MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

20 MPH to Become 'Default' Limit

20 MPH to Become 'Default' Limit - Forums [Biker Match] 20 MPH to Become 'Default' Limit - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

20 MPH to Become 'Default' Limit

20mph to become ‘default’ limit in residential areas <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p> The urban speed limit will be cut from 30mph to 20mph under plans announced by London Mayor Ken Livingstone. <o:p></o:p> Livingstone will encourage <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">London</st1:City></st1:place> boroughs to make 20mph the “default” limit in all residential areas, the mayor’s office announced. <o:p></o:p> The move is likely to embolden transport authorities considering a 20mph limit in other parts of the country. <o:p></o:p> The mayor’s office said casualties had fallen in existing 20mph zones and that there expansion would help reduce greenhouse gasses. <o:p></o:p> Livingstone said the new lower limits would “build on <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">London</st1:place></st1:City>’s success as the only major city in the world to have achieved a shift away from car use to public transport, cycling and walking”.<o:p></o:p> He said: “This trend will be supported by the encouragement of 20mph speed limits in all residential areas.”<o:p></o:p> Exemptions for main routes will be negotiated between TfL and individual boroughs. <o:p></o:p> The mayor’s office claimed: “Nine out of ten pedestrians will be killed if hit by a car travelling at 40mph, two out of ten at 30mph and one in forty at 20mph.”<o:p> </o:p> <o:p></o:p>

Update Reply
Sandi @ 24/01/2008 09:19  

and when do we get the guy to walk in front of us waving a red flag i ask

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/01/2008 10:30  

better get some stabilisers!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 24/01/2008 10:32  

better get me a harley for those slow speeds ..... oh hang on traffic dont move in london anyhow

Update Reply
firebladekid @ 24/01/2008 10:40  

Why do we need all these max limits? is it not common sense to ride/drive 20mph in built up areas... and 120 on the motorway lol? So glad i live next to the autobahns ;-)

Update Reply
Matt @ 24/01/2008 15:21  

When I stall from going too slow and fall off crushing some kid underneath me as I land on him/her then maybe they'll ban fat people from being on the roads for Health and Satefy reasons

Update Reply
stueylewie @ 24/01/2008 15:30  

I gotta say I would like to see lower limits on some of the side roads where I live 'cos they are really twisty and the kids in their "pimp my ride" shite use 'em as race tracks. Either that or let me shoot the next toe rag that nearly takes me out on the bends 'cos he doesn't know how to drive!!!!!

Update Reply
Di @ 24/01/2008 15:39  

Problem is the speed limits won't slow such toe rags down Shooting them is a much better idea

Update Reply
stueylewie @ 24/01/2008 15:51  

like it! snipers on rooftops pickin of the boy racers!wonderful!you seen a 70's film called targets?sniper on a gas storage tank shootin motorists ,boris karloff was innit lovely film!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 24/01/2008 18:21  

Yet another good reason to avoid the dump we call our capital city.

Old Kenny-boy doesn't like cars, mainly because he failed his driving test 9 times. Doesn't stop him owning a bloody great house in North London with a double garage though. I wonder if all he's got in there is a bicycle.

Update Reply
Daytona_man @ 25/01/2008 13:47  

The corrupt dictator will have a hard job enforcing a default 20mph speed restriction as it is not legislated for in the various Road Traffic Acts. It is therefore; so I am given to understand, not enforcable by the police or safety camera partnerships.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/02/2008 14:13  

Why do they always have to bring the green issue into it at 20 your just going to be in a lower gear more revs more gas. I agree with 20 limits around schools and some dangers areas but a blanket limit will just frustrate people into more road rage Dos anyone else need this soap box think Ive finished with it now

Update Reply
micksaway @ 06/02/2008 05:16  

I'll have a go on the soap box-I have a cunning plan.... All speedo's from all vehicles to be removed [seriously]-obeying an idiot dial is rediculous.Speed is relative to whats going on around and if nobody knew what speed they were travelling at they would naturally adjust to whats appropriate,what about lunatics i hear you say?-well they are going to crash whatever.They may not kill somebody at a camera site,just somewhere else.Theres a general air of unreality/hypocrisy with current traffic policy this isnt a good atmosphere for encouraging responsible driving/riding. There needs to be a radical change away from this speed kills obsession.Inattention is the killer not appropriate speed.Ive gone off thread here but enjoyed my rant!

Update Reply
iggypup @ 06/02/2008 07:03  

I agree Iggy. I enjoyed your rant lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 06/02/2008 08:08  

As Kwaks given me the thumbs up I'll have another blast. I would suggest knowing your speed is as useful as knowing your age-its a false measure and a false guide,ie you may act on a mythical yardstick on what you should be doing rather than whats natural and right for you.The orwellian powers that be want to insidiously disenpower individuals with there cameras,blanket speed limits and rediculous road furniture overkill.I feel if this trend doesnt stop then we are coming to the end of an era [freedom wise] and riding is going to be as much fun as scraping your nails down a black board.I hope it wont come to this. Rant over for this week. PS I hope this posting doesnt incite anyone to vandalize any speed cameras [particularly on a full moon]

Update Reply
iggypup @ 06/02/2008 10:02  

Speed Cameras ?????? Dont you mean Road Safety Cameras (government name) Or Government Piggy Banks (The rest of us Name)

Update Reply
micksaway @ 07/02/2008 22:44  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email