MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Back on the road

Back on the road  - Forums [Biker Match] Back on the road  - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Back on the road

I need advice on what I need to do to get my bike on the road after having spent a few months in the garage. I'm new to motorbiking, and had a few issues last year with safety as my back brake mechanism completely fell apart due to poor servicing at a Honda dealership and I've not been out on it since it has been repaired.
I've been reading in MCN about things you have to do to a bike before getting it back on the road if it's been resting over winter, but I'm not sure what?
I have a Honda CBF 125, and I have oil in a spray can but not sure what to do with it?
I want to take it out for a ride this weekend if the weather is ok, but am a bit worried about it not being road worthy?? Any advice would be great?
Many thanks in advance x

Update Reply
TAB007 @ 28/02/2014 18:48  

Firstly, don't get stressed about it It's all very straight forward common sense 1... Check that the battery is fully charged 2... Check tyre pressures 3... Make sure the levers are freely moving on the handlebars 4... Make sure the rear brake is operating without sticking on 5... Check the engine oil level 6... If you left petrol in the tank it should be OK But if its not full, then you might want to put some fresh in and give the bike a good rock about to mix it up, this will maximise the chances of the fuel being good enough to start the motor I've seen bikes start with petrol that's been in the tank for more than 4 years Then start the engine & check that all the lights (inc brake lights) & indicators are working If all is to your satisfaction get your gear on and enjoy your ride Any further questions don't be afraid to ask There's no such thing as a "daft question" If I've missed anything, I'm sure the others will soon let me know

Update Reply
Emzed @ 28/02/2014 19:35  

Thanks Emzed, but how do I check that the battery is fully charged? What should the tyre pressures be, is there a website that will give me the pressures for my bike? For me to put petrol in it I will need to ride it to the garage.
I'm stressing! lol

Update Reply
TAB007 @ 28/02/2014 19:43  

Hey calm down Tab Do you have a battery charger ? If not, you can do a quick check by turning the ignition on & pressing the horn, it will either deafen you or make a croaking/sqeaking noise If it's the latter, then you might need a friend with a car/bike & some jump leads to get it started But if you keep it running and take it for a spin that should put enough back in to start it again You should find the tyre pressures on a sticker on the chainguard, if not, then a search online will get you the info (I'll have a look myself & try to PM you the info but my tinterweb is very iffy @ mo) As for petrol don't worry about it if there's some in it'll most likely start on that, the suggestion of fresh was just a "belt & braces" approach but not essential as it's only a few "months" old not "years"

Update Reply
Emzed @ 28/02/2014 19:58  

Taboo, when are you planning on riding it again? I am off work this weekend and will come and show you how to go on if you want.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/02/2014 21:39  

Hi Traycie.. my little 125, Ziggy, hadn't been ridden for about 4 or 5 months, he had a bit of petrol in, but wouldn't start, (I'm more fortunate that I have a kick start as well as electric start) so we eventually got him going.

The tyres needed a bit of air, I've got 12v pump that plugs into the car ignition that cost me £3.99, if you don't have enough petrol, could you get to a petrol station and take a petrol can to get some?

Another tip... always try and put some fuel in your bike just before you park up after a ride out.. that way you will always be ready for the next run out

Emz has given you top advice there, all your lights etc should be ok.. mine were ..the only other thing I would suggest is to check your chain.

Make sure there's not too much 'play' in it , ( make sure it's not too loose) if it needs adjusting it's fairly easy to do, there will be plenty of videos on youtube or get a friend to help

Your first ride out might be a little wary.. for about 30 seconds, then I bet you will soon have that awesome grin on your face that biking gives you... I know I did!

Hope to see you out and about sometime soon!

Tek care and happy motorbiking!

Kaz x

Update Reply
Karey @ 01/03/2014 09:44  

Thanks for all the advice, Norman kindly came over yesterday and did a complete check showing me how to do things for myself so next time I can be a bit more self reliant. We then went for a little ride to check it was all ok and yes Kaz I was a bit wary at the beginning but got my mono back after a few miles! I'm going to halfords today to get a tyre pressure gauge and pump! Thanks again all - just need to pass big bike test now?? Lol x

Update Reply
TAB007 @ 02/03/2014 10:55  

So pleased to read that you've got rolling again Tab Well done for being prepared to "have a go" yourself You now know that there are folk out there who want to help you enjoy your bike Keep getting out on the bike, the more you ride the easier it gets Try to ride every day if you can, it does make a difference, even if it's just round the block a few times I hope you manage to get the training you need

Update Reply
Emzed @ 02/03/2014 15:48  

Just to add, tyre pressures will be written on the tyre wall (side), should be checked cold

Update Reply
ExupRichR1 @ 02/03/2014 21:01  

Thanks all x

Update Reply
TAB007 @ 04/03/2014 16:44  

Sorry chaps - beg to differ with ExupRichR1 - the markings on the tyre itself and the maximum and minimum the tyre construction will stand. The tyre manufacturer has no idea what bike the tyre will be fitted to! As was said earlier the correct pressures should be on a sticker somewhere on the bike, or in the habdbook if you have one. Failing that a phone call to the nearest dealer should extract the information.
Not sure about smaller bikes, but on big ones a difference of 2-3 psi from the norm can make a huge difference to the feel and handling of the bike, as well as the condition of the tyre itself.

Update Reply
Richard T @ 06/03/2014 20:44  

hi tab good to see you got lots of good advice above ,and your back riding again , a good way to remember daily checks is :- check both Brakes are working , just by applying and trying to push bike forwards check there is no Oil drips under engine, so what was in there on yer weekly check is still in there check all lights are working ,dipped and main beam ,tail light and brake light on both brake levers, indicators front and rear. check Tyres (not pressure) just look at front tyre as you check front brake ,if it bulges out at bottom u know u got a slow puncture or worse , otherwise what u put in them on weekly checks is still in there, same with rear tyre . check Suspension , just bounce on seat to see if suspension is moving freely , and once again when checking front brake , u will pay note to see if front suspension moves freely up and down . now take each RED. letter , what does it spell ??? B.O.L.T.S do these checks while bike is warming up and you will lose no time at all ,

Update Reply
buzz_sp1 @ 06/03/2014 22:01  

Thanks Richard and Buzz - BOLTS, I will remember that. I bought a tyre pressure gauge and a tyre inflator pump thing! I'm getting the tools at last! I could become a bike mechanic in 10.years time if I keep this up! Lol

Update Reply
TAB007 @ 07/03/2014 19:42  

Don't let the tyre comments about pressure's worry you if your tyre pressure is out by a few psi it will make very little difference at the speed you will be riding. Before you all jump on me saying I don't know what I'm talking about 99% of tyre gauges are that far out of calibration you don't know what your real psi is anyway as they are only a guide

Update Reply
JP @ 07/03/2014 19:52  

Quite right JP

Update Reply
Emzed @ 07/03/2014 21:39  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email