MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

No more MOT tests!

No more MOT tests! - Forums [Biker Match] No more MOT tests! - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

No more MOT tests!

Happy to learn that there's no longer a requirement to get my bike MOT tested.

Vehicles over 40yrs old are now exempt: https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles

Now all I need to cough up for each year is insurance.

Update Reply
Red Barron @ 17/06/2018 10:06  

Yes they only do it as there is no way in hell a 40 year old bike could pass the current mot but a lot of folk don't realize that if the bike is not kept in roadworthy condition it can be impounded.

Update Reply
JP @ 17/06/2018 10:17  

This is a really stupid economic revision. It will save the government some cash & potentially allow unroadworthy vehicles on the road. I run a 1978 MG (so have an insight) and l think a six month test for vehicles over 40 would be more appropriate. Modern vehicle construction & build quality is really good whereas a 1970's car, built on a friday, with filament bulbs, glass fuses and poorly structured wiring is inherently unreliable. As for my 1977 DT Yamaha..the brakes never gave worked well..lol..😂

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/06/2018 22:40  

Does that mean custom honda cm125 first registered in 1984 is now mot exempt

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/06/2018 01:33  

Ktrev the problem is really simple they will never pass a rolling road brake test and the majority of testers have no clue how older vehicles work so can say if they meet a roadworthy state. So the problem has been passed on to police and DVSA vehicle inspectors. You can still take any car or bike to have it inspected if your not to good at maintenance. If in doubt contact classic car or motorcycle clubs they will have plenty of advice for the folk with less experience.

Update Reply
JP @ 18/06/2018 05:44  

MOT or not has no affect on safety. Neither does insurance - arguably it makes it worse
Only the driver and SPEED (mv2) has.

Update Reply
JoePilot @ 23/09/2018 11:01  

Thanks for that Red Barron. Sometimes I think I'm crazy keeping this old bike going, but it just keeps getting cheaper to run, no tax and now no MOT.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/10/2018 19:42  

When riding my old bike I want brakes and lights working, if they don’t I’m the one who suffers!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/10/2018 20:30  

Maybe they figure that anyone who can keep a forty or fifty year old bike on the road, knows what they are doing. I find that other motorists act differently towards me. Had some clutch(nightmare problems) in heavy rush hour traffic, but no one hassled me. Also yesterday just a fuse/ no lights or brake lights problem at dusk. Police followed me a few miles, but didn't hassle me.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/10/2018 23:11  

My bike is 40 next year and I will be glad to get rid of the MOT stress. I also wouldn't take it on a road if it wasn't safe, so it gets looked after pretty well.
Maybe I should throw a birthday party!

Update Reply
Fink @ 18/10/2018 08:10  

Yes give her a party with jelly and cake. Not forgetting the pie's

Update Reply
JP @ 18/10/2018 08:50  

Yes, lots of custard pies ?

Update Reply
Fink @ 19/10/2018 19:08  

They dont have any mot on the brilliant isle of man

Update Reply
hango @ 19/12/2019 10:33  

Iv'e often thought the way the isle of man is governed should be adopted by the British parliment. Last time l was on the island an individual who trespassed on the closed road circuit went straight to jail for four days and on release was banned from the island for life....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/12/2019 08:59  

All my bikes are now mot free, and although both my 1978 laverda jotas and my laverda 750sf with still out perferm brand new bikes in every way including reliability and still have Italian style in spades.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/12/2019 15:47  

I'm not sure I like what's being said here, I think all things used on public roads should reach a minimum mot standard. Leaving brakes aside there is no reason why steering and wheel bearings shouldn't comply with the mot standard and lights if fitted should be able to comply. As for brakes they should work efficiently, it's not hard to do a static test to a reasonable standard. I'm sure if your child was killed on the road you would not be happy if the police said it's ok because it's a 50 year old motorcycle and you can't expect the brake's to work well. I'm not having a go at owners of older bikes, I have old cars and bikes with the oldest being a 1925 AJS which I would not use on the road if the brake's did not work

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 28/12/2019 08:40  

Not such a bad idea ,I have a 22 year old Ninja 900, I had the front capilers overhauled for an MOT .It cost £90 labour only .Shortly after they seized on and I got a broken thumb . The work was done by an MOT tester .Another bike had the the rear disc deemed warped but it was badly put on by same mechaic and ithe wheel wobbled !!! but it passed . It took 120 psi to blow it on straight. I'm dreading sending both bikes through again ; its all n the eye of the tester. Maybe mechanics need to improve their service. Yours disillusioned

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/01/2020 16:04  

I hear what your saying Bill but if your are involved in an accident and they think there is a problem with the bike or car it will be seized and checked over by police vehicle inspectors and if it is unfit for the road you will be done. So if you are in a position to own a bike or car you have to keep it in road worthy condition. All decent mot stations will be happy to inspect your bike or car and give you a report as to its roadworthy condition

Update Reply
JP @ 01/01/2020 16:37  

I've several bikes that no longer require either mot or tax. Last time I had one of them mot'd I thought I would save myself some effort and asked they check it over before moting it. As soon as the mechanic asked where to plug his laptop in I realised my error. Took it elsewhere for the ticket and never been back since.
As I do all my own spannering and resto's I know my work on my old bikes is very much better than modern bike shops will do.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/01/2020 16:59  

I'm sure all of us can find a mot station that we trust and wouldn't take a bike out that we thought unsafe, but surely most of us have had a vehicle fail it's mot at some time, I know I have and if it hadn't been for the mot I would of been out on the road with it, I've also had friends with bikes that have defects on them who have died on them bikes but unfortunately it's not always them self's they kill and it could be our family so yes I think all vehicles should have a mot

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 01/01/2020 23:25  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email