MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

New European rules for motorcycle gear? Th

New European rules for motorcycle gear? Th - Forums [Biker Match] New European rules for motorcycle gear? Th - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

New European rules for motorcycle gear? Th

Just got this from FEMA

The European Parliament decided this week that motorcycle gear is protective clothing that will have to meet European standards.Until now only protective (motorcycle) gloves, boots and impact protectors were seen as protective gear and had to meet certain standards. Today the European parliament decided to include all motorcycle gear in the new protective personal equipment (PPE) regulation.This means, that in a few years’ time all motorcycle gear that is sold in Europe has to meet the same safety standards. They will have to provide a minimum amount of protection against abrasion and impact.Just like with boots and gloves now, there must be a label inside the gear that confirms that the gear meets the European standards and what level of protection is provided. Also information about maintenance, storage and use must be given to the buyer.The exact standards and when all motorcycle gear in the shops must meet them are not known yet. It might even take some years. FEMA will inform the riders of all new developments.This new regulation does not mean that riders are obliged to wear only approved clothing. This regulation is about selling approved protective clothing and not about wearing it. As far as we know the European Commission has no plans to make the wear of approved motorcycle gear mandatory.FEMA’s General Secretary Dolf Willigers commented: “When all motorcycle gear meets the standard you know what amount of protection you can expect. This is consumer protection we don’t have now. Of course the new standards will have to meet the needs of the riders, but with the information we have now I have all confidence that this will be the case. As long as the European authorities will not use these standards to force riders to wear only approved motorcycle gear, and we will see to it that this will not happen, standardization of motorcycle gear is a good thing for riders.”Helmets and visors are outside the scope of this regulation: they are covered by UN ECE Regulation no. 22.Note to the editors:FEMAThe European Federation of Motorcyclists’ Associations (FEMA), represents riders’ rights organisations from the whole of Europe in the European institutions and the United Nations to have their voice heard in an early stage in the legislative processes concerning motorcycling. More information on www.fema-online.euPress contactFor further information or to receive future FEMAs news and press releases please contact the secretariat on telephone: +32 (0)2 736 90 47 or by email: info fema-online.eu.Mr. Dolf Willigers can be reached directly by email d.willigers fema-online.eu or by mobile phone +31 (0) 613269211.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 23/01/2016 14:33  

Seems harmless and to our gain as long as it's never compulsory to wear approved gear, I'm happy with that

Update Reply
ExupRichR1 @ 23/01/2016 16:26  

When I started riding you could ride without a helmet. Sooner or later clothing you have to use will become regulated this is just the first step. Unless we vote to get out of the EU that is!!!!

Update Reply
bugsbunny @ 23/01/2016 19:18  

I think life would be alot easy if we got out of the EU

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 25/01/2016 15:55  

This isn't just another way of putting prices up is it. Oh no sorry its for our safety!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/01/2016 19:45  

Leaving the EU wont make any difference.

Do you not think we have any bureaucrats that could also be as moronic as the european ones and probably make it compulsary to wear on your bike. Be carefull what you wish for

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 25/01/2016 20:03  

Yep plenty of our very own home grown do-gooders who think we need protecting from ourselves , they'd have us lit up like a Christmas tree if they could , personally wouldn't ride without gear on but bloody well want the right to

Update Reply
ExupRichR1 @ 25/01/2016 20:39  

Personally, if it means all kit is of a quality standard, and adds that bit more safety then good.

I don't even care if I do look like a florescent budgie!

All I can judge on is that the quality of kit was an important factor in keeping my mate from even more serious injuries caused when a courier van driver pulled a uturn in front of her at speed. Her injuries were extremely serious, but the police accident investigator has said that her kit helped considerably.

Her experience kept her alive.....her kit protected her body and skin.

Therefore personal responsibility is if you ride round with inferior substandard kit don't bitch if it doesn't protect you.

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 26/01/2016 17:59  

It sounds like another step away from the freedom of choice .If all kit is standardised then its easier to make it compulsory

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/01/2016 22:07  

Freedom of choice by all means.

