MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Further training

Further training - Forums [Biker Match] Further training - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Further training

I fancy doing a bit of further training this year. the only thing I have ever done was Bikesafe about 8 years ago. can anybody advise, help, offer their services or otherwise. I'm not sure how to proceed in shall we say 'an orderly manner'. I have heard varying reports on things like BAM etc so wondered what 'real world' advice I could get. One ice cream for the winning answer

Update Reply
VFR800AJ @ 05/02/2015 16:54  

First off I suggest you get a Ride Check with the IAM - some IAM groups are offering these for free in areas where the BikeSafe initiative isn't running anymore.

I did the IAM Skills For Life course and for the cost it's impossible to beat it for value. It's not for everyone, I know, but I'm a big fan.

The most important thing is that you want to do some further training, so whatever you choose to do, hopefully it'll make you into a safer rider :-)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/02/2015 17:20  

I did the Bikesafe in Leicester a few years ago. It was a fantastic day, really well worth it. I learnt plenty about positioning and do generally try and follow the advice when I remember.
I started biking in 1977 and this is the only training I've ever had apart from my brother showing me how to get started with the clutch and gears!!!!

Update Reply
Guzziguy123 @ 05/02/2015 19:37  

As you know , I did my DAS last May - so I am relatively new back on the road as far as biking. I started my IAMS training in October (probably not the best time to start - going into the winter) but it has been really well worth it. Each session lasts about 2-3hrs and costs me £10 (for the guys petrol) - I think I had to pay £69 to become a member. I can do the training when it fits into my schedule and the stuff that I have learnt has been invaluable. Some of it is a bit 'rigid' but if you keep an open mind..... I surely wouldnt have gone out in some of the wet conditions over this winter had I not been training - and it has really boosted my confidence - and I hope, my riding!

Update Reply
justjude @ 07/02/2015 07:05  

Can I have my ice cream now ?

Update Reply
justjude @ 07/02/2015 07:06  

Err he cannot change you for petrol and you can not give him money for the training as they are NOT qulified instructors by the DVLA. You can only offer buy him his tea coffee or breakfast. Yet another reason the AIM should be banned

Update Reply
JP @ 07/02/2015 07:11  

Some IAM groups will let their Obsevers ask for a contribution towards their petrol costs - remember that they're volunteers doing this in their own time - the group's up here have set a max contribution of £6 per run. That said, my Observer never asked for petrol money, I just bought the coffee and cakes at the debrief at the end of each run.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/02/2015 19:29  

So now the IAM can change the law they can not charge for a service they are not qualified to give.

Update Reply
JP @ 07/02/2015 21:10  

JP - chillax ! They are just folks that wanna help increase folks confidence and awareness on the road. They dont 'charge' but I give him £10 for his petrol and HE buys the coffee !! lol Since I have done some DAS training I KNOW that my riding has improved cos I am more aware of what to look for out there ....... and I 'feel' more in control. I LOVE being in control x

Update Reply
justjude @ 08/02/2015 08:26  

You will never change my feelings towards the AIM they are self appointed nobody's who have NO real qualification so can not charge for anything except membership to the group.

Update Reply
JP @ 08/02/2015 09:06  

JP ...it's IAM ! lol - I know what ya think....s'ok

Update Reply
justjude @ 08/02/2015 20:50  

I loved the first lessons I had... by an NI bikecop traffic branch officer...the best there is IMO! After couple sessions with him I was out in the snow and rain not giving a flyin f***.... I don't think I needed any further training from him after that...kept tellin him you should charge more :) Only further training you need in my own personal opinion is ride in more different terrains/weathers.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/02/2015 01:13  

interesting subject, and do you know what lulu there is a lot of truth in what you say,

Update Reply
gordy100 @ 09/02/2015 08:49  

Aim Iam ? Whether any good can be obtained from being 'trained' by someone not qualified to train. Is I believe a moo point. Just a cow's opinion. Lol

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 10/02/2015 01:19  

The IAM makes a very clear distinction - your Observer is there to watch your riding and then offer feedback and suggestions.

It no doubt enters a gray area around what is and is not training, but it helps lots of people every year to become safer more confident riders, so the value is clearly there.

Since I'm currently going through the training to become an Observer I can categorically state that it's no easy task to become an Observer, and the standards expected in theoretical knowledge and practical bike handling skills are very demanding.

So while the IAM categorically states it's not 'training' , it's definitely valuable advice, from people who have worked hard to be in a position to offer that advice.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/02/2015 13:23  

I havnt done any IAM courses so I cant comment to much on them,but I have been out on ride outs with people who have,so what training do you need to become an observer if its not training ?

Update Reply
gordy100 @ 10/02/2015 17:07  

I think that the IAMS observers (or ROSPA or any rider/driver trainer) has much to consider. They have to make the appointment and keep it - around their own life schedule. They have paperwork to upkeep. They have their own bike to keep legal and maintained. When you are observing somebody out on the road there is a myriad of stuff to look out for....weather, road surface, traffic, signage - and thats for your own riding PLUS watching the other persons observations, how they use their gears, brakes, mirrors....their management of traffic situations. I cant imagine how hard it must be. Then they have to be able to communicate stuff to folks - might be good stuff, might be information which has to be correct and it might be bad ....its gotta be offered in the right way !! They do it for practically nothing...HATS OFF to them !

Update Reply
justjude @ 10/02/2015 23:06  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email