MENU CONTACT 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Jonathan Rea nominated for SPOTY

Jonathan Rea nominated for SPOTY - Forums [Biker Match] Jonathan Rea nominated for SPOTY - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Jonathan Rea nominated for SPOTY

It is Sports Personality of the Year Awards this Sunday, the 17th December.

Great to have a motorcyclist on the nominees again, not been one since 2-time World Superbike Champion, James Toseland was nominated in 2007. Toseland, who came fourth in SPOTY 2007 says of Rea: "Jonny Rea won as many races this year as I did in my whole career. It's an incredible feat when you look at the stats. Racing at 200 mph you need a level of focus to not make a mistake."

Rea is the first rider to clinch three successive World Superbike titles triumphing with 5 of the season's 26 races remaining. Rea set a new record for most points scored in a single season.

The Northern Irishman's 16 wins in 2017 took his career tally to 54, just 5 behind the all-time record held by 4 time champion, Carl Fogarty.

Rea's omission from the 2016 shortlist was hit by a public backlash and this year an online petition started by Carole Nash gathered over 10,000 signatures demanding the Northern Ireland rider be included this year.

The twelve nominees are:-
Elise Christie - speed skating
Mo Farah - athletics
Chris Froome - cycling
Lewis Hamilton - Formula 1
Anthony Joshua - boxing
Harry Kane - football
Johanna Konta - tennis
Jonnie Peacock -para-athletics
Adam Peaty - swimming
Jonathan Rea - motorcycling
Anya Shrubsole - cricket
Biana Walkden - taekwondo

Jonathan Rea is fourth favourite at 20/1 with Mo Farrah close behind at 22/1.
Anthony Joshua is odds on at 2/9 and Lewis Hamilton 6/1 with Chris Froome 10/1

You can vote for Rea on 17th December by phone or online. Online votes will be limited to one per account on the BBC website. The history of past winners for SPOTY seem to indicate that the nominee needs to surpass well over 125,000 votes.

I know who is getting my vote.

Catkins @ 13/12/2017 19:17  

Well I ain't voting for hamilton!
rowanblossom @ 15/12/2017 18:41  

Wow..... good result. Rea didn't win but he came second to Mo Farrah. Would have been great if he had won, but yay, second place. :-)))
Catkins @ 17/12/2017 21:15  

Runner up to Sir Mo, great result!
glug @ 17/12/2017 21:16  

Johnny is the winner in my eyes, Mo who?
ElizaDee @ 17/12/2017 21:47  

Great result. An amazin rider. RESPECT!!!
Deleted Member @ 18/12/2017 08:49  

Why do they always pick somebody who,s not there to pick up the prize, shambolic and an insult to the viewers and all those that turned up at the event.
yarg @ 18/12/2017 09:33  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email