put her in gear thinking the stand was still down.
That's the only problem I've had with one.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 28/07/2022 15:12  

jp perhaps you could tell us all how to bypass switch , just in case it does happen ? .

Update Reply
baxi @ 29/07/2022 10:28  

Pull the 2 wires off the switch and twist them together. But make sure you cut them at the switch on the side stand and not the plug end you will need the plug intact to plug in the new switch. Please dont do this for any other reason than get you home, it will hurt a lot if you forget the side stand and ride off

Update Reply
JP @ 29/07/2022 16:37  

I sometimes have an issue if to much gunk builds up around the switch but plenty of degreeser and then wd40 and its good for another year or 2

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/08/2022 20:54  

Wear in the pivot and or the spring can also cause issues though weather wouldn't effect that as much as bumps in the road.

Update Reply
Ric Ochet @ 24/08/2022 22:33  

The spring on one of my bikes sometimes doesn't bring the side stand back far enough due to it weakening from use. A simple job to replace when I get time.

Update Reply
LincsGSX @ 25/08/2022 11:28  

Another solution is to buy an off the shelf NO (Normally Open) magnetic reed switch, wire that in and attach the magnet to the stand and position the new switch so the magnet operates the reed, there are many ones suitable on eBay, a bit of drill and tapping and crimp connectors, could be sorted and trouble free within a couple of hours,

Update Reply
Parny @ 16/11/2022 16:45  

Just keep it clean, smear a bit of vaseline on to keep the wet out. Job done.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/11/2022 22:35  

Hi All,

What I do is make a short piece of wire up with the same type connectors, IE, bullet type or spade type, and carry this either in my jacket pocket as in my case as I have more than one bike, or just pop it under your seat.
If you have a problem with the switch just disconnect the switch and plug in your piece of wire to bypass it.

Also. I have done this in the past when my electric cooling fan switch went faulty.

MUST STRESS Only do this as a temporary get home hack, and replace the switch ASAP.

Cheers
BTD

Update Reply
BTD @ 29/11/2022 12:07  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email