MENU CONTACT 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

996 clutch

996 clutch - Forums [Biker Match] 996 clutch - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

996 clutch

Hi new to the site, a quick one anyone had any experiences with their clutch parting company with their Ducati 996? couldnt believe it when it happened to me , lucky i didnt lose a single part, i must say though its the first time i have been for a ride and come home with my clutch in a carrier bag LOL.
herric @ 21/11/2017 16:03  

Sounds like the centre nut came undone, did the whole basket come off or just the pressure plate and the 6 springs
Andrew Phillips @ 21/11/2017 19:10  

Hi Andy oh the centre nut definitely came undone, the whole basket came undone as one which would suggest i hadn't torqued it up properly, however after a further investigation on my part, a came across something what never gets mentioned when working on the clutch,behind the centre nut which holds the basket on there is a washer, first glance and it just looks like any other washer, after looking into the design of the washer, it seems to be known in the engineering world as a bell ville washer, inappetance you would perhaps describe its shape, as saucer shaped from the side profile, of course the description i use isn't the technical term , LOL.point that i'm making ,it seems to play a significant part as regard to keeping the clutch in place where it should be, not to mention some thread lock this time, at the moment i have not done any significant mileage on the bike since the clutch decided it had other ideas on what it wanted to do LOL , i need to build my confidence back up in the bike, without having to think will i be coming home with the bike in the back of a van again,
i still have an issue with the clutch as i said its had a full clutch replacement that means everything, but for the love of god , i cant get the bike to go into neutral , other than when the bike is switched off , :(
herric @ 07/12/2017 17:16  

Belleville washers were an accounting solution to bent tab washers. They are fantastic for generating pre-load, but if you don't put enough pre-load on they're useless, and the same if you put too much pre-load on - you can exceed permissle stress and get relaxation.
As a locking device I've *never* liked them (I'm an engineering designer), too many variables can occur to change their characteristics. A bent tab washer is far more secure - but that doesn't look sexy on a Ducati does it?:)
But it will work better.
Panuno @ 07/12/2017 17:51  

Ducati John in Leeds is THE man for any Ducati work.
ducat @ 08/12/2017 14:21  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email