MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Advice please!

Advice please! - Forums [Biker Match] Advice please! - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Advice please!

Dear all, need any advice you guys might have. Ok this is the scenario! The letting agency whom I rent from have pulled a fast one and disappeared (allegedly gone into liquidation!) taking everyones deposits with them. They were legally supposed to put the deposit in a holding place (named on my tenancy agreement) but didn't pay their insurance indemnity and consequently didn't pay in any deposits. Any ideas on where I stand with this? I can't get hold of anyone at the citizens advice as its appointment only and no appointments are available till week after next! Anyone fancy a spot of knee cap breaking?!!!!

Update Reply
middlv @ 25/01/2008 17:36  

V you could phone a solicitor, they will give you basic advice over the phone, and, most solicitors usually give you your first 10-15 minutes consultation free. You could also try another town's CAB office, one that does a ticket service then ya wouldn't have to wait weeks, just hours. Good luck I hope you get good advice tho I have to say if the company bosses have gone into hiding I doubt you'll see your deposit.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 25/01/2008 17:41  

basicaly its fraud so ave words with the police,but gettin yer money back seems unlikely!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 25/01/2008 17:51  

All the above, plus phone your local paper, the Southern Daily Echo. http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/ You obviously won't be the same person in this situation, so they'll be able to create a collective stink.

Update Reply
Wills @ 25/01/2008 18:01  

Oh gawd Vic, thats terrible news :o( no added advice i'm afraid to what has already been suggested, but sending you a hug hun... good luck and see you soon xx

Update Reply
wiccan-one @ 25/01/2008 18:07  

I would guess that maybe they would have to register with a county court if they had gone into liquidation,if this is the case,there will be names on the documents of share holders etc. legally you would have to register an interest in claiming what you are owed(i think?)but most of the time its '20p in the pound' sort of thing,depending on the amount of 'assets'they have? If it were me i would be a bit p***ed about it!

Update Reply
actionman @ 25/01/2008 18:52  

Hey Vic Sorry to read about this - I'll add another big hug to Wiccan's As per Tango If they've simply done a runner then it's theft/fraud, but you'd have to track them down As per Actionman If it's a legit liquidation then you can find 'em but you may as well forget it Despite it being your money you are unlikely to be a preferential creditor - these are usually the Revenue and any secured loans Most businesses that go bust will owe HMRC for oustanding taxes/VAT/PAYE/NI as skipping these in the short term gives them more cash to play with (ie making sure they get paid...) Sorry it's all bad news The baseball bat is always the favourite option

Update Reply
stueylewie @ 25/01/2008 19:14  

Cheers for the advice guys, I'll see what I can sort out over the next week. I'm certainly thinking the baseball bat option is looking good! XXv

Update Reply
middlv @ 26/01/2008 03:18  

who yu payin rent to now?do the actual property owners know anything?have they left with collected rent money if they have the landlords will be after em an all!!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 26/01/2008 04:31  

Hey Vix I'll help you out with the baseball bat idea. Going down that route myself at the mo with someone that has owed me money I leant him from my savings over 6 months ago!!!!! My new fella has emailed him and surprise surprise he has not had the balls to get back to him. But you find em, I'll hit em. Quick before baby is born cuz Im gonna behave then and be a good girl!!!!!!! Big cuddle for you babe and sorry to hear ya crap situation

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/01/2008 05:32  

Can you not take them to the small claims court ? Gather up all your evidence and then apply to small claims . I did this once against a tiler who owed me money. If they dont turn up to court then it goes in your favour then the courts will start legal proceedings on your behalf to recover monies owed . IE :turn it over to a debt collection agency and believe me nobody wants them knocking at their doors . anyway good luck not sure if this will work for you but if all else fails then its certainly worth a try .

Update Reply
milly molly @ 27/01/2008 06:13  

I'll find out a bit more as to what can be done tomorrow as the world stops at the weekend (unless you work for the NHS like me!) Thankyou so much for all the bits of advice, fingers crossed everyone can get their money back, but if not I'll employ one of you guys to hold them down whilst I use the bat!! Xv

Update Reply
middlv @ 27/01/2008 12:23  

You may have a claim against the landlord as the letting agency are the landlords agents. Are you coming to the end of the tenancy and needing to move or is there still some time to go?

Update Reply
shooter @ 27/01/2008 17:50  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email