MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

New bike recommendations?

New bike recommendations? - Forums [Biker Match] New bike recommendations? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

New bike recommendations?

SO, I've only recently done my CBT, bought myself a Varadero 125, and have been using that to commute to work everyday from Croydon to Fulham (so basically filtering 80% of the time through London traffic).

I'm hoping to book my DAS in the next month or so, but fingers crossed, once I've passed, I'd like to upgrade pretty soon. The baby Vara is perfect for the commute, good mpg, small enough to squeeze through, but big enough for a 6ft 4in guy to not look like a bear on a circus bike.

I'm also hoping to use the bike to go on some middle/long distance trips in the near future, so want something I can load up with to tour with etc, but I still need it to commute every day for work.

Have been looking at VFR800, Triumph Sprint GT, Tiger XR, or CB500x, or the Crossrunner.

Anyone got any other suggesctions? Or any horror stories about any of the above? Any help welcome!

Update Reply
mr christian @ 11/04/2016 16:53  

My first bike was a CBR600. It forgave me all my early sins(not that I don't make any now) but quite a few people recommended one of those.

I found it very easy to handle, reliable, and plenty quick enough for me.

I now have a VFR800 which I love, but like anyone else, I need to get out more.

Update Reply
VFR800AJ @ 11/04/2016 17:31  

Hi Mate

The best thing to do is get your test out of the way and then worry about what bike to get after.

You have come up with a good cross selection of bikes.

The Sprint is a great long distance touring but for your short commute in traffic, you may find it heavy and juicy in traffic and when to the other end of the list the CB500x, a lovely little bike for commuting, nice and light but with your height it might be a problem with lack of leg room and not to good on distance runs.

But like I said at the start get you test out of the and get yourself a few tests rides and good luck with your tests.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 11/04/2016 17:56  

I have a YBR125ED, which a great little bike for what I want, and have been told that the MT-07 is like it's bigger brother.

Update Reply
Morseman @ 11/04/2016 18:30  

You're just a bit shorter than me. I reckon the Sprint will feel pretty cramped, also the more 'head down, arse up' riding position really isn't so good for filtering.

The Crossrunner and Crosstourer are nice bikes, or why not move up to the big Varadero? All very competent bikes, the Vara and the Crosstourer will not only handle the commuting, they'll also carry you effortlessly across continents. In far more comfort than the more sports oriented bikes can....

But yeah, get through your test, then take your time and get lots of test rides

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/04/2016 18:49  

The V storm 1000 is a good bike for peeps with long legs my lad has one and they come with extras is panniers

Update Reply
shelleygirl @ 11/04/2016 19:11  

VFR800AJ: Hi fella, thanks for the info. Sounds good, my sister mentioned your bike too. (she rides a 77 Z650 - even though she's younger than me). Didn't realise when I posted that the Crossrunner is a VFR800 with a different frame. Will look at both.

Ragnar: Love the username, reminds me of Raganrok!! Good point, best pass first, and thanks for the tips on the Sprint and CB500. Awkard to want the best of both worlds!!

Morse/Mike/Shelley: Defintely feeling the more head up, arse down position, so will take that on board, and forgot about the V-Strom. Added to the list! Think the MT-07 will have my head bobbling like a noddy-dog unless I mod the crap out of it with screens etc, but won't rule it out.

:D:D:D

Update Reply
mr christian @ 11/04/2016 20:36  

When you pass your test, why not get two bikes. One for city commute, which doesn't need to be of high power. And the other for touring.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 16/04/2016 08:54  

I'd love to have the money and space to do that!

Update Reply
mr christian @ 18/04/2016 20:32  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email