MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Twin Headlights

Twin Headlights - Forums [Biker Match] Twin Headlights - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Twin Headlights

Remember about twenty years ago when twin headlights were "banned by the EU" because a bike could be mistaken for a distant car? So now one lamp is dipped and the other main-beam. Does anyone know what the actual law is? I can't find any facts on the internet. The MOT guide suggests it would be legal to fix a bike so it has two fully functioning main/dip lights.

Update Reply
Eiron @ 08/08/2018 09:18  

I was told much the same about 7 years back when I put two extra relays in (holders are there) on my Tiger 955i and it's never failed a MOT yet.
Sorry, that's the best I can tell you.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 08/08/2018 09:30  

Hi Eiron
Have you asked Motorcycle Action Group (MAG) or local bike shops/Mot stations 🤔

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 08/08/2018 09:30  

Eiron, the zzr1400 has twin dip and twin main beams, all separate.

Update Reply
Double six @ 08/08/2018 09:59  

As long as the extra headlamp has the correct beam pattern and is wired correctly, dipped and main beam working correctly. It wont fail an mot, vfr800,s have run 2 headlamps for years.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/08/2018 13:26  

Tuono has twin lamps. No probelms.

I remeber the story. Andni seam to remeber back them it was a load of crap scare story some one in the EU

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/08/2018 19:37  

Bikes have been fitted with twin functioning lights for years, and still are.

There is a single headlight function on some bikes for daylight running...I think Triumph and Yamaha run singles instead of twins.
I find that very confusing...
But..back to your question...
Looking up EEC directive 92/93/EEC (amended by 2000/73/EC).....
...referred to dual front lights requiring them to be fitted symmetrically with the centre line of the bike, I believe.
It also allows for dual functioning headlamps.

Perhaps there was some confusion with the interpretation....

Also, research in 1985 in the UK proved that two lamps and lamps over 180mm diameter have greater influence than single or smaller lamps in improving visibility to other users.

MOT guidelines for bikes:-
http://www.motuk.com/bike/1-2.asp

Hope this helps :)

Update Reply
nickscafe @ 08/08/2018 23:57  

Its more likley than legislation that cost has the biggest influence on light design when it comes to both lights being lit.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/08/2018 15:11  

Here's a DfT document about AHO - "Automatic Headlamp On". https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/467289/motorcycle-retailers-rules-january-2016.pdf
That has a link to EU regulations on motorcycles. Directive 2009/67/EC (13 July 2009) says you can have one or two main/dip, or one dip and one main, or two dip and two main. That was superseded by Commission Directive 2013/60/EU (27 November 2013), which doesn't change much. The original directive is 93/92/EEC, not the other way round. And 2000/73/EC doesn't change it much. 93/92/EEC appears to allow twin headlights too. So the EU never banned them at all.

Update Reply
Eiron @ 09/08/2018 21:02  

Exactly :)

My link to MOT guidelines should also reassure you that twin lighting is also duly covered.

I chose my ZZR due to twin headlamps, and I've upgraded the bulbs several times. One of the best decisions I ever made. They turn night into day, with no issues at any MOTs.

Easy to blame the EU for banning stuff, I guess...

In fairness, they've done a half decent job of interpreting guidelines that were - you could say - enforced.

If you want to point the finger at any organisation for the confusing and ultimately - failure - of tougher legislation on bikes and riders to improve road safety...
...look to the World Bank.

Update Reply
nickscafe @ 11/08/2018 08:24  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email