But if you are buying riding gear then it would be good to know it had a chance of holding together. if its never been tested then you literally take your life in your hands.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 28/01/2016 17:33  

WOT blues biker said ... offen at shows you see a stall set up selling jackets for a knock down price £29.99 ..its that price for a reason , cuz its no good .. so if ppl are aware of minimal standards it will drive these sub standard goods out the market place .. ... its a win win situation

Update Reply
buzz_sp1 @ 28/01/2016 21:47  

Cant really say this is a bad thing but I am worried that this is just the thin end of the wedge as we have seen before. I think it will start with Gloves and Boots then we will get due to the saving of injures it has been decided that all other PPE must be worn at all times when riding a bike.

Update Reply
JP @ 01/02/2016 06:33  

This will not stop the counterfeiters selling you substandard crap they are criminals and that's their job.

Update Reply
bugsbunny @ 02/02/2016 18:51  

Everything these days is faked. some of it made in the same factories in china as the originals.
All they're doing is setting a minimum standard for clothing that is sold as protective. at the moment no one is being forced to wear it and may never be forced to wear it.
Will it keep me awake at night? No. Unless i've still got it on :-)

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 02/02/2016 20:06  

Maybe we should ask for our European colleagues, the car drivers , to be educated more about bikes- especially the Netherlands. They are terrible for pulling out in front of bikes and cars when just about to be overtaken. I think we should send them some of the good old Brit 'Think bike, Think biker' stickers!

Update Reply
Magnum58 @ 02/02/2016 20:39  

Haven't read it for ages but allways noted the Ride magazine products tests. The difference between the good bad & ugly is the difference between broken bones / loss of skin or walking away. Talking brand names with similar price tags quite often !!!! Heavy industry PPE stuff is labeled & substandard protection is not tolerated for obvious reasons so I'm all for some way of telling if my bike PPE will hold me together if I ever go tarmac surfing !!

Update Reply
Scarecrow @ 25/09/2016 16:49  

Just my 2p..
EU beurocrats(sp) have dictated motorcycle regs for years, and the UK has been forced to comply. Yes, there are still lots of money-grabbing wannabee-name-makers amongst our politicians, but on the whole they're arguments can be quashed by common sense (often backed by industry).
Quality standards on protective gear is already in place, but not updated or policed very well. If anything is advertised as 'motorcycle safety wear'/whatever then it Should be fit for the purpose, with crash or abrasive figures to back it up, like the UK armour manufacturer Knox (the 'CE' standard is pants, btw).
Reflective gear helps riders' visibility, more so at night, which is why lots of night-riders (gawd) already wear it, through Choice. We don't need a blanket law forcing 'everyone' to wear whatever is deemed 'suitable' whenever we get on a bike.
Bring more bike-awareness into the car driving test. And, vulnerability-awareness into the bike test, because it's getting worse out there.
Rant over.

Update Reply
Junction47 @ 25/09/2016 18:33  

its about time there was some official standard for bike gear.

theres far to much crap out there being sold as motorcycle clothing that isnt fit to be worn in a play ground let alone used to protect a human being at 70mph. and far to many poorly educated or stupid riders buying it  because its cheap.

the sooner we know its safe by looking at a  label the better. yes there will always be counterfit goods out there but if you by that new pair motorcycle gloves or helmet at a market stall for £25 instead of a reputable outlet displaying the correct labling then you deserve all you get. 

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/10/2016 22:30  

a couple of nights ago I watched a Learner rider go up the inside of a row of cars (I was filtering down the middle of the two lanes, and was obviously not going fast enough!!!!!), near a very busy junction. I have to give credit where credit is due, the van driver managed not to take the fool out as he turned left (van indicator was on), but only just. Was the driver to blame? Absolutely not, use of the van's mirrors saved that learner. What was the learner wearing? Nothing that would have protected him that well as I noticed it wasn't particularly high quality, well made or looked after when I pulled up next to him at the next lights. (as an aside I also told him he was a ******* eejit after he moaned about the van driver).

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 14/10/2016 14:11  

(Sorry wouldn't let me post as one post) Yes, a lot of drivers are oblivious to other road users, but they are not all to blame, some of that stays firmly at the door of riders who don't take responsibility for the way they ride. Ride like an idiot, die like one (sorry blunt I know) So I'm sticking with my original post. You pay crap you get crap and don't bitch about it if it doesn't protect you. Good quality kit protects you, if its regulated then all the better. Not suggesting we all wear the same thing, but at least wear certified protective stuff. Arguing that its your choice to wear cheap, badly made gear just means I think you are stupid.

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 14/10/2016 14:11  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email