MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Newbies Forum

Recommendations

Recommendations - Forums [Biker Match] Recommendations - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Newbies Forum /

Recommendations

Afternoon all. Just a quick hello from a newbie here. Planning on taking my direct access course hopefully when lockdown eases a bit. Riding a Honda 125cc at this present time. Basically being a short ass at only 5ft4 as a first bike once passed my test I am asking everyone’s opinions what they think and recommend. I’ve done a taster session on a Suzuki sv650 which I quite liked but does anyone have any other thoughts
Many thanks. Stay safe and happy riding x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/06/2020 12:40  

Hiya, I have a kawasaki z650 and it is a small bike with a low seat height. It's a very approachable bike and not threatening to new riders. It's got plenty enough power but is relatively easy and predictable to ride - a great first 'big bike' in my honest opinion. Looks are subjective but I think it looks great. Anyway, I hope that helped. Matt

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/06/2020 13:19  

You might want to check out the Enfield Interceptor- go and have a sit on any bike you like is always the best way of finding out- good luck!

Update Reply
Gallowglass @ 08/06/2020 14:01  

Had an SV650 as my first big bike, great little machines. Also looked at an ER6.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/06/2020 15:43  

There is a low seat option for the V strom 650 although the normal seat is lowish. I may be 6 ft but only have a 31 inch inside leg and it's almost too low for me as standard. Try one... From memory the CB 500 X is fairly low but don't quote me on that.

Update Reply
Strom67 @ 08/06/2020 22:23  

If you want a low seat and impeccable reliability then the Honda Rebel 500 is the one to look at.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 09/06/2020 08:24  

Mmmm TBH unless you look at your bike longilly when you park it up, you've bought the wrong bike.

Once you've put together a short-list I think that's the time when you should ask for advice really.

Adopting that theory has caused me to own a Honda and a Harley, so I'm not really sure it's good advice.

In my defence I've never owned a tourer or an adventure type bike, coz they is just plain fugly! 😉

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 09/06/2020 12:32  

The SV is a good 0ption for a first bike but do go and have a sit on as many as you can but bear in mind that they feel different on the road, be good if you could get a test ride on them firest

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 09/06/2020 13:03  

Hi, The SV is a great bike for the shorter rider, although I found they ran out of power pretty quickly through gears or the gears were very short, that's said it's a small V-Twin and so that comes with the territory, as long as your after that style, there the newer SFV650 its a bit poker still a V though, You may find that a different engine design feels better (or worse) Inline 4's will be smoother for example. Great advice about sitting on loads of bikes too, you may be slightly less tall than some but you' be surprised how accommodating modern bikes are, you can always change the seat to lower the height too.
Good look finding your perfect ride... its out there..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/06/2020 22:44  

Thankyou all very much for all your help and advice. I have taken into account all and see where I end up x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/06/2020 12:21  

Hi if you did find a bike you really did like and it was a little to tall for you there are companies online that do seat adjustments to make the height shorter for the rider, depending on the size of the seat they don’t cost a great deal and sometimes if your lucky you find them second hand for sale like I did with my Suzuki DR400 dirt bike. :D happy bike shopping x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/06/2020 12:23  

Hi Im' 5' 2. After having bikes lowered over the years or a lower seat I'm happy with my Harley Superlow. Great to put both feet on the ground. Good luck with your search.

Update Reply
hazelp @ 21/06/2020 21:36  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email