MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle Events & Rides Out

Normandy Battlefields Tour 2016 info

Normandy Battlefields Tour 2016  info (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Normandy Battlefields Tour 2016  info (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle Events & Rides Out /

Normandy Battlefields Tour 2016 info

That would be good thanks. When work have stopped effin my shifts around, should have a better idea of dates for next year.

Update Reply
VFR800AJ @ 08/10/2015 23:17  

I.ve been looking at biker friendly places to stay.
Normandy beach B&B,www.nomandybeach.co uk
LA Tringale.www normandyvacations.com.
LA Gouderie Manor house.www.ddayangoville.com.
This is just a couple i looked at.Some other sites might be worth looking at.bikerclubfrance.com. dinanbandb.com.
bedsforbikers.com. Hope this helps.

Update Reply
GL Blue @ 09/10/2015 11:50  

The only problem with the euro tunnel as i see it is when you get off the train there's about a 500 or so miles ride to caen.For a few quid extra it seems better to get a ferry from portsmouth.Not heard back from euro tunnel yet on group prices.

Update Reply
GL Blue @ 11/10/2015 10:29  

Just heard back from euro tunnel the price has gone up to £76.00 return plus they don't seem to do group bookings.No help at all, better of with ferry from portsmouth.

Update Reply
GL Blue @ 12/10/2015 11:59  

I was having a look last night, but so many places that could be visited.

has anyone done this before ??????????/

Update Reply
VFR800AJ @ 12/10/2015 17:13  

Send vlad a message Im sure he has done this

Update Reply
JP @ 12/10/2015 18:01  

500 miles from Calais to Caen. ! Which way you going it was only 200 miles last time I did it.

Update Reply
Vladamir @ 12/10/2015 18:01  

Sorry made a booboo looked at the wrong thing it's 340 miles according to the maps i have of france on the distance charts.

Update Reply
GL Blue @ 13/10/2015 10:51  

I see what you mean VFR it seems like every town has a museum plus there's so many other places to visit.

Update Reply
GL Blue @ 13/10/2015 10:54  

There is a festival every year in june.In 2016 it will be the 72nd anniversary of the normandy landings.This site has info about it i didn't go on the site but found it by entering normandy festival 2016. There's a lot to do on according to the site.If your interested it's worth a look at. The site to look for is www.ot.baieducotentin.fr.

Update Reply
GL Blue @ 13/10/2015 11:20  

By the way it's 340 KM not miles. It works out at 211.266 miles.

Update Reply
GL Blue @ 13/10/2015 12:23  

i would have been really interested in this trip but if it's planned for the anniversary of the d-day landings it will clash with the TT which i'm planning on attending next year.

i did a couple of trips to france with a few friends in 93 and 94.
on the last day before we caught the ferry we visited one of the cemeteries (very moving) and point du hoc also we had a brief look at omaha beach then visited one of the d-day museums which if my memory serves me correctly was in carentan. one strange sight on the journey from point du hoc to the museum was an ordinary farm yard filled with about 20+ rusty military vehicle's from the invasion.
as others have said, to get a full understanding of the scale and a feel for the dire struggles of the troops (and civilians) and what was happening at that time i don't think a whistle stop tour would be enough.

p.s
i think a ferry crossing would be better than the eurostar because you go direct to where you want to be and you would also be able to get a slight feel for the apprehension, fear, expectation and so many other emotions the troops may have felt as they were taken across the channel. probably feeling like they were on a ride that they couldn't get off.

Update Reply
mikedabike @ 21/10/2015 16:25  

I did a 5 day tour of Normandy I was hoping to see both American and British landing sites But only got to see a fraction of the American sites and did not have time to see any British landing sites. So I would recommend at least a 2 week trip or plan a couple of trips of at least a week each.
Of the places I visited I suggest Saint-Mere-Eglise. Omaha and Utah beaches. and the cemetry at Colleville Sur Mere.
There are countless other places to visit. I don't think you will be dissapointed wherever you go in Normandy.

Update Reply
Vladamir @ 21/10/2015 18:26  

It seems like the best way to go is make a plan of places you want to see then go from there.From what i can make out from one site there are about 12 british war cemeteries plenty of museums the choice is your's.It still looks like the ferry is the way to go.I don't suppose it matters when you go,the sites and museums are always open but it would be nice to go in the summer sometime.

Update Reply
GL Blue @ 22/10/2015 16:03  

Cant do this one, shame was looking forward to it

Update Reply
JP @ 22/10/2015 16:44  

Can't do this one. Shame, was looking forward to it.

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 22/10/2015 19:15  

Done the WW1 and WW2 stuff (well some of it) !
The D day beaches in Normandy are spread along a surprising length of coastline, to do it all in detail would take several visits. However it is possible to take in the major sites in around 5 days but it will leave you hungry for more!
The Americian cemetry above Omaha is not to be missed, very thought provoking..the MULBERRY HARBOUR at Arromanches and asc museums worth seeing, the Pont de Hoc strongpoint is incredible, there are several gun batteries and emplacments to be seen with good museums inside, St Marie Eglise has much to see, the museum at Bayeux is good too,the Merville guns, so much....I happy to assist any planning and would go again for sure.

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 23/10/2015 01:28  

There is also a ferry service from Newhaven to Dieppe. I think the festival starts on 6th June, but it doesn't mean you have to be there for the festival, you could go before or after.Would be good to get dates to suit most who would like to go. There are places to stay that cater for groups of bikers with secure over night parking.
Just a matter of finding the right one.It saves taking a lot of camping gear.

Update Reply
GL Blue @ 24/10/2015 12:11  

By the look of it the best ferry looks like portsmouth to le havre plus it's not far to caen from there which looks like a good place to start from.

Update Reply
GL Blue @ 28/10/2015 15:55  

Is this event likely to be a goer, i hope so because i would like to do this.

Update Reply
DAVE VM @ 03/01/2016 22:21  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email