MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

A little advice please

A little advice please - Forums [Biker Match] A little advice please - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

A little advice please

Hi BMers,

I’m thinking of buying a BMW in a private sale i.e. no warranty. I’ve not had the best experience with them in the past (clutches going at 9K miles, cam wheel coming off whilst riding and destroying engine). Does anyone know where I can buy a third-party insurance to cover the cost of repairs if needed?? Does anyone use them and can recommend??

Ta very much

Update Reply
markbp70 @ 20/07/2020 09:07  

At a guess unless you have had it from new with a service warenty you won't get 1

Update Reply
JP @ 20/07/2020 09:25  

Buy a Jap bike! 47yrs on them (Various 15+) and NEVER had one fail me! Curiosity.. what kind of BM?
IMHO.. Like their cars.. BM's have great specs and attributes.. as long as they work. However, for a premium make at premium prices, spares included, they never rate in the highest categories for reliability. Electrics, shaft drive issues etc.
My guess is, IF you found some such insurance, the premiums would outweigh punting a bet on what some failure might cost to fix yourself?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/07/2020 10:49  

My last one was a K1200S. Fantastic bike but, it was always having problems..steering (ball joint on the Hossack suspension)...electrics (switch gear would turn on for no apparent reason) and all the other problems already mentioned.
----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Buy a Jap bike! 47yrs on them (Various 15+) and NEVER had one fail me! Curiosity.. what kind of BM?
IMHO.. Like their cars.. BM's have great specs and attributes.. as long as they work. However, for a...

Update Reply
markbp70 @ 20/07/2020 11:52  

Well man.. there are just way too many choices out there in varying setups.. 1200-1400 motors that are pretty much bulletproof and tried and proven. Big Kawas and Suzukis, Hondas that are good for 100k miles with no more than routine maintenance and consumables. They just work!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/07/2020 12:58  

Why buy a BMW if you have had issues before

Update Reply
póg mo thóin @ 23/07/2020 00:26  

For me it's the performance and the fact that I fit the bikes (long legs you see) 😂

Update Reply
markbp70 @ 26/07/2020 22:42  

best buy from a dealer, might be a bit more expensive. but has the back-up and reassurance of dealership warranty

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/07/2020 14:53  

I have got a collection of Japanese bikes, my touring bike is a 1990 FJ1200 with 67000 on the clock, totally reliable, so why change it?

Update Reply
SteamBiker @ 06/08/2020 09:59  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email