MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle Events & Rides Out

MOT extension on expires

MOT extension on expires - Forums [Biker Match] MOT extension on expires - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle Events & Rides Out /

MOT extension on expires

The DVLA have said that all mot that expire after the March 30th will be given a 6 month extension but you must make sure your bike is safe

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 26/03/2020 02:26  

Will you still be able to tax it Bill ? I once tried to tax my Tiger with less than a month on MOT, it wouldn't let me.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/03/2020 09:53  

Yes you can still tax bikes but if the mot run out befor the 30th March you will still have to get it mot,d and there should still be some mot station's open.
It should of let you tax it, I have done so just day's before it ran out but had to use a post office

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 26/03/2020 13:19  

I was thinking the same brengunner. Your vehicle needs to have valid Insurance/MOT before taxing. Hopefully the DVLA should have put legislation in for online taxing, to pick up on the 6 months MOT grace 🤔 Hopefully you won't get spat back during online application.
Thanks Bill for your info and confirmation regarding the post office application👍

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 26/03/2020 16:03  

Is this just bikes or cars too??

Update Reply
Matt04 @ 26/03/2020 17:47  

Cars and bikes Matt. Dont think HGVs will be included but i could be wrong. Not sure how you would go about selling a vehicle though within the 6 months extension because you wont be able to supply a current MOT certificate. There are still MOT stations open so it may be best to get an MOT if you can.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/03/2020 19:07  

Ty for info.
Was thinking I'd try and get one if I can. Better to have one if you can I think

Update Reply
Matt04 @ 27/03/2020 06:41  

This is offM&Ps email Government MOT Advice - What you need to do
"You do not need to do anything to extend your vehicle’s MOT expiry date if it’s on or after 30 March 2020. However, you must keep your vehicle safe to drive.
Your vehicle will be automatically given a 6-month MOT exemption. This will extend your current MOT expiry date by 6 months."

If your vehicle tax is due, you can tax your vehicle as soon as your MOT due date has been updated.

If your vehicle’s first MOT is due
If your first MOT was due before 30 March 2020 and your vehicle did not pass
Your vehicle will not get an extension to its MOT due date.
Your vehicle will need to pass an MOT before you can drive it again.

The government is allowing MOT centres and garages to remain open. So you can still get an MOT if you need your vehicle.

Read the full guidance on staying at home and away from others.
Keep your vehicle safe to drive

You must make sure your vehicle is safe to drive (‘roadworthy’). It can be unsafe even if your MOT expiry date has been extended.

Ride safe and look after each other.

Update Reply
JP @ 27/03/2020 11:40  

What's not clear.... is there an end date when they stop extending by 6 months? So if it passed it's MOT on 29th March 2020, it's not due until the same date in 2021, which is"after 30 March 2020", so have you got 18 months MOT?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/03/2020 14:33  

My guess is you'll have to mot asap after all this but you'll have up to 6 months.
WARNING in the small print!
You! Have to be sure your bike/ car is road worthy ! So if you are involved in a bump during your extension and your vehicle is thought UNroadworthy YOU will be liable and you can bet your insurance will wash their hands
Be careful!
My advice try get a mot ASAP

Update Reply
Matt04 @ 30/03/2020 16:38  

I just wouldn't risk it the MOT stations are still open if its been tested you cant fall foul of any small print you miss

Update Reply
JP @ 30/03/2020 17:07  

Might get the kwak tested wednesday, got tomorrow to check it over and get the battery charged up.

Update Reply
Double six @ 30/03/2020 17:29  

Its going to be interesting to see what happens with insurance, will they do the usual increase where they can or give us a reduction as at the moment they have pocketed all that premium money and not having to pay anything out, not traffic, no accidents, no pay outs, BIG PROFITS!
And the same goes for breakdown cover, no call outs!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/03/2020 18:58  

I think the insurance should also have a 6 month extension, but don't think it will happen

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 31/03/2020 03:33  

🤣🤣🤣 love your optimism

Update Reply
Matt04 @ 31/03/2020 08:48  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email