MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

VOTE: Logging profile views

VOTE: Logging profile views - Forums [Biker Match] VOTE: Logging profile views - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

VOTE: Logging profile views

For many years now it's been possible to either enable or disable logging of profiles that you view

If you disable it then others cannot see you viewed them, but you also cannot see yourself who you've viewed.

This is something BMers previously wanted and asked me to implement.

My understanding is that not everyone is happy with it though. So I'm opening this forum topic for you all to discuss.

Remember: Profiles are public (except for your photos and events). So even if I remove the option to disable logging, people can always just logout of the website and still search and view profiles.

Update Reply
Matt @ 07/11/2017 19:56  

It seems to me a pointless exercise if just by logging out of the site you achieve the same result. Might as well leave it as is and save yourself the aggro.

Update Reply
Double six @ 07/11/2017 20:12  

I'm not bothered for logging, if folk check ya profile n want to chat that's fine, if they don't that's fine too.

I don't have my own views logged cos tbh I often click on profiles by accident whilst scrolling through, who is 'online'.

I don't see the need, but that's my personal view. I would, however, like the option to disable it if at all possible 😀

Update Reply
Lindsay @ 07/11/2017 21:54  

I didn't even know it could do that:)

But I can understand that some people may want to be a little more discrete when they're curious, particularly with the usual imbalance of the sexes.

For me, to be honest, it's nice to see who has popped in to have a look, and for me at least it's started a couple of chats both ways.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/11/2017 09:08  

Keep the logging. If you disable it, I suspect you would find a drop off in the retention of new members.

Logging profile views shows an easily visible activity on the site (to everyone, but particularly useful to new members)... Not everyone sends a nod or a message first time they take a look at your profile. Gives you a chance to look back at them... & maybe you'll be the first to break the ice.

It's not much of a social network if we're all hiding from each other by disabling logging and pretending we're not looking ;)

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 09/11/2017 00:50  

I was not comfortable when I found out that people could look through my profile without being logged. Mainly because I was not aware this was possible, therefore I presumed I knew who and how often people were viewing it.
I would rather people were logged all the time. Obviously there would be a few exceptions. I know you can logout and view, but if I remember rightly, Matt said it advises you to join after a few views so it would be a frustrating way to secretly view.
I think that at least if it remains, all paid up members need to be made aware of this option.
Just my view 😊

Update Reply
Lynne @ 09/11/2017 15:07  

To be honest it is neither here nor there to me.

I would say unless you have been inundated with folk complaining, leave it as it is

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 09/11/2017 16:49  

It's not so much about logging or not, Wannabe, it's more about the ability to individually disable it.

I've had one complaint, but that's possibly because not everyone knows it can be individually disabled.

When you disable it though you are making the choice, and you lose the benefit of having your own history to go back to. Swings and roundabouts.

I can very, very easily disable the individual option to log views or not, so then everyone would have every log viewed (except for moderators whose views are always hidden to the person being viewed).

Just need to gauge a bit what most of you want. Either way I'm not bothered myself, sitting on the fence with this one

Update Reply
Matt @ 09/11/2017 20:00  

Ah ok cool. Not fussed either way then :D

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 09/11/2017 20:16  

Little update... I've now made it impossible (or very difficult and annoying) for anyone to view more than 10 pages on BM without logging in. This will hopefully force people to register also rather than just browsing anonymously.

Sorry for all the errors tonight, I was editing the code live and it was a little more complex than I planned

Update Reply
Matt @ 09/11/2017 22:59  

I think my thumbs need to lose weight... Nearly every time I try to click on a forum thread, I click on the OP's ID instead :D

Hashtag notstalkingyoumatthonest

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 09/11/2017 23:52  

Correction: last poster, not OP :)

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 09/11/2017 23:53  

Stalk away! :-D

Update Reply
Matt @ 10/11/2017 08:01  

Well done Matt good compromise.

Update Reply
JulianK @ 10/11/2017 14:50  

Thanks Julian, and welcome to the site!

Update Reply
Matt @ 10/11/2017 15:58  

People look at a profile for millions of reasons. Not every one is a Stalker. Maybe they like your smile(bonus) maybe you have a cool bike pic, maybe there in a bike gig or bash pic they like or there in.What ever you put the pic's up to be seen why should it worry you?

If its logged or not dosnt really worry me. But my original argument does stand and that is the ability to read a profile if your not logged in as a member and therefore a traceable person.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/11/2017 01:13  

I'm completely with Bill on this. People open your profile for many reasons. No need to panic folks.

Also, it's no longer possible to browse the site without logging in. After 10 views of any page (not just profiles) you're forced to login. Try it and see

Update Reply
Matt @ 11/11/2017 11:53  

TBH I'm not too fussed about who sees that I've looked at them, but at the same time I do like to see who's looked at me.
I'm a bit puzzled over a related matter, though. I can see on the new site that one interesting person has looked at me, but on the old site that person is missing. Yet someone else has looked at me at the same time and appears on both the old and new versions of BikerMatch. How very peculiar!

Update Reply
Wills @ 14/11/2017 18:39  

Don't look at me!

:-D I've no idea, sorry. Totally rebuilt the queries for the new site. Filters out staff who viewed you and those without a profile enable or with their account disabled.

Update Reply
Matt @ 14/11/2017 21:34  

@ Catkins - yay! So nice to know you're not alone in this fat-thumbed world ;)

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 15/11/2017 01:58  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email