MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

New tax proposals could see poorer bikers penalised, From MCN

New tax proposals could see poorer bikers penalised, From MCN - Forums [Biker Match] New tax proposals could see poorer bikers penalised, From MCN - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

New tax proposals could see poorer bikers penalised, From MCN

Following yesterday’s Budget, the HM Treasury has issued a ‘call for evidence’ to assess changing the way VED tax is charged for motorcycles on UK roads. The suggestion is to move to a CO2-based system like car drivers pay now, where the higher the carbon dioxide emissions of the vehicle, the higher the rate of tax you pay.

This move is geared towards encouraging the purchase of modern bikes, adhering to the latest emissions standards, and could have a significant impact on the secondhand market as the older, highest-polluting models are likely to be hit hard. It's likely to be good news if you can afford to buy a new bike, however.

At present the VED for motorbikes is charged at a simple engine capacity-based rate. If you have a motorbike displacing less that 150cc, you pay £20 a year, while 151-400cc bikes cost £43 a year. The next threshold is 401-600cc, which is £66, and over that it’s £91.
However, the proposal document says: “The government now has data on the carbon emissions of different motorcycle models. This provides scope to for charging VED on motorcycles the basis of their carbon emissions, which could encourage the purchase of the cleanest models.”

The other issue is bikes that do not have stated CO2 emissions from the manufacturers because they’re old enough that it wasn’t recorded.

In that case, the bikes are likely be to placed in bands based on their engine size, which could see large displacement older models (some BMWs and Harleys for instance) with exorbitant year taxes.

So big changes could be on the way for bikers paying VED, and the Government is calling for opinions on the following questions:

Do you think motorcycles should be taxed based on carbon emissions?

What impact would this have on the behaviour of those looking to purchase a new motorcycle?

If you’ve got responses to these queries, you’re invited to send them to ETTAnswers@hmtreasury.gov.uk

The call for evidence will be open for the next 12 weeks, closing on Wednesday June 3, 2020.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 14/03/2020 18:18  

some v twins have a diff fuel Ratio between heads front can run hot back alittle cooler lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/03/2020 21:13  

pick your pipe of choice

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/03/2020 21:14  

I can't complain I guess, I have a 2.3 litre engine and no Cat. Will be interesting to see if there is a scrappage scheme.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/03/2020 18:28  

I can't see any serious biker changing their buying habits based on road tax. I doubt most bikers consider how much fuel they burn (MPG) when in the zone. Just another way to get taxes, because they know bikers won't change for the sake of £100 per annum. Lets hope they don't introduce emissions test at MOT's.
I think it should all be done on fuel tax, then its fair for everyone.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/03/2020 18:31  

Could be a Honda 50 is the way to go 🤗

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 15/03/2020 20:52  

could be we all get older bikes that are Tax exempt! ooh all those 2 stokes from the 70's

Update Reply
cyclemania @ 16/03/2020 00:25  

That means I'd better get my 1925 AJS out than

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 16/03/2020 03:56  

could be we all get older bikes that are Tax exempt! ooh all those 2 stokes from the 70's

Will have you know Cyclemania I had a brill Suzuki 175cc 2 stroke from 1978 to 1980 :-)
I'm sure you guys will remember those days when you could ride up to a 250cc on a provisional licence, plus insurance wasn't silly money then either! Ooooh how times have changed!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/03/2020 09:30  

as usual the powers that be have us by the short hairs. Bikers are generally so passionate that they will never give up their steeds and will be forced to cough up for their older bikes as the many thousands needed to purchase a newer bike may well be out of their reach.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/03/2020 15:04  

We could always stick electric motors in our bikes and something to make the noise of a open mega.

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 31/03/2020 03:38  

I am lucky my trike is over 40 years old so Road Tax Fee Exemption

Update Reply
póg mo thóin @ 14/07/2020 17:18  

There shouldn’t be any tax or tolls for motorcycles as the treasury take (& overall pollution) is insignificant. It is just bureaucracy for the sake of it (the English are control freak - there must be a law, to regulate - inadequate people).
As for extra injuries costing the State, if motorcycling were banned the same people would be doing other risky stuff instead.
A modern soldier at a war front has less risk of death than if he was at home.

Update Reply
JoePilot @ 26/07/2020 10:58  

The fuel has so much tax included that no other taxes should be applied to any motor vehicle. And rightly said - it is fair for all, more fuel you use, more tax you pay. It is just that the gov is so greedy and has never have enough, so they constantly search for new ways to grab you money.

----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
I can't see any serious biker changing their buying habits based on road tax. I doubt most bikers consider how much fuel they burn (MPG) when in the zone. Just another way to get taxes, because they...

Update Reply
Igytom @ 30/07/2020 20:20  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email