MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Am considering a long

Am considering a long - Forums [Biker Match] Am considering a long - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Am considering a long

Hi am considering a pretty long ride London to Bulgaria best part of 1800 miles each way obviously crossing a number of countries, using most likely a Pan European apart from the obvious and making sure the bike is road worthy any other info tips would be welcome. plan to travel as light as possible, but camping mostly. time is not an issue as probably looking to spend most if not all the summer doing it back end of September time. Leaving within a couple of weeks. Thanks

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/03/2016 09:22  

'Travelling as light as possible' and 'camping mostly', don't fit in the same sentence. I'd go for small B&Bs rather than lugging a huge amount of camping gear around easier, and much more comfy! The further east you go, the cheaper it will be. Try and check out the Transfaragasan in Romania - a great road to ride. The road surfaces very wildly in that area, and you'll need to watch yourself, especially on a Pan. Expect animals wandering about in the road etc.
Some of the higher routes in Europe will currently be under a heall of a lot of snow, so you'll have to stay quite low in terms of altitude.

It does sound like a memorable trip though - enjoy and good luck!

Update Reply
Ian141 @ 18/03/2016 13:24  

Plenty of sandwiches and a big flask lol. Good travel/Health Insurance

Update Reply
JP @ 18/03/2016 14:07  

Cheers Ian

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/03/2016 08:35  

I can happily keep all of my camping equipment including tent in one 42 litre pannier with the exception of my sleeping bag which goes in the top box. The rest of the top box space is for purchases that day such as food etc.

Other pannier holds clothes, laptop etc. Tools in a tool tube mounted between pannier and bike. You do not need loads of kit to camp comfortably for extended periods, although I agree with Ian to an extent and do treat myself to a nice hotel every few days and make use of the facilities.

Most of the Alpine passes won't be open yet as already mentioned so you will have to plan accordingly.

Do make sure your travel insurance covers you properly as a lot say they do but then limit you to 125cc machines or something

The biggest tip for such a trip is don't worry, just do it. It will work out and you will have a fantastic time !!

Update Reply
Diesel Pete @ 21/03/2016 08:58  

nice one Pete cheers

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/03/2016 13:51  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email