MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Bike tools

Bike tools - Forums [Biker Match] Bike tools - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Bike tools

Hi everyone ,
I am trying to buy a good but not too expensive compression gauge for a motorbike , ideally one with a selection of attachments for different size spark plug threads , ( handy for other engines as well ). Been looking on line and the mind over heats with the vast selection available . Problem is , quantity , possibly not quality . No sooner have I found what appears to be a good product , I then read the reviews and I am hearing complaints about poor and inaccurate PSI readings . Not exactly encouraging . Where do you buy a good , reliable tool these days ? Any suggestions , help much appreciated. THANKS.
Stu69.

Update Reply
Stu69 @ 21/02/2018 21:32  

Find the local distributor for Snap On or any of the mobiles that call on the garages, ask your local garage for their number so you can catch them on their rounds(they may have to order one in for you) good luck 👍

Update Reply
555byker @ 21/02/2018 21:45  

What he said ^^^ quality counts for stuff like that

Update Reply
feistygirl @ 21/02/2018 22:22  

Machine mart usually have a good selection to chose from.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/02/2018 22:47  

Depends by what you deem expensive. Snap-on run in at around £250 so unless you are a professional, that seems a lot of money for an occassional use item (albeit potentially saving an engine strip). You might condiser hiring one, particularly if you can find a place that hire Snap-on equipment. There are a few places out there, so might be worth a try. My main concern would be with the calibration of the kit for accuracy/repeatability.
Good luck and whatever you do, I think a few of us would be interested to know how you got on.

Update Reply
NotPhilMitchell @ 21/02/2018 22:59  

Thanks everyone. Snap on may be a bit out of my price range but know they are very good . Good advice about going to the garages , was thinking of asking one or two mechanics . Machine Mart sell a Clarke compression gauge. It looks ok but was not sure about buying. Did read a review on line suggesting the following brands as being the top 5.
OTC
Innova
8 mile lake
Lisle
Mityvac

When I read customer reviews on the OTC they seem to be saying that the quality has deteriated in recent years.
Have also heard of Motion Pro which I believe are either American or Australian but shipping costs really tip the price right over !
It amazes me how different people can have such conflicting opinions for a product that basically should perform a simple task and do it accurately . Some people are stating PSI readings as much as 50 - 60 below readings from another tool . It's difficult to know who or what to believe ! The market is also flooded with too many brands at very cheap prices that basically all look the same with just a different sticker on. Probably all made in China . But what isn't these days ?Now even Dewalt and Milwalki , ( sorry about spelling ) , are made in the Far East.
I just want quality , preferably British , American or German made at an affordable price . Something that is going to last , I have faith in and feel as though I want to treasure for many years . You know the kind of thing , in those bygone days when tools were made to last , something to respect and years latter pass down to your grandchildren . Instead of this crappy throw away age with everything churned out for bloody ebay from and made in sodding China !

Update Reply
Stu69 @ 21/02/2018 23:35  

Only an idea then, but what about looking at a relatively cheap kit with adapters, then buy a decent quality pressure gauge (300psi+ ? )and using that one with the adapters? Might need an adapter for the adapters though! :-) Just need to check the "quality gauge" country of origin. I hate to say this but there are actually some very good high-quality products coming out of China, aside from all of the cheap junk. Take, for instance, Seagull tourbillon watches.

Update Reply
NotPhilMitchell @ 21/02/2018 23:51  

Halfords professional tools are guaranteed like snap-on and will be replaced free of charge if they break. Halfords do a tester for just under 40 quid, I would imagine that if it doesn't perform to expectations they will replace or refund.
Sealey also do a tester for under 30 quid. As said above, for a tool that will only be used perhaps once a year, unless you are setting up a workshop to do other riders machines, why go to all the expense? Alternatively, a local bike shop might be willing to do a compression test for you for a nominal fee.

Update Reply
Double six @ 22/02/2018 08:13  

Thanks Guys ,
Have seen the Sealey one and know that Halfords are very fair . I am probably just fussing too much ! I actually don't need the tool right now , it's just that I have become really interested in bike mechanics and am gradually building up a collection of tools which I hope will last for some time . I rediscovered an old generator in the shed recently which just would not run so my project was to restore it and get it up and running. Drained and cleaned the tank , dismantled the carb and cleaned the jets , checked for spark - none , so new plug , oil and air filter. Cleaned and degreased everything . New paint job on the tank and frame . Really enjoyed myself ! Fresh new fuel , pulled the starter - and she runs nicely . Quite chuffed with my minor mechanical efforts.
Bottom line is , I am hooked ! I would buy a compression gauge just for the fun of it and find it all a real education . When money allows me to , plan to get a small workshop / garage to keep tools , restore bikes and somewhere of course to safely store my dream bike ! ( which , of course I don't have right now , but will do to be sure ! )
ALL THE BEST TO ALL OF YOU !
Write more blogs about engines , tools , your projects and stuff - it's good to talk !

Stuart.

Update Reply
Stu69 @ 22/02/2018 20:49  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email