MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Motorcycle Tax Evasion - Its Not Right

Motorcycle Tax Evasion - Its Not Right - Forums [Biker Match] Motorcycle Tax Evasion - Its Not Right - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Motorcycle Tax Evasion - Its Not Right

Issued 23rd January 2008 The Motorcycle Action Group (MAG UK) remain sceptical of the claim in a recent report that 40% of bikers evade paying VED. Anecdotal visual studies carried out by the group at motorcycle events do not reflect anything remotely like this level of non compliance. Unfortunately the media has jumped on this unreliable and suspect headline figure to brand motorcyclists as law breakers. The report, from the House of Commons, Committee of Public Accounts, itself acknowledges that the methodology used to capture the data is suspect. A recent series of expensive TV adverts advised us that the DVLA do not have to look on the road or in garages but simply at computer screens in order to identify tax evaders. If this is the case then let them get on with it and fine all these defaulters. If it is not the case and the DVLA were completely wrong then it begs the question – are they wrong about the level of evasion? MAG makes no apologies for those who fail to tax vehicles and will happily work with the DVLA to enable them to make an accurate assessment of evasion rates. MAG recognises however that for all road users road tax has lost its credibility. When it was used to improve roads motorists could see the benefit. However, when it just disappears into the black hole of the treasury, people become sceptical and the whole system loses credibility. The whole system needs reviewing. Ends Notes 1. Download the committee report http://www.network.mag-uk.org/documents/080122%20Vehicl...Excise.pdf 2. For further information contact: David Short Tel: +44 (0) 1347 82221 Mobile: +44 (0) 77389 48080 Issued by Trevor Baird General Secretary (MAG UK) Tel: +44 (0)1788 570065 Fax: +44 (0)1788 570052

Update Reply
Matt @ 24/01/2008 14:08  

I read the same thing Matt and to be honest 40% seems a bit high!!!

Update Reply
Di @ 24/01/2008 14:26  

I think its a for-runner to the police stopping bikers for bugger all....if they spread this wholey dubious rumour first,it gives them yet another reason to hastle bikers for the summer?

Update Reply
actionman @ 24/01/2008 17:29  

What annoys me is that in this day and age you shouldn't even really need to display your tax disc I just renewed mine online and Big Brother knows that I'm insured and that the vehicle is taxed As I was writing the above it did occur that someone could ring my plate, but isn't that going a bit extreme ? Have to agree with AM, it does often seem that any excuse is good enough I'm sure I once heard a fantasy tale about certain stop and searches being illegal without good cause - maybe I dreamt I was in a different country - some sort of Utopia Ok - ramble over...

Update Reply
stueylewie @ 24/01/2008 17:57  

mate! British cops are pussycats compared to continental counterparts[not sure about Holland think they are all gay!]get a few fines on the spot an you soon learn!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 24/01/2008 18:09  

Didn't they include all the off road bike to make up the 40% i'll tell my 8 ear old to get his bike regisered and taxed right away TM I have never been stopped on continent they just wave me past. maybe they dont like Yank tractors

Update Reply
micksaway @ 17/03/2008 22:14  

Any tax evasion is right in this country as tax man dosn't tell millions that they can claim for clothing and celaning allowance glass housese and throwing stones comes to mind

Update Reply
micksaway @ 17/03/2008 22:32  

What's this about cleaning allowance?

Update Reply
Di @ 18/03/2008 13:46  

TM - they're all pathetic here. They just don't care. There was this guy one morning who was WASTED. he couldn't open his eyes. He was on the floor clothes and shoes either off or hanging off. They tried to wake him, couldn't do, so just put his clothes neatly next to him and walked off. We asked if they were gonna call an ambulance, to which they replied "Nah he's always like this, he'll come round in a while" haha, they just left him there by the side of a busy road in the city. Commuters were just walking past him, terrible.

Update Reply
Matt @ 18/03/2008 13:58  

i remember the franco gardia in spain wiv the matador hats yu didnt fk with them!!!we could do with them now!!bash a few hoodies wiv there batons an then shoot em!!an continental cops are ok till yu annoy them[or there broke!] then they can get nasty wiv thier 'on the spot fines!!' maybe the dutch cops are apathetic cos they dont get paid much think our cops are highly paid in comparison with the continent ,disapointed micksaway you joined the harley bashing club that thrives on this site!!! expected more from a fellow Weymouthian!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 18/03/2008 17:19  

stop moaning about the hayley bashing - its all in good spirits! Jesus you harley owner complain so much lol. Re the cops - 18k they get in England, which is only an average wage for a dangerous and stressful job. Cops (in the UK anyhow) get a lot of c*p from the scum that thrive in the UK, and they've gotta deal with it every hour of the day. I certainly wouldn't for 18k.

Update Reply
Matt @ 18/03/2008 19:01  

bash a few hoodies I wear hoodies

Update Reply
Sandi @ 18/03/2008 19:24  

Sorry TM Couldn't resist you should be used to it by now. I get a lot more stick now I got BMW. All these little Gangs should be rounded up shipped to Afganistan and see how they get on there. Give the Soldiers a break or a good laugh if nothing else

Update Reply
micksaway @ 18/03/2008 20:07  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email