MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

My first prang ??

My first prang ?? - Forums [Biker Match] My first prang ?? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

My first prang ??

Well, firstly to apologise to anyone I've been chatting to lately for going quiet, but I came off, or more specifically - dropped the bike on myself for the first time last week and bust my ankle. It's such a damper, and I'm pissed off with myself. I'm here for some reassurance and tips! How have you guys got past this crap stuff?

Update Reply
DiBrown @ 08/06/2021 17:59  

Once you heal properly,just get back on and ride...anyone who's not had a spill,even stationary,hasn't been trying hard enough..hope you heal up fast,pride included..xx

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 08/06/2021 21:17  

We have all had some kind of drop or minor off ,get well soon and get back on it

Update Reply
zx12r ninja 03 @ 08/06/2021 21:33  

Try to figure out what you did wrong. That will help overcome The Fear and you will get back on the bike stronger and wiser (and with an achey foot for a while!)

Update Reply
ChrisA63 @ 08/06/2021 21:36  

Thanks Jinx. I guess it was gonna happen! I had revved up to rejoin my place in a group ride, and hadn't seen the gravel - flipped the bike over pretty smartly. But I'll be back on asap! x

Update Reply
DiBrown @ 08/06/2021 21:39  

I'd pulled in as the cornerman, and was busy watching behind for the other riders and tailgunner. Plus the cars going past. So I was checking everywhere except the ground I'd stopped on 🤦🏼‍♀️

Update Reply
DiBrown @ 08/06/2021 21:44  

They do say that the man (woman) who has never made a mistake has never learnt anything. Mistake made, lesson learnt, carry on that bit wiser.

Update Reply
Winchester @ 08/06/2021 23:45  

Sorry to hear about the bust ankle. Hope it is not too painful, and boots gave you some protection. How long will it take to heal? Road surface is just another thing you learn to look out for. I once read in a bike magazine Experience is that thing you learn just after you need it.

Update Reply
GSNige @ 09/06/2021 00:05  

Most of us have tumbled at some time. Inwardly you will have gained more knowledge and will help you for the future. Get well soon and do not rush it. Make sure your ankle is strong again before venturing out on your bike.

Update Reply
Hondabuddy @ 09/06/2021 07:37  

Hi
Scan the road for the surface
Pick the surface that’s best to brake on
If it’s good to brake on it’s good to accelerate on .
Hope you make a speedy recovery
Check out your local Iam/ Rospa group’s

Update Reply
Limeninja0121 @ 09/06/2021 07:47  

P.S....hope not too much damage to your bike,too..swift recovery Di..👍

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 09/06/2021 09:51  

Thanks all, and yes the second question is always ' Oh dear - but how's the bike??' 😆
So hardly a scratch, just scrapes to the mirror and clutch tip, inevitably.
My Daytona boots have certainly prevented a worse outcome so that was a great investment.

Thanks for your words - and the takeaway from this is a lesson learned

Update Reply
DiBrown @ 09/06/2021 10:37  

Been off the foot for 2 weeks, as I'd ruptured the ligament. Lots of feet up time in the garden with ice cream, frozen peas on the leg and my neighbour's bike mags so could be worse! Another couple of weeks and I'll see how it feels

Update Reply
DiBrown @ 09/06/2021 10:49  

Di - to reassure you, it happens at some time to all of us. It’s a hazard of the biker world as said in various of the other replies. Between rugby and bikes, I gave up counting fractures many years ago. I’m glad you “walked” away from the prang (pun intended) with nothing too serious. Learn from it, and get back out there!

Update Reply
StaffsTaff @ 09/06/2021 17:42  

Been knocked off 3 x
Just get back up and on.

Update Reply
Hdlea @ 09/06/2021 18:49  

I always keep a number of reusable sport ice packs in the freezer for body repair, strains, tears. If you have two or three means you always have a cold one. Invest in some ankle support or strapping if you have not already got some to help the healing process.

Update Reply
GSNige @ 09/06/2021 20:24  

All good advice and wise words. And I've just found out my Daytona don't have an exoskeleton - if they had, maybe my ankle wouldn't have hyperextended

Update Reply
DiBrown @ 09/06/2021 22:14  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email