MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

HID lights

HID lights - Forums [Biker Match] HID lights - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

HID lights

I own a FZS 600, a cracking bike but the headlight lets it down, I was thinking of putting a HID light conversion on the bike but then I read this. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html Any suggestions as to how I can improve the headlight without making it illegal?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/03/2014 20:57  

light both lights up on dip and see if you can put twin filament bulbs in both sides have a look at this mate ** don't go silly on the wattage ** it seems that the sun doesn't set in japan http://foc-u.co.uk/?topic=181.0

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/03/2014 22:06  

Osram Nightbreakers made a fair improvement on my ST4, just a straight bulb swap, might be worth a try. Got'em cheap on Fleabay

Update Reply
Imola72 @ 17/03/2014 22:51  

+ 1 on that I72 Put them in my little CBR They make a vast improvement to what were already great lights

Update Reply
Emzed @ 17/03/2014 23:02  

Well all I'll say is they turned the headlamp from something barely adequate into seriously good. Had to buy them in packs of 2 but meant I had a spare dip and main, Nightbreaker+ last longer than the originals apparently

Vehicle selector here:

http://am-application.osram.info/publish/index_en.html

Update Reply
Imola72 @ 18/03/2014 09:19  

I have fitted HID lamps to my GS. I love them.

It's only set up on dip beam as they take too long to warm up to be any use on high beam.

After adjusting the beam settings there's not too much dazzle and the visablity us majic. Basically making high beam redundant.

Cars defiantly know I'm there so a massive saftey plus.

Don't realy care if there not legal tbh. To convert back it's just a bulb to put it back again. At the end if the day I have had enough of car drivers saying 'sorry I didn't see you mate'!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/03/2014 09:24  

Apparently the latest from Osram is the Nightbreaker Unlimited, you can get them on your favourite auction site for £11 each, dip & main.

Update Reply
Imola72 @ 18/03/2014 11:04  

Found a pair for a bargain price I'll be adding them to my new Baby before she goes for the MOT Maybe even get myself a spare set at that price Although they are claimed to last much longer than "normal" tungsten lamps http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380817967547?_trksid=p2055120...EBIDX%3AIT Just be careful to select the twin blister pack H4 (or whichever fitment is appropriate) option, in the drop down menu Which are £12.95 NOT £8.55

Update Reply
Emzed @ 18/03/2014 21:31  

absolutely on the nightbreaker. got them in xj. brilliant.

Update Reply
xj @ 19/03/2014 11:38  

thanks all! Haven't had chance to source a pair yet most likely get some over the weekend.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/03/2014 19:28  

I've a HID on the Tigger, dip beam only not main, fitted by the previous owner.
Pain in the ass really.
On the plus side people might see me coming but that's set against the fact they a) won't be able to see me indicating and b) I most likely dazzle them.
One day I might get round to taking the HID off and going back to normal for safety.
In the meantime I just ride round the disadvantages and act cautious like keeping points a and b in mind.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 19/03/2014 19:32  

Fitted twin HID kits to my GTR1400 a couple of years back. Illumination at night much better, I ride a lot of unlit country roads. Also much more noticeable to other traffic. Dipping no problem, a solenoid moves the light source relative to the reflector, so no warm-up delay! Issue with reliability though, today one is working but not dipping, other not illuminating at all. Might have to take the kit off and replace the original H4 bulbs while I sort it out. Thankfully just 'plug and play'. Hopefully just duff auxillary relays?

Update Reply
Richard T @ 20/03/2014 20:45  

I had a proper HID on my ZZR, complete with ballast etc. It was excellent compared to the standard bulb, and I never had any reliability issues with it. It did say that if dipped/main wasn't working to lubricate the rails the unit slid on to move between main and dipped.

The bike went through its mot with the HID in and passed no problem.

My Vara has twin headlamps and with Osram hi intensity bulbs in there's simply no need for HID - the light put out by the Osrams is excellent.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/03/2014 20:05  

The h4 conversion kits shouldnt have an issue wth the dim dip but if you have two h7 bulbs (a la BMW) then you do get a warm up issue as one bulb is main and the other is dip...now if i could get an H4 set up in the GS the whole world would light up 8-)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/03/2014 20:12  

Mine's using h1 and h3, never considered HID just went for the Osram Nightbreakers, simple, effective and not too expensive.

Update Reply
Imola72 @ 21/03/2014 20:34  

Got fed up with HID headlights not behaving: one out altogether, one not dipping. Unplugged everything and went back to H4 'Blue' filament bulbs.
Now to work out how to safely test & repair the HID kits - very high voltages involved! Any automotive electricians here?

Update Reply
Richard T @ 22/03/2014 17:19  

Richard all I have seen on here and other places about HID Lights is there a pain in the ass. Is it worth the trouble

Update Reply
JP @ 22/03/2014 19:20  

Well having paid £120 for the pair I'd really like to get them working again! Relays were OK, not sure what to try next, waiting for some spare time.

Update Reply
Richard T @ 06/05/2014 13:39  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email