MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Any Idea?

Any Idea?  - Forums [Biker Match] Any Idea?  - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Any Idea?

I gave up smoking 5 days ago and was wondering does anyone know how long it takes for the taste buds to calm down? Everything tastes so grotty to me and my tongue is sore from eating mints. I've never heard anyone else say that everything tasted odd when they gave up smoking

Update Reply
Sandi @ 25/10/2007 19:41  

the same happened to me when i stopped the last time ..... the food i liked when smoked i hated taste of , it took 2-3 weeks for me taste buds to settle .... hope this helps WELL DONE YOU , keep it up , dont do like me & start again

Update Reply
nina @ 26/10/2007 04:03  

Thanks Nina, yes it helps. I originally posted my question in Dulali's topic entitled 'I need help with my narky knickers' but I don't think folk realised. I won't be starting smoking again as I was forced to give up cos I can't afford to. I didn't have the money to buy tobacco so I had to do without and here I am 6 days later wishing I'd done it years ago. I've wanted to give up smoking, for a long time, but never had the will power. Once I accepted that I can't afford to buy any more then I didn't have a choice and will power wasn't the big issue it could have been. The first time I gave up smoking was over 25 yrs ago just for 5 weeks and I had the most awful time in the first 2 weeks, twitchy legs and irritability, but this time I've not had any withdrawal symptoms which I think is odd. I keep expecting to wake up one morning with a bad case of withdrawal symptoms. I'm still getting the 'oo I could murder a drag' but not as often as I thought I would; especially as I smoked about 30 a day. I certainly hope my taste buds settle down cos today I had some cottage cheese and it tasted like it was covered in VINEGAR *barf*

Update Reply
Sandi @ 26/10/2007 11:51  

my hat comes off to you kwak you have given me something to think about stopping again ... it has become a very expensive habit

Update Reply
nina @ 26/10/2007 12:38  

I gave up ten years ago and i could still murder one. I can smell a fag a mile away.It's willpower kwak just willpower.your tast buds will come back then you will put weight on. well done keep it up i know you can do it.

Update Reply
happy jack @ 26/10/2007 16:25  

Well done kwak! I managed to stop about eight years ago, so I can't remember how long it took until my taste buds came back, but when they did, it was with a vengeance :) That time I didn't really have any withdrawal pains after a couple of days either. I'd be inclined to take it as a good omen that this was the right time for you to stop, and just relax, it does get easier. The first time down the pub's a bit twitchy though! I share my friends description that I'm not so much a non-smoker, but I'm a smoker that hasn't smoked for a few years. Even now there's one occasion when I still think about having a fag, and no, it's not the one you're thinking of ;) Hang in there and PM me if you need any encouragement X

Update Reply
abctrev @ 26/10/2007 16:32  

Nina, good luck with stopping, when the time comes. Thanks Jack. I already had an excellent sense of smell, before I quit smoking, probably cos I'm hard of hearing but my sense of smell is WORSE now...so much stronger. I don't need willpower, like I said it was a case of I had NO CHOICE. No dosh so even if I want to smoke I can't. I don't think I will put weight on, even when my taste buds settle down, as I'm not eating more than I do and I won't eat more than I do. If I do I'll just have to buy FATTER tyres for the bike lol Thanks Trev. Lol I've already had my twitchy moment at the pub and that was when I smoked and had to keep going outside for a fag. I felt like a right idiot, like I was a naughty school kid and had to go stand outside. Not to mention feeling guilty for leaving the person I was with on their own in the pub while I was outside. Quite embarrassing, talk about feeling like a leper. At least now when I cough I won't get the usual 'you should give up the fags' Thanks for your support and encouragement everyone.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 26/10/2007 19:45  

take m hat off to u kwak its soooooooooo hard to STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update Reply
RC @ 27/10/2007 11:29  

Thank you R C I used to think it was difficult too but that's probably cos I wasn't ready to stop smoking. If circumstances hadn't forced my hand I'd probably still be smoking - even tho I didn't want to. It's easy to give up if the incentive is strong enough, or the pocket empty enough lol. I say incentive cos I don't have any will power at all. If I relied on willpower to stop smoking I'd never have quit. When it 'feels right' for you then it will be easy for you to stop too. Unfortunately for me I'm not saving any money by not smoking cos I aint got the money to carry on smoking. If I'd given up when I could afford to buy em then I would be saving some money lol. Irony eh? aint it ironic?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 27/10/2007 20:16  

yep sods law in it kwak....well i want to stop but i cant diet n stop smokin at the same time!!!!!!!!!!! so will do the diet first, and its goin very well to well chuffed with myself as im doin myself not goin to slimmin club..theres a new RC on the way woohooo

Update Reply
RC @ 27/10/2007 20:42  

WELL DONE RC you go for it .... will the new RC be my mate please too lmao

Update Reply
nina @ 28/10/2007 05:40  

ty nina.... cause the new RC will be ur mate

Update Reply
RC @ 28/10/2007 07:03  

well the diet is payin off lost 10lbs so far thats in 2 weeks! wooooooooohooooooooooooooooooo im on a roll yyeehhaaaaa

Update Reply
RC @ 28/10/2007 13:44  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email