MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Practical Test!!

Practical Test!! - Forums [Biker Match] Practical Test!! - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Practical Test!!

I don't know if this is the right forum, but I'd love to ride, (money or lack of is the only thing stopping me getting a bike licence. I'm confused about test rules, I thought I was restricted to a 125cc bike, til I've passed my test, but it would appear that if I took my test on one I'd be restricted in engine size. It would appear from the gov.uk site I need to do the practical test on a 595cc or above machine. https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-practical-test/rules-for-mopeds-and-motorcycles-used-in-the-practical-riding-test

Update Reply
Elflady @ 27/04/2014 12:13  

I took my test when all you had to do was ride round the block on your 250 and not fall off. It was the week after I passed my car test and i had the same guy.... so easy No1 son passed his a couple of years ago and altogether it was almost £700 with lessons and tests (which I had to pay) which gave him a restricted licence for two years Now It's all changed again.... It used to be "direct access" if you were over 21 you could take your test on a 500cc bike but now.... who knows I'll ask No1 son when he's in

Update Reply
Julestools @ 27/04/2014 13:01  

All changed Elflady, I was quite lucky in that i passed mine prior to these changes going through. PM Ragnar no 1 as he is bike instructor.

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 27/04/2014 17:11  

Just it's confusing, what's the point of learning on a 125, then if after passing your test you want to ride any size bike? To do that it would appear I've got to take my test on a 595cc machine or above. Then again with cars once I passed my driving test I could drive a car of any size engine. What's the point of getting a 125, if I've got to take my test on a 595 cc or above? Yep I'll ask Ragnar.

Update Reply
Elflady @ 27/04/2014 20:15  

I think it's to stop young lads from getting a big bike before they've grown up enough to control it.... when I was a lad you passed your test and got a GS thou on tic.... then you crashed it and died (I got a T100R Daytona and got left behind )

Update Reply
Julestools @ 27/04/2014 21:37  

here's an explanation which might help Elflady
http://www.visordown.com/learners/a2-motorcycle-licence-explained/22034.html

Update Reply
ExupRichR1 @ 01/05/2014 10:50  

Talk to TAB007, she's currently jumping through the same set of hoops?

Update Reply
Richard T @ 02/05/2014 21:30  

There are three licence's and test categories under the new rules: ‘A1’ for 125s (17 years of age), ‘A2’ for up to 47bhp (19 years of age) and ‘A’ (24 years of age) for unrestricted machines. Anyone who take a test on a smaller bike can re-take a test on a bigger bike after 2 years of holding a licence if they want to ride anything bigger, no matter what their age is. ie: if a 19 year old takes a A2 test, at 21 they can take the A licence and ride full powered bikes. The reason it doesn't happen with cars is that the rules are make by people who would love to see us bike riders off the road and be making it hard to get the licence in the first place will stop the young ones getting into bikes.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 09/05/2014 16:48  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email